Good articles on identifying cochlear dead spots

Ive been reading alot about cochlear dead regions and that the OHC account for 60db of hearing and IHC accounts for another 30db of hearing. Id like to be tested for dead regions and to get some questions answered, such as how people like me can have more than 90db loss and still hear sounds at the correct pitch. I have a HL of at least 110db at 1000Hz and when I repeat that tone to my dad, he confirms that it sounds the same to him too. I also can tell the pitch differences to around 1200Hz, above that the pitch sounds much the same or I simply hear a low frequency buzz or nothing at all. What's it like for you?

As to Alex, I have created his audiogram in paint and will explain.

1256198015059384200.jpg

You have cochlear dead zone above 1000Hz. Your 1000Hz might be dead or at the very edge before the dead zone. 750Hz(and below) should still be very functional with some damage to the OHC and no damage to the IHC. Between 750Hz and 1000Hz is where things go downhill very rapidly as damage to the IHC begins above 750Hz and around 1000Hz total destruction of IHC takes place.

Youll want HAs that amplify your edge frequency which is the downward slope that still has usable residual hearing. For your audiogram, this would take place as low as 300-400Hz and extend upwards to 800-1000Hz. Your edge frequency is about 1.25 octives. Ive seen other's audiograms who have such a narrow edge frequency that spanned less than half octive! You have access to about 50% of speech unaided and from other's audiograms similar to yours, they could understand half of speech. Even though my aided audiogram is similar to your unaided audiogram, I may only score 30% speech because I don't have normal hearing at any frequency(I have IHC damage) and the quality of my aided hearing is much less than the quality of your unaided hearing.

A deaf dude's life: Take the piano thud test! How high can you hear?

The piano thud test may give you perspective into cochlear dead zone, let us know what you hear. Listen carefully once you get to 1000Hz for signs of things being different. Ive explained the instructions in my blog.

Back