Glad to have found you!

cinnamongirl

Reaction score
This community seems really amazing. I have been looking around and reading conversations.
I am a hearing mom of a (newly identified) profoundly deaf 2 1/2 year old and a HOH 9 year old. We are trying aids for the little one and the older one is aided as well.
We are very rural and live about 1 1/2 hours from the nearest school for the deaf. We are planning to participate in some of their outreach programs. We are learning ASL (the entire family and some extended family as well). I guess this isn't the thread to discuss everything but I look forward to learning more about this community! :wave:

Welcome!!!!!! Are you near a regional dhh program? It's awesome you're hooked up with the deaf school already.....both your kids including your HOH kid can go to summer camp and things like that through the deaf school. I envy your HOH kid.....a lot of HOH kids don't get ASL even as a second language.

Here is a TON of resources for you!
American Society for Deaf Children - Home
CSDB Colorado School For The Deaf and The Blind
Rocky Mountain Deaf School, Golden, Colorado
Colorado Hands & Voices
Aspen Camp of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing
especially: Family Connections Camp | Aspen Camp of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing
and ask the deaf schools about regional dhh programs.....your 9 year old could attend too!!!! (deaf schools are getting VERY HOH friendly believe it or not....a lot of parents just assume all their hoh kid needs is speech and mainstreaming)

Wow! The Aspen Camp looks great! I think I might try to go next summer (2013)...Thanks again! :aw:

I did go to Aspen camp back in 1988. I did meet a lot of people, but I was 11 years old and very lonely for my Mom so I didn't enjoy it there.

Wow! The Aspen Camp looks great! I think I might try to go next summer (2013)...Thanks again! :aw:

Maybe see if your 9 year old might want to attend this summer. I think they have camperships. That would be cool b/c he could learn ASL direct from the pros and then come home and teach you guys! .....they do have the family camp which would be AMAZING!!!!!

I did go to Aspen camp back in 1988. I did meet a lot of people, but I was 11 years old and very lonely for my Mom so I didn't enjoy it there.

Was it lonely for your mom b/c she stayed home? Did you do the family camp?

Maybe see if your 9 year old might want to attend this summer. I think they have camperships. That would be cool b/c he could learn ASL direct from the pros and then come home and teach you guys! .....they do have the family camp which would be AMAZING!!!!!

That would be fantastic! I will have to look into a scholarship for her for this year. 2 pair of hearing aids is leaving us quite low on funds this year...

Back