glee tonight

Sorry, but I'm not sure what you're talking about here, Jillio. I think you're either not remembering the scene correctly, or misinterpreting my words. Nobody was making fun of the HoH director in the scene; he was the one acting like a buffoon and being rude to the hearing director, and it was a result of his hearing loss (he mishears the hearing director and thinks he's being asked for coffee, so he rudely asks for two sugars and cream; doesn't hear his phone ringing and when the hearing director mentions it to him he snaps, "I have it set to vibrate," and then at the end of the conversation he looks at his phone and says, "Oh damn I missed four calls."). So yes, the show was making fun of him in a way, but it was occurring outside the scene, outside the bounds of the show. It was not meant to be a social commentary, or raise awareness.

That scene was most certainly intended to elicit humor based on the actions of the HoH director. Watch it again.

As for having a bias, no I don't have a bias. Please don't make insinuations. Perhaps I do look at these things from a different perspective based on the fact that I am HoH. I misinterpret people's words day in and day out, but I can assure you I am not a jackass buffoon like how that HoH director was portrayed, nor are any d/Deaf/HoH people I know. We are not oblivious to the effects of our hearing loss, and we have all developed coping mechanisms for interacting with the hearing world.

I am going to switch side here... but I am inclined to agree with jilio after looking back on my life. Partly because I can be a short-tempered self-centred asshole, and when combined with my deafness, it is not a pretty sight to deal with when I have a short fuse on those days.

I think the character was more intended to be a jerk than being deaf or hard-of-hearing. The problem is that it plays on both which makes it too ambiguous.

Ah fine, asshole, jump ship. :D

I'm not saying a deaf/HoH person never acts like this. I'm saying it's a stereotype. The vast majority of us do not act like that, and if we do, it's only very rarely and under rare pretenses that couldn't possibly be explained in the brief amount of time devoted to the scene on the show.

yes I want a coffee with milk and sugar.

I am going to switch side here... but I am inclined to agree with jilio after looking back on my life. Partly because I can be a short-tempered self-centred asshole, and when combined with my deafness, it is not a pretty sight to deal with when I have a short fuse on those days.

I think the character was more intended to be a jerk than being deaf or hard-of-hearing. The problem is that it plays on both which makes it too ambiguous.

Ahhh....the purpose of debate. To bring to light a perspective that one may not have considered prior in order to expand one's view.

Ahhh....the purpose of debate. To bring to light a perspective that one may not have considered prior in order to expand one's view.

Hey hey, there's no need to rub it in.:(

:P Hey... shouldn't I officially give point to jilio?

I did concede that it is largely ambiguous which is the problem, because it's not exactly cut and dry what the character was designed to be in the series.

I'm hoping Shel will watch the full eppy soon and join my dugout. C'mmmooooon Shel!!!! :)

I'm hoping Shel will watch the full eppy soon and join my dugout. C'mmmooooon Shel!!!! :)

Is it on Hulu.com?

Iam off tmw..no kids and no hubby so I should have the time to watch it.

I like that Botts used " it's" when referring to the student. hahahaha

Back