getting started?

A

apathrev

Since starting my job as an RO, I have been interested in learning ASL. No better place to gather resources than, here I guess. So does anyone have any advice on books, courses, programs to help me get started? In training for my job, we were given minimal deaf culture training, and given a handout with the alphabet on it. Thats it. A bit dissapointing. I am from Memphis, TN, so if anyone would be able to advise me, that I would greatly appreciate it. I know the Unversity of Memphis has a has an introductory ASL course, but I am not yet a student there, and I'd prefer to take that as an elective, when I do start attending full time, which is still some years away (still at Community College). Thanks in advance.

relay operator, or communication's assitant, depending if it is state or ip relay.

You could contact local colleges or deaf centers for ASL tutors. I'm teaching a few at their homes.

Books and dvds/tapes help but easier to do it with people. Perhaps go to local events to socialize.

Best of luck :)

THanks for the reply. Any chance you could name some books or videos off the top of your head that could help? As far as meeting local people, I personally don't know anyone in my social group that is deaf. I used to be supervise a deaf person when I worked for UPS, but our communication was limited to hand signaling and pen and paper. I will be sure to look around though. I'm sure the U of Memphis has some sort of program.

If there is a Commission on the Deaf and Hard of Hearing in your state, you can give them a call and ask if there is any resource books or dvd's. Also, you can try calling deaf schools in your hometown and ask if they have an ASL coordinator who can lead you to classes where you can take ASL. It is much better to learn to sign with others. Try those 2 areas and see if you have any luck!! Good luck!! :wiggle:

cental34 - you can try Interpreting Services for the Deaf, Inc., (ISD) - their contact information can be found at: TCDHH site. They should be able to help you.

As for meeting/socializing with the deaf community in the Memphis (TN-MS-AR) area, there seems to be lack of information on events and such. Deaf Community Day and Memphis Deaf Community (probably still under construction). If I can find out more, I will post here. :)

Thanks Brian. My trouble as of now is trying to find local organizations. That helps a bunch.

Back