Google Translate on Mobile

RonJaxon

Reaction score
I found the Google Translate app (On iphone and Andriod) to be a helpful tool at times. What you do is you set both languages to English. That way when someone speaks into it it'll turn it into Bold Text when the phone is turned sideways.

For example your friend says something to you and you can't pick it up after a few times. They don't know ASL and let's assume they don't have anything to write with. You can open the app on your phone and ask them to speak it into the phone. Then you can just read what they said.

It's not 100% accurate but it works pretty well.

Here's a YT video that demonstrates

(Use the CC transcript. It's pretty good compared to most of their automatic CC).
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uub6eWaOhTo]Google Translate iPhone Demo - YouTube[/ame]
The video turns it into other languages but like I said. Set them both to English and the bold text will be in English too.

Just thought I'd share the find.

Ron Jaxon

Thanks for the tip. I've been looking for an app like this. Google is good for me because I have a droid. :ty:

Can't you do that with any voice to text app?

Some others can like Dragon Dictation. But I like how the Google Translate can turn the text into bold text when you turn the phone sideways.

Ron Jaxon

I made this video about it. I'm sorry, I haven't added the CC to it yet. I'll work on adding them to it in the next couple of days. But if you watch it you can see what I mean about how it turns into bold text when you turn the phone sideways. This is what I think makes this more useful. You don't have to have it right close to your face so you can read the small text on the screen. Turn the phone sideways and you can read it from a good distance away from the phone screen.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b84kHIMu5yM]Google Tranlate to help deaf, HOH and those who cannot speak. - YouTube[/ame]

Ron Jaxon

I tried that app out and it does work. It's pretty cool that it will translate what hearing people are saying to me.

It's fairly accurate as long as the speaker is speaking clearly. It translated my 'estas' as 'wing' when going from English to Spanish. :giggle:

However, I've had this app for a long time and I've used the English-English setting to turn the text sideways to tell others what i want when I get frustrated in trying to use my speech.

Anyone have any update to offer on this type of thing? I do have an Android phone.

Thanks for the Info...This is exactly what i was talking about on one of my earlier posts....I wasn't too aware of this app. because I recently discovered that I am bilaterally deaf and so all of this is new to me...That's why I'm glad I found this forum...Thanks Again:wave:

Anyone have any update to offer on this type of thing? I do have an Android phone.

Works good as usual. I don't think there's been much change.

I think the latest change is that you can also use google translate app in conversation mode now, so you don't have to erase what you say everytime. It keeps a log like an IM so you can just press a button to see the next text. This was done back in October '11 or so, a few months after Ron Jaxon made the thread.

Accuracy still isn't 100%, I see errors from time to time.

This is in english/french, but you can still set it to english/english.

gtrans1.jpg

Back