Gracie Jiu-Jistu

MaxUFC

Reaction score
This Gracie Jiu-Jistu are best grappling group around the world for more than 70 years. They did starting Mixed Martial Arts (MMA) what we got Ultimate Fighting Championship then led to other MMA events like Pride Fighting Championship and King Of The Cage.

Now, MMA is growing more popluar nowdays as most recently, 18,000+ fans watched Strike Force event with Frank Shamrock vs Casear Gracie in San Jose, CA. UFC 60 take in Staple Center (home of Lakers-Clippers) this May and would take more than 20,000 fans to watch Welter Weight Champion Matt Hughes vs UFC legend Royce Gracie.

Check here about the Gracie Family (look up for generation button) and you won't believe how many Gracie got into Jiu Jistu system...more than 8 guys took into MMA. I met Royce and Renzo at MMA events...whoa thery more friendly :) than thier fight night face expression :mad2:!

www.gracieacademy.com/index_f.html

By the way, I wanna to said THANK YOU, Gracie Family for made this happen

Last edited:
Gracie Jiu-Jistu (and Brazilian Jiu-Jistu) is a great tool for me to have. Back in the 'old days' police would fight with people and struggle to get them into handcuffs...and unfortunately, people as well as officers would often get hurt. Back when I was in the police academy, grapple was an integral part of the program..and I use it frequently on the street. Now when somebody resists and wants to fight, I take them to the ground and do some kind of 'funky stuff' to get their hands behind their backs and the cuffs on them.

The one drawback to the program is there is not a lot of emphasis on weapon retention (in our academy there was, but not in any Jiu-Jistu schools in our area so the academy was the only place I learned it). The thing I don't like about grappling is that it puts me up close with the person and he/she has access to my belt, including my gun. I'm not comfortable having people that close to me in a fighting situation. The positive is that you gain control quickly and with some skills in weapon retention, you can keep them off of your belt.

Its an effective tool because less people get hurt, a small officer now stands a chance against a very large and strong man (grapple is based on body mechanics and not strength).

Taylor said:
Gracie Jiu-Jistu (and Brazilian Jiu-Jistu) is a great tool for me to have. Back in the 'old days' police would fight with people and struggle to get them into handcuffs...and unfortunately, people as well as officers would often get hurt. Back when I was in the police academy, grapple was an integral part of the program..and I use it frequently on the street. Now when somebody resists and wants to fight, I take them to the ground and do some kind of 'funky stuff' to get their hands behind their backs and the cuffs on them.

The one drawback to the program is there is not a lot of emphasis on weapon retention (in our academy there was, but not in any Jiu-Jistu schools in our area so the academy was the only place I learned it). The thing I don't like about grappling is that it puts me up close with the person and he/she has access to my belt, including my gun. I'm not comfortable having people that close to me in a fighting situation. The positive is that you gain control quickly and with some skills in weapon retention, you can keep them off of your belt.

Its an effective tool because less people get hurt, a small officer now stands a chance against a very large and strong man (grapple is based on body mechanics and not strength).

Hi Taylor, Do not hesitate to call for back-up and have more police officers help you fight the suspects also do not be afraid to step away with lightening rapidity and point the gun and order a suspect to the ground spread eagle point. There is no sense in fighting if you can point the gun to the suspect and order the bad guy to the ground.

As for your gun belt. If you go to the ground, try to make sure you are on the opposite side where he can't reach your gun holster and always, always , always watch the bad guy's hands at all times.

Remember people's hands can injure or even kill be it that the bad guy employs a weapon of opporounity or a gun or even his own bare hands wheter he is trained or not a trained man. Watch those hands at all times. When you are on your time off , practice refining and training your eyes to:

" look at the hands without looking at the hands "

so to not give away the fact that you are actively watching his hands then once you become good at this then incorporate that into your otj police work.
(otj = On The Job )

Then it will become almost automatic whenever you approach suspects. I was taught this technique by the returning U.S. Marine combat veterans. I have found this technique to help Deaf people also as going on about their daily lives.

