Got my Phonak Cros today!

jackie010307

Reaction score
And I have to say I'm impressed so far! To be honest my expectations weren't that high going in, but I figured that something had to be better than nothing at all, which is what I can hear on the left side. I have only had profound level hearing loss for nearly 4 months. Before that I could hear some sound, just not a lot and very little word recognition since 09. Right now I am getting used to wearing them, but I do find them comfortable. I have the phonak cros h20 transmitter and bolero q50 for the receiver. I am occasionally tell which direction sound is coming from, which is very exciting! I had read some reviews of the cros but most of them were older and about technology that is somewhat outdated. I understand that a cros isn't for everyone, but I would definitely say it is worth it to try it out! I will add more when I've had it for a while!

I had a the CROS setup for a little about a month, I really liked the setup (then my hearing crapped out and there was the end of that!)

I lost hearing in my left ear suddenly, and for a year I lived with it. I was contemplating a BAHA, but then my right ear started to give me problems, since I needed a HA for the right ear I just did the CROS setup too. I liked it a lot, couldn't believe I had considered surgery instead. I was impressed and I too was starting to be able to get a sense of direction because there was a slight pitch change from the CROS aid. But, then my hearing in my right ear started to tank and now I have a CI, which again grateful I didn't get too serious about the BAHA, that would have sucked to have that surgery, only for it to not work because my "good" ear started to fail.

I think it should be mandatory people try a CROS setup before the BAHA, especially if you get the 30-45 day trail period anyway. Thankfully for me I was able to send my CROS setup back and get my money back, less the deposit. Small price to pay to try out the CROS setup before doing BAHA though.

I have it and I use it. However, the cros is not waterproof so it won't get continuous use in the summer.

The aid is superior to a lot I have worn, but, truly, the technology has changed.

While the setup I have isn't waterproof, it is water resistant. It does say in the manual that it is submersible up to 30 minutes and, if I remember correctly, up to 300 meters. I wouldn't actually swim with it, but the thought of rain or sweat doesn't worry me to much. That was one of the reasons I went with the setup of cros h2o and bolero q50 m13. I am out with the kids all summer and sweat will definitely be there!

I believe V Guy has the CROS set up that uses a size 312 battery which is not water resistant CROS set up.

The CROS set up you have Jackie is way more water resistant then the Phonak Naidas for example.

Some people that have the Phonak Q M13 hearing aids (and the CROS setup) actually go swimming with them.

I wouldn't try it with my Phonak Naidas as they are less water resistant.

Jackie, I believe from my memory that your water resistant rating is IP67. For the Phonak Naidas, they are IP57 so there is a huge different between the IP rating. I can't wait for Phonak to make more powerful hearing aids with a better IP rating.

Update, day three: I should have said before that the audiologist didn't turn the sound up all the way, and now I'm really noticing that! She said she will turn it up some at my first follow up but she wanted me to get used to it first. This is more noticeable at a distance and in noisy places. Yesterday my 6 year old daughter told me a secret in my deaf ear, and I heard it! That was a great moment. Before I had to worry about which side she was on, and then she would get frustrated that mommy couldn't hear her. Now I can! I know the aids aren't perfect, and in noisy situations they are helpful but they are definitely better when it's not so noisy. Perhaps when they are turned up all the way that will help, but even if it doesn't they are still worth it! I will add that I find them very comfortable to wear. At times I even forget they are there! Occasionally it will feel strange to have something in my ear, but if I take it out for just a minute and put it back it feels better. I know my 45 days are far from up but I'm pretty sure my decision is made and I will be keeping it!

You may not have UltraZoom activated which helps in noise :)

I don't think it is on there yet. She did say we will talk about which situations I have trouble with when I go back. She really wants me to spend some time just getting used to them before adding extra programs.

Update: I've had it a month now and I'm still loving it. There are situations that are still difficult, but they are easier than before. We went out to eat the other night and I was so nervous. Before all of the noise just made it impossible for me to hear anything because everything was just noise. This time I ended up sitting on the inside of the booth but was able to pick up the waiter's voice! I had conversations with all of the 6 other people at the table! Before I was limited to only the person sitting on my right. It did take a lot of concentration, and I didn't always get everything that was said, but I got about 80% of it. At work things are much better, also.

80% is very good :) Glad ya enjoying it :)

Last edited:
I am sort of curious about whether it would be more beneficial to me to have a partial CROS set-up for my left ear.
I wear Phonak Naidas in both ears but my left ear is mostly used for environmental sounds. If someone is on my left side, I don't know what they are saying.
Maybe CROS would be useful or maybe I should just get a CI...

Ecp: If I was wanting a CROS aid . I would go back to my audi and ask to trial it.

Sorry I don't know a lot about CROS systems but I am somebody who likes to trial as many non surgery options as I can before I have surgery

Sorry to dig up an old thread with my first post, but I am curious if OP has stuck with the cros system and how it has worked out.
I am looking at the cros system. I am 43 and have been totally deaf in my left ear since birth. However, I am now starting to have mild hearing loss in my right ear which is making things a little more difficult. I am curious about others results and battery life on the new units.
Thanks

And I have to say I'm impressed so far! To be honest my expectations weren't that high going in, but I figured that something had to be better than nothing at all, which is what I can hear on the left side. I have only had profound level hearing loss for nearly 4 months. Before that I could hear some sound, just not a lot and very little word recognition since 09. Right now I am getting used to wearing them, but I do find them comfortable. I have the phonak cros h20 transmitter and bolero q50 for the receiver. I am occasionally tell which direction sound is coming from, which is very exciting! I had read some reviews of the cros but most of them were older and about technology that is somewhat outdated. I understand that a cros isn't for everyone, but I would definitely say it is worth it to try it out! I will add more when I've had it for a while!

I have Phonak BiCROS Q30. They are great and I wear them all the time. How can you tell the direction of sound though? I still haven't been able to do that. Is it because your good ear isn't getting any amplification and you can tell the difference between the hearing aid and natural sounds?

Back