Greetings from CA :)!

I try to make the best of it I can, the social issue I knew would be a problem but it can improve by those deaf activities which I've been longing for a long time...like I feel empty without other deaf people in my life.

I try to make the best of it I can, the social issue I knew would be a problem but it can improve by those deaf activities which I've been longing for a long time...like I feel empty without other deaf people in my life.

Exactly!!!! It's pretty much impossible to assimulate into hearing society.
I've never understood why it's OK for other minorities to have their own schools, camps retreats and other stuff, but for some reason dhh kids are supposed to "assimulate" into society. I really do think the people who promote mainstreaming/inclusion have forgotten that it's no longer 1963 and we don't exactly live in an Ozzie and Harriet world..... it's really hard for kids in middle/high school who don't "fit the norm" .... And much as parents and hearing AVT/ otherwise pro assimulate into the mainstream "experts" might think the type of high school where dhh kids have the classic "high school in the 1960's" experiance, AND that is diverse and accepting is VERY rare. It is STILL so common for kids to struggle socially.....just as they have for decades........You're not alone. I talk with dhh people who could be your grandparents, who were mainstreamed/oral and their stories are the SAME. Jill said that she would hear the exact same stories from her clients....oftentimes they were kids who seemed to do well on paper.
It really does seem like even the kids who do well on paper, very often have the social issues.
Try as hard as possible to attend a deaf camp next year.....Sidney did and it changed her life!

Back