Getting to know Me! (Hello)

Medic18

Reaction score
Hello everyone, my name is Johnny (I go by JK, but my girlfriend hates it) and I am a fully hearing student from Sacramento, Ca. I am studying to become a register nurse (yes and male nurse) in trauma while earning my ASL Interpreter, yes double major. I am already a volunteer EMT (Emergency Medical Technician) with MRC (Medical Reserve Corps) and with the Sacramento County Sheriff’s Department (no, I am not a cop). Oh did I forget to include that I work full time, full time student, photographer, and volunteer a lot?

Why do I want to learn ASL you might ask yourself? Well I have two reasons why, the first being that I have been around and exposed to ASL my whole life. While in elementary school, I had a teacher that was deaf (only had her for about 6 months, that’s the life of a military family, always moving) and was able to start picking up a few signs from her. Then when my family moved to Sacramento, my mother worked with the California Department of Rehabilitation, where they had around nine deaf employees in her office. The other reason why I am learning ASL is because it’s one of the prerequisites for college and I have a problem with reading. I have a gift called dyslexia, which makes reading and writing for me very hard. So learning how to read and write in a different language would have killed me since I am lacking in the English grammar (ie: there, their, while to use semicolons, and other charters). Later I will make a different post about my gift and fingerspelling problems (yes I have already searched this forum and the web with zero luck).

Well that’s a quick bio on me, so if you have any questions, just ask. My life is a open book, there are some part that are just boring, I’m just saying.

After doing some reading from some other threads in regarding students, I am not in any ASL at this time but I have taken ASL 1 two times (First was ten plus years ago and just passed ASL 1 in the fall with a 90%). I will be taking ASL 2 in the next semester but I am not taking any classes during the summer. I have a love for the ASL language and the culture. So my plains are to stick around for a while and not do a "hit and run" kind of thing I have read about.

Welcome Johnny. Good luck on your future goals!!!

Well that’s a quick bio on me, so if you have any questions, just ask. My life is a open book, there are some part that are just boring, I’m just saying.

Open book, how many pages? :giggle:
Welcome to AD Johnny
Happy here to see an EMT and medical person learn ASL more Emergency people need to know how to communicate with us. Spanish is not the only people around here.

Open book, how many pages? :giggle:
Welcome to AD Johnny
Happy here to see an EMT and medical person learn ASL more Emergency people need to know how to communicate with us. Spanish is not the only people around here.

Thank you Sares. How many pages in the "Book of Johnny"? Well I have been around the world about 4 different times, packing up and moving almost ever year. Played water polo, football, baseball, soccer, and was on the swimming team since I was 9 (stopped once I got out of high school) and have been with the sheriff's department for over 9 years and MRC for 3 years. So I would say about ten pages or so (LOL).

While I have been in the hospital ED, out in the field as a medic, and in the Sheriff's Dep., I have noticed that they have a translator for almost any language but ASL. I have heard stories of doctors telling people that their child is deaf and s/he needs to be "fix". I believe this is the wrong way to approach people with this kind of information, because they do not understand the deaf culture someone has to speak up (no pun intended) and help educate people about this culture. Plus in a emergency, if you are able to communicate with someone from the deal culture, treatment can start faster and correctly. So the only way to fix something is to stand up to it.

Well that is a lot for a book. I have been around the town lots of times, never much sports but I dated a baseball player once, I avoid going to the sheriffs department sorry you have been detained for 9 years. Happy you are out now.
Just kidding, hope you learn fast and do well.

Hey Johnny!

I too am double majoring! But Im Theatre and Deaf studies so we're kind of close... ok not really! Lol.

Im just starting to learn and am taking ASL right now for summer credit. Do you mind me asking what school you go to? Im at CSUS.

Back