Grade 12 Biology ~ Help

RainGurl

Reaction score
If anyone has a test book of BIOLOGY 12 published by Nelosn and McGraw-Hill Ryerson, other texts at a Grade 12 level would be great.

Right now I am doing biological reactions ~ having alittle trouble in it.

I know there are four types of reactions:

dehydration synthesis
hydrolysis
oxidation/reduction
acid-based neturalization

What I am having trouble is in explaining how biolomolecules (ethanol, glucose + fructose = sucrose, etc.) react, going through each process

So, anyhow if anyone can clarify things for me, help me out, offer me some insight or just some additional information, it would greatly be appreicated.

Rain

if you'd asked me where pterophyta live, how nutrients get to the leaves of trees, what's thigmamorphogenesis, or how turtles mate, i could have helped you....

i've not done that stuff you're talking about in AGES :P maybe... i may not have done it :P

sorry

What exactly are you having trouble with? I know the four reaction types you're talking about, but I'm not sure where you're confused.

Ok, in the case of DNA (double helix) showing the sequence A-T, G-C, T-A, C-G) what is the reaction that is ocurring?

Four Reactions: Which one is it? Or is there more than one reaction?
dehydration synthesis
hydrolysis
oxidation/reduction

RainGurl said:
If anyone has a test book of BIOLOGY 12 published by Nelosn and McGraw-Hill Ryerson, other texts at a Grade 12 level would be great.

Right now I am doing biological reactions ~ having alittle trouble in it.

I know there are four types of reactions:

dehydration synthesis
hydrolysis
oxidation/reduction

What I am having trouble is in explaining how biolomolecules (ethanol, glucose + fructose = sucrose, etc.) react, going through each process

So, anyhow if anyone can clarify things for me, help me out, offer me some insight or just some additional information, it would greatly be appreicated.

Rain

Those are easy, but I will explain you when I get back from class.

I hope my explaination is better than your instructor. I'm trying to expalin it in a very simple way.

1)dehydration synthesis means the loss of water from an alcohol and to make
water.

Look at greek/latin roots (De- without Hydra- water) Synthesis= (to make)

Simple Example 1)
R-OH <--------> R=R + H20
This means the water has been made.

R- is a function group could be anything attached to it. Don't worry about the R, but the most important look at OH and H20

2)Hydrolysis means using a reaction that includes water, H20 that breaks into two molecules. It will form OH and H. Greek/Latin root (Hydro/hydra=water) suffix for (lysis= break down) hdyrolysis means to break the water molecules.

Example of this reaction

ex) Simple reaction

H20 <---> OH + H

dehydration synthesis
(h20) <--> hydrolysis (HO + H)

If the reaction of hydrolysis go from right to left, it will be dehydration synthesis. Because the two broken molecules are making water, it will be called dehdyration synthesis.

If the reaction of dehydration synthesis go from left to right, it will be hydrolysis. Because the water molecules has broken into two different molecules, it will be called hydrolysis.

*Hydrolysis - (water break)
*dehydration synthesis- ( broke water--> make)

3)oxidation/reduction

This is a very complex reaction and I will try my best to make it very simple. I will explain this later. It is pretty long to explain.

4)acid-based neturalization

Acid means to give a proton away. When your instructor kept saying "proton," he is talking about the hyrdogen that will be given away.

Ex 1)

H30+ is a strong acid so it will try to give the protron (hydrogen) away.

H30+ <---> H20 + H The h30+ has too many postive charges and wants to give one of their protons away.

Base means it wants more hydrogen/proton because it is not "happy" with insufficent hydrogens.

NaOH is a strong base and it wants to "steal" the proton from other molecules.

EX) R-Ch2-ch2-Br + NaOH --> RCH=Ch2 + NaBr + H20

I hope this is pretty clear. If no, I can take more time to explain and try to expand more.

Last edited:
RainGurl said:
Does DNA used the acid-base neturalization?

I would say no because DNA usually works in hdryolysis and dehydration synthesis. If we are using basic/acidc reactions in DNA, I'm sure that they would produce a wrong relationship for those living systems. It could form a deadly combinations because they could affect the change in DNA's relationship of their proteins and amino acids.

Does this answer your question?

Cane Corso said:
I would say no because DNA usually works in hdryolysis and dehydration synthesis. If we are using basic/acidc reactions in DNA, I'm sure that they would produce a wrong relationship for those living systems. It could form a deadly combinations because they could affect the change in DNA's relationship of their proteins and amino acids.

Does this answer your question?

DNA uses the reaction of buffers? I konw that because it controls and maintains the pH balance.

RainGurl said:
DNA uses the reaction of buffers? I konw that because it controls and maintains the pH balance.

Well, I would say no to this question again, because buffer is often use for chemicals to neutralize their protons. Buffer is often done in the lab where you are doing an experiment. I don't think it works like that inside DNA or anywhere inside our living sytems. I am not a biologist, but a chemist. DNA holds all genetic informations and tells those enzymes and proteins what to do and what substrate they should bind with. Enzymes and substrates play a big role to determine which pathways will need to go to. This is metabolic pathyway, you start with glucose ( has six carbons) to pyruvate ( 3 carbons) then to COAEnzyme, to cirtic acid/kerb cycle...

It is complex to understand how to maintain a balanced ph in blood, it takes specific substrates to perform a job. I don't think you need to know that stuff for 12th grade biology because they don't discuss those kinds of topic. This information will not be shared until you are taking biochemistry because it studies on metabolism, proteins, amino acids and peptides.

LOL well that is what I am taking, is biology 12 and it's biochemistry. I need it as a pre req for nursing. I have to take my great 11, and 12 chemistry as well.

Anyhow if you have MSN can you either add me or me add you. I think you would be able to help me a great deal.

Thanks.

Back