Good experiences at school?

That's good that you had your sports at least. I'm afraid I was often at sea when playing sports. Particularly team games. Although that could also have been to do with being mildly Asperger as well as HOH?

I dont know ...or maybe u werent interested?

I dont know ...or maybe u werent interested?

It wasn't that. I just didn't have a clue what was going on. The nearest I came to being involved in anything was as a hockey reserve but when it came to play I didn't know what was happening.

i had pretty good time at my schools. could be more fun if i knew about deaf culture at that time. does it surprise you that i never knew deaf culture existed until last year?

I went to a mainstream high school. you can read about it in one of my threads. I hate PE though because in all lessons I had signed support except PE and Swimming. I really think I should have had support when swimming but didnt happen.

In pe I used to struggle a lot because i could not understand the game rules. I find it quite hard to understand things

I really thought my primary school was the best school. Everyone who went there absolutely loved it. Everyone was at an age appropriate level and doing work they should do with some adaptations. I went to the mainstream school up the road on a weekly basis in year 6 when I was 10-11 years old about three times a week for English. It was quite challenging, I didnt have any support in English lessons but I was able to understand. There was a teaching assistant in the class assisting other pupils with Special needs including dyslexia and dyspraxia, she used to make sure i understood and she could sign a little. Of course, I struggled on spellings due to be unable to hear the words even with my ci. My school was great, it was an oral and signing school. There was 3 classes of Oral for Year 1,2 and 3 and signing classes for Year 1,2,3. There was a maximum of 8 pupils in 1 class. Reception had one class for both oral and sign. The nursery class had some deaf pupils but mostly hearing.Most classes had 5-8 pupils. Every friday there used to be story time for both classes of Year 5 and 6 so 4 classes came together and there was story time in both sign and speech and of course everyone loved it because it was done by a deaf teacher. All the teachers in the school spoke as well as sign with the pupils
I was at the mainstream school every yer. Most pupils at my school went over the mainstream school with signers and support staff. In year 1 i went over with my classmates for art, in year 2 i went over for geography, in year 3 i went over for geography and history with 4 others. In year 5 I went for english, history and geography unsupported on my own. we only went over there for a term or two (semester)
year 4,5 and 6 went over to mainstream school for PE for a couple of semesters. But mostly PE was at our school and we all signed and talked, our favourite game was rounders.

hi

hi, i've always been mainstreamed, lost my hearing only a few years ago, and i can honestly say the people at my school are amazingly understandable and open. i don't know sign and currently have no planes to learn, as i lip read well, but school is still pretty easy for me and being in a classroom is of no problem. as long as my grades stay high, i'm good. lol.

In Year 7, all Year 7's had to have 1 hour of learning to fingerspell and taught the basic of sign. There was about 25-30 deaf students in the school out of like 1,000

It didnt make a different though, we still got bullied and teased. That's why I tended to stick with my deaf friends!!
I remember in the final few weeks before we broke up for summer we(all of the deaf students) use to play this game and hang out at the park out of the school grounds. Of course one of the deaf students used to come running to us and say there was a fire alarm at the school and everybody was being evacuated from the school. We all used to fall for it, used to run back to the school !! LOL, it makes me laugh even now

:topic:

We used to get into trouble a lot. All of us deaf students used to get regular made to go into the head of the HIU's room and had to explain why we was doing this this and this LOL
ahh funn times.....

i had pretty good time at my schools. could be more fun if i knew about deaf culture at that time. does it surprise you that i never knew deaf culture existed until last year?

I'm surprised yes, but I thought you'd been on all deaf longer then a year.

Hi Lissa,
Thanks for letting me know about your school days. It's nice that you and the other deaf kids stayed together. I also used to get into trouble a lot only we went to the PHU (partial hearing unit).

I noticed they changed to american grades. When I was at school in the 80's primary school was divided between the infants and the juniors. The infant classes were the nursery, reception (similar to Kindergarten). There were 2 other years but I never went to them since I transfered to special school at that time where I stayed before attending mainstream high school.

hi, i've always been mainstreamed, lost my hearing only a few years ago, and i can honestly say the people at my school are amazingly understandable and open. i don't know sign and currently have no planes to learn, as i lip read well, but school is still pretty easy for me and being in a classroom is of no problem. as long as my grades stay high, i'm good. lol.

cool. im just wondering how you find yourself in a group setting though? with everyone talking and stuff? isn't it hard?

Just gotta say that I think a mainstream formal program can work really well.
What I think is horrible is mainstreaming to the max....too too easy for kids to fall through the cracks.
The Deaf education system is wonderful for the Deaf child, some are too quick to put it down and I wish the naysayers wouldn't be too quick to judge.
You know.....I think it should be the law that dhh kids should require a " split placement" early on, so they can find the best placement possible. I hate how it's kneejerkly assumed that a mainstream placement is always the best.
A kid could do OK in the mainstream but could REALLY thrive in a formal dhh program.
The Deaf education system is wonderful for the Deaf child, some are too quick to put it down and I wish the naysayers wouldn't be too quick to judge.
Ditto.....There are some pretty damn good deaf schools out there......and a lot of deaf schools have wonderful programming in the early grades that can't be matched by anything at a public school.

If there are no responses then probably everyone's experiences were not so good. :eeek:

My only good experience growing up mainstreamed was playing softball on a very competitive level.

I did go to a small private school in Boston, Ma. It was not for the deafs or
HOH
but the class rooms were small and there were no more than12 students in a class.
I had one teacher who taught math and english and he was a real neat teacher. We became friends and we wrote to one another for a fews years.
I will never forget this teacher for taking an interest my life.

My experiences wasn't that great like many on here. We weren't allowed to use NPSL and if we did, we were punished as the teacher made us use ASL. She would punish us by keeping us after school, writing letters home to our parents, basically denying our cultural heritage.

Of course the teacher was white. :lol:

It was not until our junior year in high school that we got a teacher that understood NPSL and embraced us for using it in the classroom. He even went furthur and established an after school club for us kids to use NPSL as well as share it with the local community to carry on the traditions of our people.

That was awesome.

Never heard of it.

Is it a country's sign language?

Back