Getting CI- Confused not sure what to do

Status
Not open for further replies.
Supply house? Are you implying that I am a retailer of these products?

C1

I'm not implying anything. I asked a direct question. Why are you avoiding answering?

The term supply house is typically used to describe retailers. I am not retailer of anything.

Yes. I am involved in the hearing industry, and if you cannot tell who I work for then I have achieved my goal of trying to provide as unbaised of information as I can about the function of these devices.

C1

The term supply house is typically used to describe retailers. I am not retailer of anything.

Yes. I am involved in the hearing industry, and if you cannot tell who I work for then I have achieved my goal of trying to provide as unbaised of information as I about the function of these devices.

C1

It has nothing to do with unbiased information. It has to do with subterfuge. I am suspect of anyone who attempts to disquise their true motive. Your, quite obviously, is monetary in nature. I do hope you feel oh, so proud of yourself for finding yet another way to profit off of the deaf...AD.

And the info you are providing is anything but unbiased.

It has nothing to do with unbiased information. It has to do with subterfuge. I am suspect of anyone who attempts to disquise their true motive. Your, quite obviously, is monetary in nature. I do hope you feel oh, so proud of yourself for finding yet another way to profit off of the deaf...AD.

And the info you are providing is anything but unbiased.

I am confused about what you think my profit motives are and what unbaised information I have given. Do you believe I have advocated for one company or product over another?

You quote when I said that a person should not take a decision to be implanted lightly as unbiased? In fact, I would argue that for any surgery that people understand the risk and rewards before comitting to it.

C1

I am confused about what you think my profit motives are and what unbaised information I have given. Do you believe I have advocated for one company or product over another?

You quote when I said that a person should not take a decision to be implanted lightly as unbiased? In fact, I would argue that for any surgery that people understand the risk and rewards before comitting to it.

C1

Your posts speak for themselves. They are what clued me into the fact that you were part of the industry.

C1

No offense, but you would make the perfect snake oil salesman. Just saying. :lol:

Your posts speak for themselves. They are what clued me into the fact that you were part of the industry.

Well, I would have suspected that you could tell with the amount of details and reguatory information that I have talked about, as well as the general market place for hearing, that I know it from a much different perspective.

C1.

No offense, but you would make the perfect snake oil salesman. Just saying. :lol:

I would disagree if you read my posts.

Like this comment. "I believe all three (I will leave out Nueralec) are very similiar in actual patient performance at this point in time."

If I was selling you something I would have said 2 of them are total crap and only Brand Y is worth a damn. Each of the implant brands have their strengths and weaknesses. And again, as if your read on here, actual patient results are mostly the same for all of them. You wont get one that you get 90% HINT score at 40db and one gives you 50% HINT at 40db. Although I am not sure there is clinical data to support this (it would be very hard to get) that if the same person was implanted in the same ear with two CI systems, the HINT score would likely be almost identical.

So really, if I am selling you snake oil (or something else) I would be starving.

The one comment that really pissed me off was saying that I have found yet another way to profit from the deaf. First, that is abosulyely not true. I have nothing to sell. I am involved in research. Secondly, my general problem with that comment is I believe in a free market. Farmers profit every day off my hunger. Oil companies profit everyday off my desire not walk as do car companies. A doctor (and some laser company) profited off my vision imparement. First I wore contacts (those aren't free) and then had LASIK (that isn't free). Some stent company profited from my fathers bypass surgey with 5 stents. On any given day millions of people take medication and the companies make a profit. So, yes, companies thay supply technolgy to hearing market make money. If they didn't people would still be using ear horns.

How many people on this forum go to work everyday and do it without pay because they are just really good people out to help society? In fact, I would even put this challenge forward. The computing industry has for years talked about how bad Microsoft is. As a result, there is free OS software (Linux) and broswers (Mozilla) that were written as open source software by contributors that didn't intend to make money. Please, if everyone is so evil, feel free to start a hearing aid/implant company that is open source and doesn't charge patients for the device or charges what the buyers think it should be. The model i would suggest is the "shareware" model. You give the device away for 30-60 days and then let the patient pay you what they think it is worth to them. Many will give you nothing, but some will pay.

C1

I would disagree if you read my posts.

Like this comment. "I believe all three (I will leave out Nueralec) are very similiar in actual patient performance at this point in time."

If I was selling you something I would have said 2 of them are total crap and only Brand Y is worth a damn. Each of the implant brands have their strengths and weaknesses. And again, as if your read on here, actual patient results are mostly the same for all of them. You wont get one that you get 90% HINT score at 40db and one gives you 50% HINT at 40db. Although I am not sure there is clinical data to support this (it would be very hard to get) that if the same person was implanted in the same ear with two CI systems, the HINT score would likely be almost identical.

So really, if I am selling you snake oil (or something else) I would be starving.

The one comment that really pissed me off was saying that I have found yet another way to profit from the deaf. First, that is abosulyely not true. I have nothing to sell. I am involved in research. Secondly, my general problem with that comment is I believe in a free market. Farmers profit every day off my hunger. Oil companies profit everyday off my desire not walk as do car companies. A doctor (and some laser company) profited off my vision imparement. First I wore contacts (those aren't free) and then had LASIK (that isn't free). Some stent company profited from my fathers bypass surgey with 5 stents. On any given day millions of people take medication and the companies make a profit. So, yes, companies thay supply technolgy to hearing market make money. If they didn't people would still be using ear horns.

