"Goodnight" in ASL

Waxy

Reaction score
Good morning... :P

I'm looking for the way of saying Goodnight, but not the one you say when you go to sleep, but the one for giving the welcome for a confference, for example.

I've looked at ASLpro, but it seems for how the sign ends, is the one that you say when you go to sleep? or am i wrong?
Mtks for the help!

I just say "Night." That's all.

What's the context you're looking for?

yeah.. i thought so, it would be similar to ours.

ive a small talk in LSA to give about how important to speak to ppl in their own language, and i wanted to start with "goodnigh. how are you" in ASL, so the audience understand the importance of using our language.

ive a small talk in LSA to give about how important to speak to ppl in their own language, and i wanted to start with "goodnigh. how are you" in ASL, so the audience understand the importance of using our language.

Then we just say "night hello." Weird, I know... but *shrugs* Seems to be acceptable. I don't usually tack on the first one unless it's a full moon outside and it's a nice night.

Simple "hello" is suffice though.

you can learn two thing from me. :lol:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjFOCV06XRo]YouTube - My tips on ASL[/ame]

You are French, correct?

ASL is used mostly by American deaf people. Therefore, you must not only "think Deaf" to use ASL but also "think American."

Hearing Americans normally use these greetings:

"Good morning."

"Good day."

"Good afternoon."

"Good evening."

The phrase "good night" is normally used as a farewell upon parting company at night, or at bedtime.

As Bottesini posted, Deaf lecturers/presenters, normally greet their audiences with the formal HELLO sign. Sometimes they modify it by using both hands alternating, while turning the body side-to-side, to greet groups of people.

You probably don't need the "how are you" phrase either. Other possible phrases you can use: "Are you enjoying this meeting?", or "This is a wonderful conference" or "Wow! This is great!" or whatever fits the occasion. That is, make it more specific to the event or group.

Bottesini, do you have anything to add?

You are French, correct?

ASL is used mostly by American deaf people. Therefore, you must not only "think Deaf" to use ASL but also "think American."

"Good morning."

"Good day."

"Good afternoon."

"Good evening."

The phrase "good night" is normally used as a farewell upon parting company at night, or at bedtime.

As Bottesini posted, Deaf lecturers/presenters, normally greet their audiences with the formal HELLO sign. Sometimes they modify it by using both hands alternating, while turning the body side-to-side, to greet groups of people.

You probably don't need the "how are you" phrase either. Other possible phrases you can use: "Are you enjoying this meeting?", or "This is a wonderful conference" or "Wow! This is great!" or whatever fits the occasion. That is, make it more specific to the event or group.

No, I think you have given perfect instructions.

You are French, correct?

"Good morning."

"Good day."

"Good afternoon."

"Good evening."

hey.. thanks!
i'm argentine, though :lol: :aw:
ok. all that info duly noted.

You are French, correct?

"Good morning."

"Good day."

"Good afternoon."

"Good evening."

Yep, that's what i was going to suggest... "Good Evening", but yes, that is very American I think?

You are French, correct?

"Good morning."

"Good day."

"Good afternoon."

"Good evening."

Yep, that's what i was going to suggest... "Good Evening", but yes, that is very American I think?

You should have read Reba's response more carefully.

"Good evening" is for hearing. " Hello" is how the Deaf lecturer would start.

Reba is a well qualified and knowledgeable person,and it would be better not to confuse learners by leaving out parts of her posts in your quote.

Actually, that's an American or Canadian way of doing thing.

If you look at Waxy's post, he wants a formal introduction or opening statement for a conference. From what I understand from Spanish and Portuguese, they have these kind of phrases for those occasions. Americans and Canadians don't have formal counterparts to those phrases. Well, we do, but we modify the sentences.

Anyway, for Waxy's purpose. It's HELLO with alternating hands for meetings, conferences, lectures and the such. When I was typing my post, I was thinking of an informal greeting like "Hello, it's a nice night tonight, eh?" Reba already stated it below:

Reba said:

Actually, that's an American or Canadian way of doing thing.

If you look at Waxy's post, he wants a formal introduction or opening statement for a conference. From what I understand from Spanish and Portuguese, they have these kind of phrases for those occasions. Americans and Canadians don't have formal counterparts to those phrases. Well, we do, but we modify the sentences.

Anyway, for Waxy's purpose. It's HELLO with alternating hands for meetings, conferences, lectures and the such. When I was typing my post, I was thinking of an informal greeting like "Hello, it's a nice night tonight, eh?" Reba already stated it below:

When I was typing my post, I was thinking of an informal greeting like "Hello, it's a nice night tonight, eh?"
indeed :yesway:

Back