Google Voice for the Deaf?

thechaostheory

Reaction score
Does anyone use it? I think it is cool idea...

Does anyone use it? I think it is cool idea...

I do. The speech recognition for voice messages varies a lot depending on how clearly the person speaks, but it's generally still helpful. It also has a record of the caller's phone number, though not the name.

The Google Voice service can also be used in place of the cell phone's regular voice mail system if you want; this is a change that happened in November. So, for example, if you've set up Google Voice to act as the voice mail system for your cell phone, you can set it up to send the transcribed voice message to your cell phone at no additional cost (but there are likely to be many errors in the transcription since it's done by machine).

do they have a text version
Great pos

The Google Voice number can be used to receive SMS messages and will forward the message to the current cell phone and/or to an email address. This way, you have an online record of all SMS messages sent to the number, which is nice to have.

Deaf people could use the Google Voice number to receive voice messages from hearing people and also to receive SMS messages to their current cell phone. (You have to have a cell phone number for the SMS part to work, I think.) Because the transcription of the voice mails can be sent directly to your cell phone along with the caller id info, you get pretty quick notification about the call. This is handy for CapTel users and hard of hearing people who don't necessarily use text relay services on a regular basis.

Back