Got a cochlear implant? Thinking about one?

Catmandu said:
Seven years ago when I went from hoh to deaf at age 27 I was seeking for CI, but they said my hearing is still too good so I couldn't get one.

Cat,

How deaf are you, if you don't mind me asking?

What with the ever advancing technology of the CI and all, I don't think the medical establishment uses the "you get too much benefit from your hearing aid now" reasoning any more. Do they?

Tousi said:
What with the ever advancing technology of the CI and all, I don't think the medical establishment uses the "you get too much benefit from your hearing aid now" reasoning any more. Do they?

Yea, they do in an oblique way. They say your hearing is too good. What that simply means is that aided with a HA your hearing is not bad enough to consider a CI. While I agree the CI companies have a vested interest in promoting CIs whereever they can, there is a fine line that the medical community walks with this issue. Right now, I hear they are sticking to a certain threshold of hearing (both ears) in which you much be lower or equal too before considering you for a CI. If you got one decent ear, forget it.

Here is mine (severe to profound)

Right ear : 85 db (speech recognition level )
92 db ( pure tone average ,air)
67 db ( pure tone average ,bone)
relaxed speech understanding level is 100 db

Left ear : 90-95 db (speech recognition level )
93 db ( pure tone average,air )

Can I be a candidate for CI ? What about it ?

Probably yes...but you could go for testing and see if you are candiate for it. I am in processing so I am gonna find out from ENT soon and see what my Cat Scan says.

ecevit said:
Here is mine (severe to profound)

Right ear : 85 db (speech recognition level )
92 db ( pure tone average ,air)
relaxed speech understanding level is 100 db

Left ear : 90-95 db (speech recognition level )
93 db ( pure tone average,air )

Can I be a candidate for CI ? What about it ?

They will do a speech discrimination test. If you score highly with hearing aids especially when not lipreading then they are likely not to recommend you for a CI. It involves surgery and is expensive so that is why they aren't in a hurry to do it for everyone.

After the sudden increase in my hearing loss I got 0% with hearing aids without lipreading, about 90% with hearing aids and lipreading and about 50% with just lipreading. My audiologist said this was good as it indicated my brain used sound to discriminate speech but that my hearing aids weren't providing much to me.

R2D2

Well I think it varies a lot. Some implant centers implant people who have good aided hearing, if their other ear is "dead" and can't benifit from aiding, some implant centers will implant those with poor hearing with ITE aids and so on. I think they should be a little stricter as to deciding whether or not someone's an implant canidate.

I don't have CI, and not plan to get one.

Catmandu said:
Moderate to severe to profoundly deaf. (55db to 110db)

Wow, that's a pretty wide range! I'm in the 110+ dB category in both ears.

With my implant on, I'm at 5 dB. I've tested below zero when I crank my volume up. Though I think for sanity, five is fine. ;)

Endymion said:
Who here has a CI or is thinking of one?

I have the Clarion CII and received it about three years ago.

I'm thinking about getting one... expect i need to figure out how in the world im going to pay for it... whew i can't afford it.. medicate doesn't cover ci. i live in NC northern of greensboro.
does it help? i would love to hear more about it if you don't mind... PM me!

if you got any idea's how afford a ci please let me know...

thank you and god bless you :angel:

again pm me :)

Cassbugs said:
im severe to profoundly deaf and plan on getting a cochlear implant!!!!!! :)

Cass, what you're doing - posting to extremely old threads - is called necroposting, and it's generally considered a bit rude. Too, it might be more appropriate to start a new thread for people to talk in rather than put essentially the same message in every thread you see.

For everyone else: is it just me, or have there been a lot of new members necro- and cross- posting lately?

I was thinking about it and even went for extensive tests,
they said I am borderline I almost qualify for CI but also I am too good with the skills I have with my HA so they said no.

I accepted that for now but if I ever lose more hearing to the point the HA will be not enough I am getting one.
the only thing - I hope I can turn the CI off if I need for I need peace and quiet frequently.

Fuzzy

ismi said:
Cass, what you're doing - posting to extremely old threads - is called necroposting, and it's generally considered a bit rude. Too, it might be more appropriate to start a new thread for people to talk in rather than put essentially the same message in every thread you see.

For everyone else: is it just me, or have there been a lot of new members necro- and cross- posting lately?

Ismi,

I understand at some places it might be considered rude, but I think here it restimulates discussion and isn't a bad thing. I thought Cass's post was a nice addition to the discussion and I appreciate her posting.

Just my two cents. :)

Cassbugs said:
I'm thinking about getting one... expect i need to figure out how in the world im going to pay for it... whew i can't afford it.. medicate doesn't cover ci. i live in NC northern of greensboro.
does it help? i would love to hear more about it if you don't mind... PM me!

if you got any idea's how afford a ci please let me know...

thank you and god bless you :angel:

again pm me :)

Lol I'll PM you.

Though, I'll say I find the implant to be an excellent tool. Especially when I can integrate it with my Deaf identity. It's pretty nifty, actually. ;) I take it off when I'm with the deaf world and put it on when I'm with the hearing world.

The device helps tremendously! There are areas where the implant is especially useful. For one, it can definitely help you when you're talking to people. Some implantees never learn how to hear speech 100%, but they hear it 80% and they can pick up the rest of the details through visual cues, making for 100% effective communication. Which is exactly my case, and I've only had the thing for a few years. Not bad progress, I'd think.

Then there are those who master listening with the implant and can hear very, very effectively without reliance on cues. If you're older when you have the implant, that might not be possible because the brain learns more slowly as people age.

But you also miss a lot because your brain hasn't been trained, unless you were a hearing child and lost your hearing later. It's weird how that works.

Do you have insurance? They may cover it. There are other options too.

Hope that helps!

LisaMarie said:
I do not plan on get one at all because i love what i have right now! :D

Lisa,

That's awesome. You use ASL, right? I think that totally rocks too. I love the language, I've been using it since I was a crazy, crazy little boy. ;)

No, I never thought about this. I´m happy and satisfy what I am...

Endymion said:
Lol I'll PM you.

Though, I'll say I find the implant to be an excellent tool. Especially when I can integrate it with my Deaf identity. It's pretty nifty, actually. ;) I take it off when I'm with the deaf world and put it on when I'm with the hearing world.

The device helps tremendously! There are areas where the implant is especially useful. For one, it can definitely help you when you're talking to people. Some implantees never learn how to hear speech 100%, but they hear it 80% and they can pick up the rest of the details through visual cues, making for 100% effective communication. Which is exactly my case, and I've only had the thing for a few years. Not bad progress, I'd think.

Then there are those who master listening with the implant and can hear very, very effectively without reliance on cues. If you're older when you have the implant, that might not be possible because the brain learns more slowly as people age.

But you also miss a lot because your brain hasn't been trained, unless you were a hearing child and lost your hearing later. It's weird how that works.

Do you have insurance? They may cover it. There are other options too.

Hope that helps!

thank you for your advice :) god bless you

Back