I am always figuring out ways that would help Deaf people gain better self defense techniques and tactics that would really apply to Deaf people.

One good book I have read that would help you, Taylor is :

http://www.paladin-press.com/detail.aspx?ID=1268

I go to the sections on the website in the following categories that would make the most sense to a Deaf man for self defense purposes :

Combat Classics, Combat Shooting , Firearms , Knives & Knife Fighting , Martial Arts , Military Science , Self-Defense , Sniping , Survival & Self-Reliance , Terrorism

I stay away from the another books that are alittle more extreme because they would not realistically meet the needs of a Deaf man for self defense.

My favorite section is the military science section.

Gracie Jiu-Jistu as well as Brazilian Jiu-Jistu are good to know but do not stop there, keep training in many combat proven systems as well as seeking on your own a more simple, brutal, direct and effective way to stop the bad guy with a bag of dirty tricks that do work.

I like three manuals the best as they offer simple brutal direct and effective way to stop the bad guy. There are a few techniques in there that are ok and there are much more better ways to stop a bad guy.

http://www.paladin-press.com/detail.aspx?ID=343

http://www.paladin-press.com/detail.aspx?ID=1182

http://www.paladin-press.com/detail.aspx?ID=168

I hope this helps and stay safe as always.....

Mr. Zookeeper has a great video on Tae Kwon Do for deaf. It is all in ASL. A deaf student teaches it under the direction of his master instructor. Boght it for Little G, but he has to wait about 2 more years before dad will let him in class.

zookeeper4321 said:
Mr. Zookeeper has a great video on Tae Kwon Do for deaf. It is all in ASL. A deaf student teaches it under the direction of his master instructor. Boght it for Little G, but he has to wait about 2 more years before dad will let him in class.

Hi Zookeeper, Would you happen to have the link to the website? It seems to me from what you are saying is that the video is more geared towards the Deaf kids or do they have the videos for the Deaf adults too as well as for the Deaf kids? If it is for the Deaf kids then I can buy one to save for later when I get married and start a family with my wife. That would be some good stuff if they have one for the Deaf adults too as well. I like the DVD's myself. Does that come in DVD format ?

I should say a word of warning that the website I mentioned in the above post is for adults only as this is not for sports. This stuff on the Paladin Press website is for life and death situations which means they are life saving measures to be taken in case of a real serious self defense emergency only. Stay away from the more extreme stuff that they have on the website. Look for what would realistically help you as a Deaf man or a Deaf woman. They do have some good stuff for the ladies too.

God Bless .....:) :thumb:

Tae Kwon Do Video

Heath- In researching this I found out the profits go to deaf charities. It is no longer available thru my normal wholesaler (AWMA), but I found a website on the video cover. www.DeafExcel.com This is for all ages. We normally don't take kids under 6-8 for this type of class. It depends on their maturity. Of course, adults and children need to be physically capable of the moves. As far as I can tell it's VHS only. It contains blocks, puches, kicks, and forms. Good Luck!

If you try to squeeze off rounds from your gun, Taylor, and it only clicks, don't throw away your piece in disgust.
You could simply be out of ammo.

Beowulf said:
If you try to squeeze off rounds from your gun, Taylor, and it only clicks, don't throw away your piece in disgust.
You could simply be out of ammo.

The handgun will cycle back and stop in position to incidiate he is out of ammo then he hits the magazine release then re-loads to get back in the gunfight. With a revolver that may happen then he would have to have speedloaders with him. A semi-auto handgun will let you know when you are out of ammo. If your gun does not work and you tried the jamming procedures then re-holster and call back for back up and pick up some pretty good sized rocks and throw the rock to the bad guy's head when he raises his head to shoot at you. The most important thing is to stay out of the line of fire and when you do knock him out cold then take the gun from him and shoot him in the head for trying to shoot you. I learned that from the returning US Marines from Iraq.

