Getting past captchas

I know captchas are designed to block out bots from spamming sites and blogs...but they bar out blind and deafblind people along with the bots. Needless to say, it really pisses me off! :mad2:

What do you do when you have a captcha you can't get past and there are no sighted or hearing people around? I usually try to see if there is an administrator I can contact, but often times either no one replies or I can't find an email address.

Any suggestions on what to do then? :ty:

I'd like to know the answer to that too as I'm shut out of sites that have catcha's since there is nothing I can do about them.

The reason I created this thread is because as a deafblind person, I can't get around them. I think the only deafblind people that can are ones that have enough useful vision to see the captcha. The text ones where you're asked a simple question or math equation are the only captchas I can get past.

I'd like to know the answer to that too as I'm shut out of sites that have catcha's since there is nothing I can do about them.

or.... you can ask sighted person for assistance. I'm more than willing to help you out on that part. The best you can do is email the admin to make it blind-friendly site. More and more sites have "voice" alternative instead of captcha and that's good because lot of adults have eyesight problem.

or.... you can ask sighted person for assistance. I'm more than willing to help you out on that part. The best you can do is email the admin to make it blind-friendly site. More and more sites have "voice" alternative instead of captcha and that's good because lot of adults have eyesight problem.

Thanks for the offer of help. My computer is set on no graphics. How would you get someone online to help?

Speech wouldn't work for me as I'm profoundly deaf.

Thanks for the offer of help. My computer is set on no graphics. How would you get someone online to help?

Speech wouldn't work for me as I'm profoundly deaf.

i can sign up for you and then you can change password yourself. this is an interesting problem because we webmasters try our best to cover people of all disabilities. DeafBlind is no doubt a very difficult task for webmaster as we are in world full of visual/audible-heavy contents.

The best I can think of is you to email admin and hopefully the admin will set up the account for you under extenuating circumstance but I can understand that is a rather inconvenient for you and admin. or..... you can ask me or your trusted sighted friend near you to create one for you.

Thanks Jiro. Next time I come across a visual verification I will remember this.

The best I can think of is you to email admin and hopefully the admin will set up the account for you under extenuating circumstance but I can understand that is a rather inconvenient for you and admin....
If someone went through all the trouble of doing these steps, it certainly would take the place of the usual Capsta blockage. No BOT would go this route. A webmaster should be flattered that a D/B or Blind person would want to enter their site so much that they would take the time to message them. Not likely that a particular website would be crushed with requests of this nature.

A thought just came to mind as a possible solution. It'll still be kind of a pain in the butt but it could work.

Imagine you're on a page that has the captcha. Take a screen shot of that page, save the image and send it to someone to tell you what it says. Maybe send via an IM like AIM or something.

Like I said I know it's not the best solution but just a thought for when someone is alone who is deaf/blind. That is of course assuming you can have an IM conversation.

Might even be possible to do over some phones like an iPhone.

Just thinking out loud here.

Ron

A thought just came to mind as a possible solution. It'll still be kind of a pain in the butt but it could work.

Imagine you're on a page that has the captcha. Take a screen shot of that page, save the image and send it to someone to tell you what it says. Maybe send via an IM like AIM or something.

Like I said I know it's not the best solution but just a thought for when someone is alone who is deaf/blind. That is of course assuming you can have an IM conversation.

Might even be possible to do over some phones like an iPhone.

Just thinking out loud here.

Ron

I had that thought but then.... you don't know if they're doing it right or not. kinda like trying to paint the picture with right colors with your eyes blindfolded.

I had that thought but then.... you don't know if they're doing it right or not. kinda like trying to paint the picture with right colors with your eyes blindfolded.

Plus I don't own a camera or a mobile with picture taking facilities. I didn't even have one when I had more vision.

Another thing to keep in mind is that many captchas refresh themselves so if you link the page to a sighted friend, the captcha they see is different from the one you originally had.

I know that asking for sighted assistance is a possibility, but I always appreciate when I can do something without having to rely on a sighted/hearing person.

The last time I asked a friend to sign up for a site on their computer for me, we both got banned because they thought our user names belonged to the same person because of the matching IP addresses.

In the end I usually end up either relying on a sighted person or not signing up if the admin doesn't reply to my request for registration.

:laugh2: Good analogy.

Plus I don't own a camera or a mobile with picture taking facilities. I didn't even have one when I had more vision.

You don't need to own a camera. If you have a computer and a keyboard you can make a screen shot.

Click the FN key and the PrtSc key on your keyboard at the same time. You've just made a screen shot.

You don't need to own a camera. If you have a computer and a keyboard you can make a screen shot.

Click the FN key and the PrtSc key on your keyboard at the same time. You've just made a screen shot.

it doesn't always capture it correctly but then - how do you know if you captured it "paste" it to right place? how do you know if you captured it properly? it's very tricky doing whole thing without looking at it. probably impossible! it's as impossible as a deafie trying to guess what the verbal-version of captcha is saying :lol:

The Screen shot method I mentioned above will work. I know it's not the best solution but it can work if you can talk to someone in a messenger such as AIM. Here are the steps.

You do not need a camera. Windows has the ability to take pictures of your screen already!

Go to the page with the captcha. While the page is up click (fn) and the (PrtSc) keys on your keyboard at the same time. This will take a picture of your entire screen.

The (Fn) means "Function" and the (PrtSc) key means "Print Screen".

Now open a paint program such as MS Paint. Click "Edit" then "Paste". This will paste the screen shot you just made in the MS paint.

Save the image on your desktop.

Now send this image to a friend in a messenger such as AIM. They'll be able to download it. See the captcha in the image and tell you what it says.

Like I said. Not the best solution but it does work.

Ron

Thanks RonJaxon. My only concern is if the image would be large enough for the captcha to be visible. Also, is this something that can be done without vision?

Here's an example of a screen shot I made with the method in my last post. It's readable to someone without any visual impairment.

http://www.magicjax.com/captcha.jpg

As far as being done without vision. I think you can but of course I'm not sure. Maybe someone can give it a try to confirm.

Can you open MS paint, paste an image in and save it?

Thanks RonJaxon. My wife said the captcha was clearly visible. :ty::ty:

There's also a program that Windows has that magnifies whatever the "magnifing cursor" is over. It's like a small window on your computer screen that shows you an enlarged version.

So, if you need to see something larger for one thing... you can use that program. :)

(It's under "Accessibility".)

Back