Greeting All :)

lovejoy

Reaction score
Hi everyone, my name is Joyce and live in California. I am not deaf but am learning lots about your community in my class. I have to right a paper on Cochlear implants (whether i believe young children should be able to choose to get them or not). I am having difficulties due to the fact i do not know anyone's personal stories. I want to be as informed as possible in order to make a correct assesment with my opinions. i hope that you will help me by sharing your stories.

What is your opinion on CIs in young children?
Have you had the implant and do you find it to be an important part of your life?
Identity crisis or young kids who dont know they are deaf?

Also, is it difficult to go about life without hearing? as in getting jobs..etc?

I hope that my questions do not come off as nosey or ignorant, because i truly would love to understand this culture.

Thank you for your time
-joyce:wave:

Look at it this way. Before there were succesful heart transplants, doctors took a lot of risk and lost a lot of lives trying to get an idea of what would work and what would not. Neverthlees, people "earn" a little more time here on earth because they alowed themself to be "an experiment" however, doctors, at that time, would not risk a small childs life for an experiment even with the parents approval. Today there is much known about the risk and benefit of heart surgery/transplant, most all people benefit today thanks to those who died for these benefits.
Today, what is your opinion of the chance that a ci will be succesful? I have heard many many different studies on this and still i dont have the slighitest idea of the succes rate. So until there is a much, much better way of judging the proceddure and success, lets hold off with kids. Having a ci is not for everyone who has a hearing lost and certainly there is not enough understanding of just what would qualify as a "facts basic" opinion of any doctor saying that a ci will make a person "hear again".

Back