MaxUFC said:
This Gracie Jiu-Jistu are best grappling group around the world for more than 70 years. They did starting Mixed Martial Arts (MMA) what we got Ultimate Fighting Championship then led to other MMA events like Pride Fighting Championship and King Of The Cage.

Now, MMA is growing more popluar nowdays as most recently, 18,000+ fans watched Strike Force event with Frank Shamrock vs Casear Gracie in San Jose, CA. UFC 60 take in Staple Center (home of Lakers-Clippers) this May and would take more than 20,000 fans to watch Welter Weight Champion Matt Hughes vs UFC legend Royce Gracie.

Check here about the Gracie Family (look up for generation button) and you won't believe how many Gracie got into Jiu Jistu system...more than 8 guys took into MMA. I met Royce and Renzo at MMA events...whoa thery more friendly :) than thier fight night face expression :mad2:!

www.gracieacademy.com/index_f.html

By the way, I wanna to said THANK YOU, Gracie Family for made this happen

Frank Shamrock totally dismantled Ceasar Gracie in 21 seconds!!! KO! It was beautiful. I'm not saying that Gracie Jiu Jitsu is ineffective - it is practically the core soul of fighting. There will always be disadvantages and advantages when it comes to fighting. I like Sambo and kickboxing. I have found both of them to be effective. (Example: UFC heavyweight Andre Arkoski trains both russian sambo and some kickboxing.) (Another example: Pride fighters such as Alistar Overeem is quickly climbing up through the ranks of elite fighters - his main style of fighting is kickboxing but in the last few fights he has shown to be no joke when it comes to ground fighting since he has won by submission.) (Last example: Who can defy Pride heavyweight champion Fedor?? That man is not human and brutal. He's probably more machine than man. He trains in russian sambo.) I currently train at the Carlos Machado Jiu Jitsu academy in Dallas.

I can't wait for UFC 60! Its gonna be awesome! But one question remains... will Royce's age be a factor?

Heath said:
The handgun will cycle back and stop in position to incidiate he is out of ammo then he hits the magazine release then re-loads to get back in the gunfight. With a revolver that may happen then he would have to have speedloaders with him. A semi-auto handgun will let you know when you are out of ammo. If your gun does not work and you tried the jamming procedures then re-holster and call back for back up and pick up some pretty good sized rocks and throw the rock to the bad guy's head when he raises his head to shoot at you. The most important thing is to stay out of the line of fire and when you do knock him out cold then take the gun from him and shoot him in the head for trying to shoot you. I learned that from the returning US Marines from Iraq.
Or you could cut off your leg with your bayonet and hop over to beat the bastard silly with your bloody stump.

Beowulf said:
Or you could cut off your leg with your bayonet and hop over to beat the bastard silly with your bloody stump.

No Beowulf .....you are being silly but on a serious note, body parts can be employed as a weapon of opporounity. Just let the bone work itself while you hit the bad guy and the flesh will go against the bone which is alots like getting hit with a baseball bat. You also can stab somebody with the edge of the bone shards too as well.

I hope it does not come to that in a wartime situation but at least you know if you have to be involved in combat self defense for U.S. Homeland Security in a wartime environment.

Just remember that War is very Savage.

The another thing is if you can escape un-detected then run into a building and go up the stairs then with some rocks, strike the bad guy's head. Rocks can kill somebody then run downstairs and take the gun and kill him with a bullet to be extra sure .....

or

you can simply run away and get back up and friends show up with guns to
rip the enemy to pieces.

That will come in handy if we ever have a U.S. Homeland Security situation where we have to fight and defend ourselves against the terrorists on our own streets. I pray and hope it never comes to that.

Nobody in their right mind wants to be in a shooting war but it is good to learn this stuff as a man, wheter you are Deaf or Hearing.

You can watch " Shootouts " on the History Channel. They have some good combat education war stuff from the U.S. Troops on frontlines of Iraq and Afghanistan as well as talk to the returning combat veterans from the war too.

