Going for the last evaluation for CI

Rollover

Reaction score
I'm going for the last evaluation with the surgeon in UF Gainesville on July 23rd. I did get a prescription for valium to take for the head scan - YIKES!
I'm going out of my mind with nervousness and excitment.

Are you going for the cat scan? If so, it will be over before you know it. It is less then 5 minutes.

I'm going for the last evaluation with the surgeon in UF Gainesville on July 23rd. I did get a prescription for valium to take for the head scan - YIKES!
I'm going out of my mind with nervousness and excitment.

Are you having an MRI done? The CT scan is actually open so I wouldn't htink it'd be a big problem, I had an MRI, that was an interesting experience. I'm lucky I am not claustphobic tho. :)

Good luck Suzi Maria, Werent you the one who just got new Ha's? I thought you were doing well with those? Just curious because I have a completely deaf ear that cant be fitted with a HA and I didnt qualify with my other ear.They said there was enough hearing with HA.With the tinnitus its tough though.

Thank you everyone!

I was told while making the appointment / arrangements that the
head scan is closed and perceptivly a certain way by the surgeon.

Yes I am the one who recently got two Oticon Sumo digital aids.
Can you believe one died and I had to exchange for a new one.
Warranty is good for two years - scary!

Im so anxious, nervous and excited about all of this.
Suzi

Good luck Suzi Maria, Werent you the one who just got new Ha's? I thought you were doing well with those? Just curious because I have a completely deaf ear that cant be fitted with a HA and I didnt qualify with my other ear.They said there was enough hearing with HA.With the tinnitus its tough though.

The digital HA is powerful and does cover up/ drown out tinnitus.
I highly recommend digital HA and not the regular HA's on the market.
The digital is programmed at one fitting to suit your needs which is
just perfect for each individual. When I got my digital, I sat down
connected to wires to a lap top computer and the program does all
the settings just for me. It's wonderful!

I'm so nervous about this doctor visit that my mind is blank. What are some of the questions you would ask the surgeon?
My biggest question and concern is which ear for the CI? My left is severe tinnettes (sp?) and always wore an aid. My right ear, I just started wearing the digital aid(s) recently. My biggest concern and fear is having done to the left ear, if fails, can not reverse and stuck with the ringing in the ear for life.
The reason I do want CI is for hearing, speech and music as well as functionality. Did someone here say the left ear is speech/music and the right ear is ? I forgot. Any ideas? Thanks!

I'm so nervous about this doctor visit that my mind is blank. What are some of the questions you would ask the surgeon?
My biggest question and concern is which ear for the CI? My left is severe tinnettes (sp?) and always wore an aid. My right ear, I just started wearing the digital aid(s) recently. My biggest concern and fear is having done to the left ear, if fails, can not reverse and stuck with the ringing in the ear for life.

I would ask your surgeon if he has a preference as to which ear should be implanted. Sometimes a surgeon may recommend that one ear be implanted over the other, especially if one ear has never been stimulated by a hearing aid or hasn't been stimulated in many years. At the same time, I know several CI users who had an ear implanted which had no auditory stimulation for 20-30 years and are able to understand speech, talk on the phone and enjoy music, so opinions regarding this vary.

In regards to your tinnitus, if you decide to have that ear implanted, there's a chance it (the tinnitus) could disappear completely following your surgery.

If you don't mind my asking, how is your speech understanding between your left ear and your right ear? Is your hearing loss equal in both ears or is one ear worse than the other? That, too, may also be a factor in deciding which ear to have implanted. In my case, my left ear was worse than my right. I chose to have my left ear implanted and the results have been nothing short of amazing.

If I remember correctly, the left side of the brain dominates speech perception while the right dominates music. However, I don't know how that comes into play when understanding speech with a CI. In my opinion, I think how well a person does with a CI has more to do with other factors such as length of deafness, time of language acquisition (prelingual, perilingual or postlingual deafness), brain's plasticity and ability to make sense of what it hears through the CI and CI user's committment to learning how to hear with his/her CI.

e

I found out recently that both ears have the same hearing loss. I haven't worn two HA's in so many years that I do not know which ear that I hear speech more clearly. Until I got two digital aids, I'm learning that balancing
the sounds work better for me. I can not wear the digital HA on the right
without the left in. The right feels too loud or sentistive so I have the volumne down lower and feel better balancing the sounds.

When people are talking in the room without the TV on, I do hear (digital HA's)some words and some full sentences without expecting or without lip reading.
If the tinnitteus would disappear I would be THRILLED!

Back