Getting my mom to understand I cannot hear her

Sometimes its hard, and I wish she understood, but I guess I just have to keep going on. Keep writing, and bringing happiness to myself and people who care about me.Wolves are my favorite animal, I have a lot of wolf stuff, and a necklace with a picture of a wolf that I adopted a year ago

Hi 'Wolfgirl, It is time to bring in the big gun on this situation, your uncle.

He has tried believe me. He even pointed out my HA. Its no use, so he gave up. He told me not to worry, and to just keep trudging on my mom will come around someday..... Its all a matter of when. My aunt says that she may end up breaking down in tears.

I just hope that she will come to understand, and not be all mad at me for not being able to communicate through talking.

Funny thing my sister brought up was that since I have been losing my hearing, and I am so comfortable with it, she told our uncle that I would probably marry a Deaf man, and asked him what the family would do then. Well, he said that if I did, he and everyone else would accept him as they habe me. Her fear was that mom would not accept this future man I have yet to meet.my uncle says to her, don't worry, god has it all in his plan for your sister.

And you are fourteen you should not be worrying about your sisters love life LOL. When she told me this, I was touched, but also at the same time I agreed.

Then she asked me if I did meet that special guy if he would replace her as my signing buddy. Lol, I did not know my sister enjoyed signing with me. Sorry about the rant guys, I just had to say something about this.

do you have experience with parent? do you have trouble write communication with parents. cause difficult to pretty. parents doens't aware to deaf community social. I encourage to you write on sign language. parents won't ignore to you I believe wish be you. I spoken to dad seems on seems know on my life. I told to I already i accept to deaf I remove implant. i told my dad. explain to pls I am accept to deaf. he forgive to me accept he love me. that is good hear. I tell you my mom is very pretty know on sign language experience. my dad know already on I am deaf of course family all of us knew. wise he sure learn mistake how feeling , I right to how, I communication and write supportive wonderful. I am very encourage to sister and family wonderful no problem I glad of on ASL. I expect to you tell find out see write communication to mom, you should be teach sign language to her. or supportive. I advise to teach sign language and both communication. I know hard on frustrated. it is very life!
It is difficulty. it pretty recognized to my family thought to best supportive encourage to successfully. I wish be you fix on resolve or continue to figure out help better improve pleasure adjust to time communication and ASL !

Sometimes its hard, and I wish she understood, but I guess I just have to keep going on. Keep writing, and bringing happiness to myself and people who care about me.Wolves are my favorite animal, I have a lot of wolf stuff, and a necklace with a picture of a wolf that I adopted a year ago

My family never really understand what it was like for me being hoh , I am the only in my family that is hoh. I understand what you mean about it being hard and I bet it can be up setting at times too. Your mother may never get it, or just is having a hard accepting that you're losing your hearing. I think it's really sad that your mother is acting this way toward you , but like you said you have to live your own life and get support from people that know you can't hear.

He has tried believe me. He even pointed out my HA. Its no use, so he gave up. He told me not to worry, and to just keep trudging on.

Then she asked me if I did meet that special guy if he would replace her as my signing buddy. Lol, I did not know my sister enjoyed signing with me. Sorry about the rant guys, I just had to say something about this.

It is important to remember that if you can have genuine friendships in your own family like with your sister and uncle that those are incredibly precious things. There is no rule that says when you find a man you have a good relationship with that family favorites need to be left out. Sometimes it may take some extra effort on your part but it is important to do it.

In the meantime enjoy the good times with them and let them know that they are not going to be kicked aside like an old pair of shoes when James Deen comes along. --- That is my interpretation of what they are saying to you.

Last edited:
Took my mom awhile to come to terms with my deafness. She now wants to learn ASL and she gets me to teach her new signs as I learn them :)

My gma a few weeks ago made a funny statement.. Why don't i become an interpreter?
I was like um I'm deaf..that wouldn't really work..I NEED the terp. lol She was like you could make good money..i was like a deaf person wouldn't hire another deaf person to be a terp for them lol I would need a terp to terp for me so I could terp lol..not an ideal situation :P

He has tried believe me. He even pointed out my HA. Its no use, so he gave up. He told me not to worry, and to just keep trudging on my mom will come around someday..... Its all a matter of when. My aunt says that she may end up breaking down in tears.

I hate to say this but sometimes parents like that never get it. Robert DeMayo in "See What I'm Saying" relates his personal story about trying to communicate to his mother while she was on her death bed. Even right at the end she couldn't understand why this "stranger" (the interpreter) was talking to her and why Robert wasn't speaking to her directly. Very sad.

If someone doesn't your "hearing/loss" you must so advise-forthwith. Advise the other to write. One must continue to the "other" alters their behaviour-speaking wise.

This above-advice from Canadian Hearing Society/Toronto. -their course_ how to cope/deal with YOUR Hearing Loss. also applies if one is DEAF. It is being "assertive"!

"eventually" the other will get the picture-you have a Hearing loss.

Back