Heath said:
you can simply run away and get back up and friends show up with guns to
rip the enemy to pieces. ]QUOTE]

That's along the lines of my thoughts. A few of my friends are life insurance salesmen. Former Moonies to boot. Merciless.

That was interesting on these threads about Jiu Jistu and others. I wish I could attend these classes...if I am 20 year younger then that would be different. At least, I enjoyed to watch and learn like I attend New England Grappling Championship (NAGA event) where finest teams of Renzo Team vs Mario Sperry Team. I almost could telling what is grappler's next move than before like 15 years ago, I had no clue what heck Royce got fighers tap out alot in early UFC.

That is true - never be expect in any reality fighting or streetfight. I remmy one of my friend boasted that he can handle big guy and end up on the ground after he ate big guy's three punches while he did nothing got be stumbled down. That took less than 15 seconds...I say "oh boy that is quick one!"

Since then I had to use my head to keep avoid anything that can be smell "trouble"....Black Belt magazine gave good adivces and I took 'em.

I can't wait for UFC 60! Its gonna be awesome! But one question remains... will Royce's age be a factor?

Yeah! Royce's age may be factor? Maybe and his skills still alive....he would be wait for Matt Hughes's mistake. Royce had been trouble with last few fighters and now UFC has time limit that effect Royce's plan?.

I was not susprise Frank Shamrock beat Casear Gracie but did not expect 21 seconds. Nowdays everyone got familiar with Jiu-Jistu system better...I does respect Graice family that don't want to change anything on Jiu-Jistu for MMA or others. Same thing of Karate, Kung Fu or other martial arts to stick same ways. Only MMA fighters need to be all-round styles with wreslting, boxing, jiu jistu, etc.

I like to take the best from all kinds of different systems while keeping it simple brutal direct and very effective.

MaxUFC said:
Yeah! Royce's age may be factor? Maybe and his skills still alive....he would be wait for Matt Hughes's mistake. Royce had been trouble with last few fighters and now UFC has time limit that effect Royce's plan?.

I was not susprise Frank Shamrock beat Casear Gracie but did not expect 21 seconds. Nowdays everyone got familiar with Jiu-Jistu system better...I does respect Graice family that don't want to change anything on Jiu-Jistu for MMA or others. Same thing of Karate, Kung Fu or other martial arts to stick same ways. Only MMA fighters need to be all-round styles with wreslting, boxing, jiu jistu, etc.

Remember last year, when Royce fought against that 400+ lbs sumo in K-1? (Akbeno - not sure of spelling?) Royce beat him and I'm not surprised because no offense to Akbeno, but he has absolutely no skills. Sure he was a grand champion in sumo but sumo is NOT MMA. If you compare Matt Hughes skills to Akbeno, Matt is like 500 light years ahead of Akbeno. Remember that one time when Frank Trigg stunned Matt with a couple of punches and almost ground n pounded Matt to victory? Matt came back and won the match! Man that was defintely a war! Royce isn't a KO punch -- his skills are jiu jitsu. Matt's advantage will be youth, size, strength, stamia, and ability to ground n pound like a mad man. You are right, in order for Matt to win, his match will have to be flawless -- he cannot afford to make any mistakes cuz that is when Royce will be able to captialize on it. Matt's a smart fighter - his coach (Pat Mitletch) is probably one of the smartest coach/fighter so I think Matt will be going into that match knowing to avoid Royce's submissions/ground game. I'm sure Matt learned his mistake from the BJ Penn match and won't allow it to happen again.

Question - will Royce be wearing his GI? I highly doubt it cuz against Abkeno and Yoshida, he didn't wear his GI. Plus I don't think the NSAC (Nevada State Athletic Comission) allows GIs anyway.

BEOWULF said:
That's along the lines of my thoughts. A few of my friends are life insurance salesmen. Former Moonies to boot. Merciless.

Beowulf, I spit up my orange juice laughing so hard at this...

Back