Girl Stole My Heart

Binoculars

Reaction score
Like most people, I work a full time job. Just to introduce myself, I am a hearing male. One difference between most people's work experience and mine is that I am literally the only male in my entire office. For a longtime, I would keep to myself at work because my co-workers were very excitable people and I like to stay calm and more "chill." Lunch was pretty much always at my desk and by myself. About a week ago, somebody from down the hall invited me to come to an office birthday party/lunch they were having. I accepted and went to the party. They had set up all of these tables (the tables were a weird shape) and I ended up sitting across from someone who I had never met before. I'm kind of awkward around new people so I just sort of waved and mumbled hi to her. She waved back and smiled. I did't really know that many people at the party, so I felt a little left out of conversation. Every so often during the party, this both me and this new lady that I met would look at each other awkwardly and bust out laughing. The next day at lunch I went to the fridge to get out my lunch and she was in the break room. I sat down and ate lunch with her, but we just kind of stared at each other the whole time. You've got to understand, I've eaten lunch with a lot of people before where we just sit silently, so I assumed it was because of awkwardness that we didn't talk. She seemed like a nice person and once I finished lunch I asked one of my co-workers who she was. They told me about her and that she was deaf. It all hit me at once, why we had never spoken a word to each other. It turns out she works down the hall in a writing position. Because of my job, I easily got hold of some of her writing and read through it all. It was beautiful. Her position focuses on creative type writing, and the way she weaves words is magnificent. My co-workers didn't really tell me that much about her, but one of the things they said was that she is really smart, as I could tell by her writing. For me, intelligence is majorly attractive. Before I found out all these things about her, I was already interested in her. I'll admit, she's really pretty. But learning more about her job and skills has made me very attracted to her.
The problem I need help with is how to approach and interact with her. I'm already awkward with pretty much all women (especially the ones I'm attracted to) and there is a language barrier between us. I've learned basic ASL in the past few days, but I don't feel it is enough to carry on a conversation. I found these forums recently and decide to post this here. Sorry for the long post, but I have no idea how to approach her. Please help, she has stolen my heart!

Do you REALLY need assistance, Romeo? LOL We're not difficult to talk to. Matter of fact, you already have an idea right in front of you, so you found out she does creative writing. Ask her about that. You are also curious about her in general, you're coworkers gave you enough to work on, how about asking her out and finding out more about her. She won't bite, promise. ;)

6 or 7 years ago, I got in an argument with a deaf woman. We argued because she refused to teach her deaf ferret ASL. She was being negative when I was trying to tell her that deaf ferrets can use ASL. We're still at odd about this.

We also had disagreement. She said that she won't protect me if I tried to teach a cat to clap and the cat bites me. Therefore, I'm pretty much on my own. I'm sure I have a handle on this situation.

Do you think you have a handle on your situation?

Back