Google + E-mail = Gmail

MTIV said:
Gmail Alert:

Google strategy behind free e-mail is to scan the text of all incoming messages for the purposes of ad placement. Noting that the scanning of confidential email for inserting third party ad content violates the implicit trust of an email service provider.

Remember free e-mail with lots of space does not mean there will be some privacy expense.

How do you feel about having your e-mails scanned for the purpose of targeting ads at you? What else will they do with the information they gather from your e-mails?

Read more here:
http://www.privacyrights.org/ar/GmailLetter.htm

:sure:

MTIV said:
Gmail Alert:

Google strategy behind free e-mail is to scan the text of all incoming messages for the purposes of ad placement. Noting that the scanning of confidential email for inserting third party ad content violates the implicit trust of an email service provider.

Remember free e-mail with lots of space does not mean there will be some privacy expense.

How do you feel about having your e-mails scanned for the purpose of targeting ads at you? What else will they do with the information they gather from your e-mails?

Read more here:
http://www.privacyrights.org/ar/GmailLetter.htm

:thumb: nice to bring this post to let us think about it. ;)

Yep food for thought is all.

Deaf258 - Don't you hold any value to the privacy?

Perhaps you would not mind posting your e-mail account access to us all so we can monitor your e-mails? ...because basically that is what you would be allowing Google to do. he he

Anyway - just posted to share with all... worth some attention in my opinion.

Read the fine print. They talked about how the advertisement matching works. It is all done by computer and ad programs, so there are no human eyes reading your email contents. Either you pay for it or you don't. And there is no such thing as internet privacy, because once it is on the internet, it's public!

Deaf258 said:
Read the fine print. They talked about how the advertisement matching works. It is all done by computer and ad programs, so there are no human eyes reading your email contents. Either you pay for it or you don't. And there is no such thing as internet privacy, because once it is on the internet, it's public!
:werd: That's life in the internet... no privacy. It's all one big risk! :type:

Deaf258 said:

Please be serious LOL

The Consumer Internet Privacy Protection Act was first introduced in 1997 to the 105th congress. Since that time several other Acts have been set in motion with support from the FTC.

Some of those are (In relation to privacy):
Consumer Internet Privacy Protection Act
Online Privacy Protection Act of 2003
Social Security On-line Privacy Protection Act
Wireless Privacy Protection Act of 2003
and the list goes on...

In your favor everything online may not be secure. However, if we are not proactive in supporting Laws and such in relation to privacy we won't have any support.

Granted - Gmail needs to cover their cost of providing a free service. Mapping people's personal e-mails for target ads crosses a fine line. Users should have options or at the least be more aware. It is all about privacy and use of personal information for profit.

Cheers!

Lasza said:
Ohhh, plenty of space to keep anything!!! Done signed up for get one.

Got one this morning from blogger.com. :thumb:

Now Gmail has a new feature: POP access! Yay, Gmail!! Now I can use it on Mozilla's Thunderbird, and when I get it, my Blackberry pager!!

Deaf258 said:
Now Gmail has a new feature: POP access! Yay, Gmail!! Now I can use it on Mozilla's Thunderbird, and when I get it, my Blackberry pager!!
Deaf258, Yeah, here is nothing news to me, because I acknowledged this gmail has POP3 in few weeks ago.. this totally work with sidekick II since 2 weeks :)

ckfarbes said:
Deaf258, Yeah, here is nothing news to me, because I acknowledged this gmail has POP3 in few weeks ago.. this totally work with sidekick II since 2 weeks :)

It is news to me and I didn't check the features announcements for a while until recently!

Deaf258 said:
It is news to me and I didn't check the features announcements for a while until recently!
Deaf258, no sweat! at least that you are totally happy with gmail which can access your black berry, other program as such MS Outlook, Thunderbird, go on list! :D enjoy stay with this!

Back