Gone but not forgotten

November Gypsy

Reaction score
We had to put the dog down yesterday. I'm still crying over it. She wasn't 'mine' technically. But we have been living with my in-laws for the last seven months, and so, it feels like Mattie was just as much my dog as theirs. I miss her a lot. She was this great, big Chocolate Lab (by big I mean obese). She was full of personality. Affectionate and playful. But yesterday she couldn't get up...her back legs stopped working...and my husband and father-in-law took her to the vets. They couldn't do anything for her and she was suffering. I really miss her. My baby and I used to go up in the mornings to where she liked to lay and play with her. It was our 'thing'. I went up to her rug again this morning because I forgot she wouldn't be there. It's so unfair that this happens. I know, I know. It happens a lot. But dogs aren't just...animals in a lot of cases. They are part of the family and I am just so sad. :(

Well, thanks for letting me vent. I promise to put up a happy post next time.

I am sorry for your loss. :(

I know how it is to lose a dog/cat you loved.

:( Sorry... my thoughts are with you and your in-laws. And you're right about that. An animal (pet) is a family member and you have reason to grieve over your loss!

Mattie's now up in heaven with my beloved dog Loukie! :D

:hug: JamieLynn

It is hard to lose a pet. Yes, They are part of your family.

Not unusual for a person to grieve over their Furr family members.

I am sorry for your loss.

Thanks everyone. It really made me feel a little better to have your comments. I can't believe how much it hurts to lose a dog. I swear, it hurts just as if you lost a beloved family member.

ohhh, November Gyspy, such sadness - but joy for a good life - I miss my Rottie girl at the Bridge every day and we made the decision a couple years ago now. She has been diagnosed with kidney disease at age 2 and with a lotta holistic care she lived to be 8 and 1/2 with good quality of life. We love<d> her very much, my beloved girl. We still have our 10 yr. old Black Lab through rescue and now a new Rottie baby from the breeder of the girl now at the Bridge.

Many many hugs :hug:

my first Rottie love is always in my heart - Esmonds Extra Special, CGC, TDI, TT, Special Puppy Cagney!

ohhh, November Gyspy, such sadness - but joy for a good life - I miss my Rottie girl at the Bridge every day and we made the decision a couple years ago now. She has been diagnosed with kidney disease at age 2 and with a lotta holistic care she lived to be 8 and 1/2 with good quality of life. We love<d> her very much, my beloved girl. We still have our 10 yr. old Black Lab through rescue and now a new Rottie baby from the breeder of the girl now at the Bridge.

Many many hugs :hug:

*tight hug* Thank you dogmom. I understand now what you went through to a point. Mattie was just plain joyful. The saddest thing, I think, was that she was only six...and chocolate labs should live until they are about 13, I think. *sigh* Anyway, big hugs, and thanks!

aww Gypsy
:hug: Mattie is not in pain she is running free in heaven with other dogs and cats
i am sure my cat is with Mattie :)

:hug: again

Gypsy, I know what you are going thru. I just put up couple of pictures of my two late dachshunds. (I just rent a room) My desktop contains both dogs.

Aww, my heart is breaking for your loss of your beloved
dog..I know how you feel. I have lost a pet dog and
cats too..
I know there is pet heaven so im sure he is happy
there now..so heres :hug:

:hug: I'm so sorry about your loss-- I had to make that decision in December for my cat-- She had a recurring cancer-- and this time she couldn't stand the surgery (she had one major and several small ones last year) so I had to choose to let her go to the Rainbow Bridge-- we had been together 11 yrs and 15 days when she left me... I still miss her dearly~~ she was my first baby... furry or whatnot :) :)

Take the time to grieve the loss and remember the fun times you (and your baby) had with her... :hug:

I am sorry for your loss. I purposely stay out of the Pets thread often because I am so unbelievably tender-hearted when it comes to pets and animals. I know of the heartache you are speaking of - I just posted something in LadySekhmet's thread about that. You are clearly a true animal lover; just know that the loved pets you have lost are in heaven and happy and loved for the time they had with you.

Pets aren't just creatures we own, they really do become family members. You and yours will be in my thoughts.

So sorry about your loss. Yesterday we remebered our Ollie boy as it had been a year since his passing. He was my "dog of a lifetime"!
It's hard to believe how fast time passes. Jessie is helping to fill the void. We now have our new habits.
One thing I find that helps every time I lose a dog is to pore over photo albums and remember all the good times. I like to make a list of all the fun, cool, silly, amazing etc behaviors that my dog did during his/her lifetime.
Years later, it helps me remember the details and I usually find alot of similarities between dogs, so I know that in a small way they are still with me.

My sincere sympathies are with you!.Animals are family, like our children. I've put down 4 of my dogs and each time it broke my heart, shattered me so hard!....And each time, I swore I would not go thru it again!...After "Buffy's" death of breast cancer at age 14 last year, I was depressed for months! And cried every day.....I was so lonely for a dog! And now I have a Pomeranian, she will be 2 in July! She goes with me everywhere, never leaves my side.

All my dogs are buried in my rose garden! "Blossom", a dachound, "Sweetheart", a buff cocker-spaniel, "Daisey" a foxwire terrier, and "Buffy", a shistzu. Never to be forgotten!

Back