Grammar for"i know that the dog is brown"

richardchaven

Reaction score
One could sign KNOW (self) DOG BROWN, but that might mean "I know the brown dog" instead of "I know that the dog is brown"

I thought perhaps that one would topicize the characteristic (e.g. DOG BROWN, KNOW [self]), but I'm not sure that makes clear the thing one knows (the dog's color) as opposed to the dog one knows.

Thanks for the help

You can also set it up as a rhetorical question/answer.

In the question part, you would be asking what color the dog is. In the answer part, you would be answering brown.

The English sentence you're using is a little odd to decipher for emphasis. Are you defensively emphasizing the fact that you know the dog is brown? Or are you emphasizing that yes, indeed, the dog is brown and not some other color? That can make a difference as to how you would sign it. If there is no emphasis on "know" then it's not even necessary to sign that. If it's a response to someone's question, "What color is that dog?" then DOG BROWN might be all you need.

Context is important. :D

I know the dog is brown

The context is that I know that I know a fact (the color of the dog) rather than knowing the dog

Great, this is just what I'm looking for. Thank you.

I finally understand enough that I can tell how bad my grammar is. Besides the Green Books, where can I find lists or at least examples of these?

Not sure I totally understand what you are asking. I don't see a question mark so I guess you are making a statement.
which seems to be in answer to a question so you have already referenced the dog you are talking about.
you would at some point in the statement make a pointing gesture (as in HE/SHE)
[dog, point in a direction, brown, know)

Back