Going Pro Cannibalism

Dreamer03

Reaction score
So my sister had an assignment in which she had to make an argument. The teacher saod to be original and not use topics such as abortion, death penalty, immigrations and all those fun topics. She came to me for help. And i told her to write an essay saying why cannibalism was good. I guess most would go against cannibalism. (While it was for sake of been original) the teaxher kinda freaked out with the essay but gave my sister an A. Yup. It was a fun essay to help with.

Hard to conceive the topic of being a cannibal as a "fun topic"
Perhaps in psychiatry-unusual eating?
aside: a success if the teacher gave an A

Care to copy/paste the essay? One pro I can think of is that it's easy to make a joke. "What did you think of eating bob? I'm having a ball!" :lol:

I don't have a copy but the main arguemnts were how it would help with world hunger, overpopulation and poverty.

um..... there's nothing positive about cannibalism. it leads to a whole load of health problems.

It wasn't a serious argument. Just I guess a little more unusual. I guess people expect you to go against cannibalism not be all like... its good!!!

It wasn't a serious argument. Just I guess a little more unusual. I guess people expect you to go against cannibalism not be all like... its good!!!

yes I know but I'm just saying there's absolutely not a single good argument for cannibalism. it's like incest. both leads to a serious medical health problems and defects.

No way. Cannibalism is really taboo. I can't see what's good benefit for that...

You can find good arguments for it, but it does not mean its acceptable. well in some places it is but yeah...no. x_x

I'll never forget this one short reading assignment back in highschool. It was written during the worst part of Britain's ownership over Ireland, and times were extremely harsh for the irish. They had so little money, and so little to eat that many of them were withering away. To make a statement, a popular writer created a "proposal" (which was written with serious tone, but obviously fake) for cannibalism. But not just any cannibalism -- baby cannibalism. Since they couldn't afford to raise children and were ridiculously hungry, the author listed all the potential benefits of selling and devouring babies. As disturbing as that is, it got the point across, and it's the only short reading assignment I remember from highschool :lmao:
I think your suggestion was awesome, and your sister is just as awesome for making it work. It takes a lot of thinking and creativity to be able to create a good argument in support of something you genuinely disapprove of.
I'd also love to read it if she's willing to share!

That would be Jonashan Swift if i have the nameright " the modest proposal" some of the arguments were basbed on his satire

There was enough Germanic heritage in the family growing up that the threat of being eaten by witches and so on was in common usage.
Children were not supervised like now. We were out having a blast but there was moral training, like don't go past the no trespassing sign that guy will cook you up and eat you.

It was an effective threat for very small children but I would not recommend it. It was a different era.

I recommend Kenneth Roberts book, "Boon Island". Great story of a shipwreck on a barren hunk of rock off the coast of Maine. Eventually the dead became "beef".

Back