Good ASL learning tools, adult + 3 month old

iowaboy

Reaction score
My 3 month old daughter is deaf. I would like to learn ASL, and teach it to her as well. I have been unable to find any live ASL education offerings close to home so I'm curious what other tools / programs people might have seen used successfully.

Someone donated a baby sign book and video, but other than that I don't have any resources yet.

Signing time is good. You can watch now and teach her, and she can watch with you when she is a little older.

Did you contact Iowa school for the deaf?

You know, I should call them today, not much else going on. I'm a little ambiguous about what to expect from them though, and what to ask for.

You know, I should call them today, not much else going on. I'm a little ambiguous about what to expect from them though, and what to ask for.

Wait until afternoon, and Shel90 will be back. She is a TOD and she can tell you precisely what to ask.

I'll be here, hunkered down in the snow storm until about 2pm. Forgive my ignorance, but what is a TOD?

I work in the medical field, and I sometimes rattle off terms or abbreviations and get puzzled looks from my patients. Now I'm getting a dose of my own medicine.

My 3 month old daughter is deaf. I would like to learn ASL, and teach it to her as well. I have been unable to find any live ASL education offerings close to home so I'm curious what other tools / programs people might have seen used successfully.

Someone donated a baby sign book and video, but other than that I don't have any resources yet.
Check out Signing Time. My kids loved it when they were younger, but they're quite a bit beyond it now. It's a great first step. They're a bit expensive to buy the whole set, but your library might have them (or try inter-library loan).

I thought i might mention it. My mom found out about me being deaf 9 months later. She went ahead contact deaf school and some of them were so nice enough to welcome my parents over there to get information. She met the other parents there at school. The other mom was very sweet and willing to teach my mom how to sign while her son came over at our home to keep me company while my mom and the mom worked on learning ASL. My mom was a housewife at this time which was why she didn't have two cars, just one for my dad to work back in my time.

it would be great if you meet the other parents who are in the same experience as yours.. good luck. :)

Last edited:
I see Shel90 is back. Hopefully she will see this and tell you what to say to the school.

Hey there. I teach at a Deaf school so the most common questions we get from parents are, "Will my child be able to read and write?"
Will my child learn skills to go out and be successful in the working field as an adult.
How many children are there in his/her age attending the school.
Where can I find Deaf events or organizations?

ask them anything you want..dont worry about whether your questions seem stupid or silly ...any questions regarding your child is never considered silly or stupid.

Good luck!

Iowaboy, Iowa School for the Deaf will help you hook up with dhh early interventions.
I would also contact the Iowa Assocition of the Deaf. Although any classes are far away, some Associations of the Deaf will send out mentors, who come to your house so that your child can learn ASL direct from the natives!

Back