How many people on this forum go to work everyday and do it without pay because they are just really good people out to help society? In fact, I would even put this challenge forward. The computing industry has for years talked about how bad Microsoft is. As a result, there is free OS software (Linux) and broswers (Mozilla) that were written as open source software by contributors that didn't intend to make money. Please, if everyone is so evil, feel free to start a hearing aid/implant company that is open source and doesn't charge patients for the device or charges what the buyers think it should be. The model i would suggest is the "shareware" model. You give the device away for 30-60 days and then let the patient pay you what they think it is worth to them. Many will give you nothing, but some will pay.

C1

There is profit in research. Your other comparisons are fallacious. Nice try.

you think i will do as well with brand y as i wud with brand z?
some people i have spoken to on another forum have made it out that i wont do so well if i pick a certain brand. it was hard enough to make the decision to go ahead with gettin this surgery, and now ive been struggling to choose a brand for past few months.

over the pond thanks for that link,
my pre op is on wed 15 dec, im hoping that this will clear up a few things for me.
does anyone know the time frame for new processors with cochlear? is it generally every 3 -4 yrs?
altough my operation will be paid for by the government i will have to pay for any new processors in the future. i better start saving for the next one as there that expensive.....

i have a question.
why is it that my audio will not advise me on brands, she tells me there all good. but why is it that some people claim brand z is better than brand y or x.
surely my audio wants me to do the best i possibly can. If one brand id better than another surely she would be able to tell me this ???
i feel like im been thrown in the deep end and im afraid of regrettin one brand over another.
do u think the only people who can tell u the answer is those who are bi -lateral and have two different brands ?

i have a question.
why is it that my audio will not advise me on brands, she tells me there all good. but why is it that some people claim brand z is better than brand y or x.
surely my audio wants me to do the best i possibly can. If one brand id better than another surely she would be able to tell me this ???
i feel like im been thrown in the deep end and im afraid of regrettin one brand over another.
do u think the only people who can tell u the answer is those who are bi -lateral and have two different brands ?

Because it is unethical for her to tell you one brand is better than another. Audis are supposed to be unbiased. To promote one brand over another creates all sorts of complications with the ethics board and legally.

Wirelessly posted

nichola said:
i have a question.

The best they can tell you how each works.

i have a question.
I simply went with the brand that my surgeon, hearing / speech center work with.

As for which of the 3 companies' brand to get- I guess what does know the electronics of the specific brand? I my case almost 3 1/2 years ago- the Cochlear Implant section Sunnybrook/Toronto which has over 18 years experience in these matters, decided Advanced Bionics-Harmony was best for me. As mentioned before - never heard of the company but had heard of Cochlear Corp before. Irony: had one of their booklets explaining the whole thing.
To date no problem with Advanced Bionics-Harmony. All questions I had were made directly to audiologist which was assigned to me from the start way back in Feb/07.I am not sure if i had joined alldeaf.com then -what might have changed. From reading the many comments we seem to have a variety opinions! Oddly enough I didn't seek opinions of the Cochlear Implant patients here in Toronto either.
I have no regrets on what I did back then-today. I became bilateral deaf on Dec 20/06 with process starting in early Feb/07- to determine if suitable for an Implant at Sunnybrook/Toronto. Fortunately-successful!

Implanted Advanced Bionics-Harmony activated Aug/07

AB is NOT BETTER than Cochlear America. faire_jour you do NOT qualify to classify a brand from another, please stay away from these claims that there is a brand is better than other.

This forum is not about any brand, this is what I like about this forum, it's a fair forum where people like us can share info away from any company's hidden agendas, we are here to get what is best for us. These companies are after $$$$ they will do anything to get it, we are the poor ones who are falling victims for their claims when the facts are clear, an implant is an implant, the difference is in some software which is outside and can be changed any minute, we are NOT here to bring money to certain company but rather to share experiences and help each other.

I appreciate if we all agree on this

I agree with you that this is the downside of capitalism. Tread carefully in deciding what is best for you. You have time on your side.

I don't want CI for myself as I am comfortable with Deaf world and ASL.

im wondering alot about when i get the ci . will be worth it or not ? i know that no one can give me a crystal ball and tell me . but is there any people out there that felt they were better off before going the ci route or would you definitley think things are better now after getting ci ?

Nichola, Are you happy with your Hearing aids? how much can you hear with HA's? how bad is your loss? do you have worser ear?

over the pond- im due my pre op on wed so il let u know my exact hearing loss levels then. i know one ear is worst. i think if i qualify then maybe it must be better than aids,
the reason i qualified was because they lowed the criteria in ireland two yrs ago.
if i was in a car in the dark i wud pick up very little with out lip reading,
i do how ever know that my speech reg score with no lip reading is 31 -33% with both my aids in, my speech is good. i am 29 and started losing hearing from 8 yrs old, its been a very slow degrade since then . without lipreading im lost. i can barely hold a conversation on the phone. barely...., i fear the phone!!!
im hoping this meeting with surgeon on wed will clear up my worries.

There is profit in research. Your other comparisons are fallacious. Nice try.

Ding. Ding. Ding. There is profit in everything sold.

Do you work for free?? If you do then you can talk to me about my ethics of getting paid for what I do. If you don't work for free, why not?

C1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back