glee tonight

ok...

so, i'm a HUGE fan of "glee"...i've been watching it since the pilot aired in may. maybe because i'm a musical theater major, maybe because i'm a sentimental sap, i don't know. i just love it.

2 weeks ago, when they showed the preview of next week's episode after the show, i got really excited that there was going to be something relating to deafness/signing. i missed watching the episode live because i wasn't feeling well, but i downloaded it from itunes as soon as it was available. honestly, when mercedes (the black girl) went up and started singing while the deaf kids were signing, i started tearing up. i know it's kind of corny, but i understand why they chose "imagine" to be signed. "glee" is all about breaking stereotypes; the show is about a group of outcasts breaking the stereotypical teenage molds. so the act of the hearing glee club merging with the deaf glee club to sing a song about unity just emphasizes what the show is all about.

now, i understand where the nay-sayers are coming from...

yes, deafness has only been featured in 1 episode of the show, but who knows what will happen down the road? the show is so popular, maybe the bigwigs at fox have been getting fanmail saying to include more deafness/signing in future episodes. maybe the glee club will even get a deaf member! we'll just have to keep watching.

also, i completely agree with what people are saying about the head of the deaf glee club. i thought that that character was ridiculous. in my opinion (this will probably sound naive), but i think it would have made more sense if the guy was completely deaf and had an interpreter...in fact, an interpreter would have probably made the episode funnier. i wouldn't be surprised if you CAN go deaf from having scarlet fever (correct me if i'm wrong), but this was just an exaggerated character. in that vein, however, every character in the show is supposed to be an exaggeration of a high school stereotype. as cory monteith (the guy that plays finn in "glee") said in an interview, "'glee' is like 'high school musical' if it got punched in the stomach and had its lunch money stolen" (or something along those lines).

i feel like i have more to say, but i don't have any other clear thoughts in my head right now...but if i think of anything else, i'll post it. but for now, /end rant

Hmmpftt! I still say it sucks. :pissed:

:D

Nah, I'm just a spoilsport. I'm happy that so many people were touched by it, but I will continue to disagree with them. I still think it's a flawed, but I am a notoriously hard person to please. :roll:

Nah, I'm just a spoilsport. I'm happy that so many people were touched by it, but I will continue to disagree with them. I still think it's a flawed, but I am a notoriously hard person to please. :roll:

lol.

ok...

so, i'm a HUGE fan of "glee"...i've been watching it since the pilot aired in may. maybe because i'm a musical theater major, maybe because i'm a sentimental sap, i don't know. i just love it.

2 weeks ago, when they showed the preview of next week's episode after the show, i got really excited that there was going to be something relating to deafness/signing. i missed watching the episode live because i wasn't feeling well, but i downloaded it from itunes as soon as it was available. honestly, when mercedes (the black girl) went up and started singing while the deaf kids were signing, i started tearing up. i know it's kind of corny, but i understand why they chose "imagine" to be signed. "glee" is all about breaking stereotypes; the show is about a group of outcasts breaking the stereotypical teenage molds. so the act of the hearing glee club merging with the deaf glee club to sing a song about unity just emphasizes what the show is all about.

now, i understand where the nay-sayers are coming from...

yes, deafness has only been featured in 1 episode of the show, but who knows what will happen down the road? the show is so popular, maybe the bigwigs at fox have been getting fanmail saying to include more deafness/signing in future episodes. maybe the glee club will even get a deaf member! we'll just have to keep watching.

also, i completely agree with what people are saying about the head of the deaf glee club. i thought that that character was ridiculous. in my opinion (this will probably sound naive), but i think it would have made more sense if the guy was completely deaf and had an interpreter...in fact, an interpreter would have probably made the episode funnier. i wouldn't be surprised if you CAN go deaf from having scarlet fever (correct me if i'm wrong), but this was just an exaggerated character. in that vein, however, every character in the show is supposed to be an exaggeration of a high school stereotype. as cory monteith (the guy that plays finn in "glee") said in an interview, "'glee' is like 'high school musical' if it got punched in the stomach and had its lunch money stolen" (or something along those lines).

i feel like i have more to say, but i don't have any other clear thoughts in my head right now...but if i think of anything else, i'll post it. but for now, /end rant
I do know this must be off topic, but yes you can go deaf from scarlet fever, my stepmother did partially, and her cousin died from it.

:laugh2:

I would never have labeled you a spoiled sport. Just a man that stands by his convictions. And, can intelligently and thoughtfully support them. Admirable, in my book.

:laugh2:

I would never have labeled you a spoiled sport. Just a man that stands by his convictions. And, can intelligently and thoughtfully support them. Admirable, in my book.

:ty::cheers:

LOL, Alex and Alldeaf are becoming celebrities. Wonder if we will get "gawkers"?

LOL, Alex and Alldeaf are becoming celebrities. Wonder if we will get "gawkers"?

I think we have thousands already. Look at the front page at the bottom. You can see lots of guests just watching us.

Like a little zoo.

428 gawkers right now. 10x the # of members.

Back