Getting CI- Confused not sure what to do

Status
Not open for further replies.
They should do upgrades for free, it's unfair that they come up with some new fixes and ask us to pay for it.

Why do you think there should be free "upgrades"? Do you believe if you buy you Oticon HA and 5 years later when sound processing technology is developed that you should get a free "upgrade" to the newest one? When you buy a computer, do you believe two years later when the processor is twice as fast, Intel owes you a new computer?

Now, if they are fixing bugs, I agree with you. But typically that is a firmware/software upgrade. But just because new features are added doesnt mean someone is entitled to get the latests and greatest.

C1

deaffy, I keep thinking what "IF" Ci won't work for some reason or, then I will have an ear that is gone forever, this is hard when you have 90db loss, if I at 110 or 120 db then yes I may have nothing to lose at that stage, but at this point at least I can put in the hearing aids and communicate and do my job, but again, I ask myself what "IF" Ci works way better than my HA and then if I don't do it now and do it 10 years from now and find out that I lost 10 years for not doing it.
I wish that there are some clear answers that CI will work for this and not work for that. Everything is based on variable with CI results, everything vary and depend on so many factors

You must understand that HA and CI are much different in how they operate. HA have put a lot time/effort/money/research into speech and sound processing. A HA must take sound that you want to hear and noises you dont want to hear and output a signal you want to hear. The output symbol is generally broad band meaning you get a continuous, “smooth” sound output. Think of it as a miniature stereo system. A CI has very discrete channels and can only output around 12 to 20 specific tones (depending upon the number of electrodes and electrical field overlapping) and the output tones are based upon where the electrodes are placed in the cochlea. One way to think of this is having a bunch of buzzers that each make a sound. You then try to combine the out signals to make a something that somewhat sounds recognizable. The middle ground, as you mentioned are MEIs. These typically have broadband signals but directly stimulate the middle ear and have higher output than HAs. However, it sounds like you are in the USA and therefore you don’t have many choices of a MEI.

You have mentioned Bluetooth, etc with your HA. At the moment you will have a hard time finding CIs with the same features. Wait and see what the future holds.

C1

if I get someone asks to meet me to see how I'm doing so they can make a decision I will be happy to meet them in a coffee shop and discuss my experience, but how would someone thinks to advertise to a certain brand to get some freebies and may be some job offers from that company and not be willing to proof his theory of him doing better.

This thing keeps bothering me to know, is Cochlear America is better than Advanced Bionic or are they same or it does not matter, implant is an implant and the difference is in the software, this is very burning question that no one is answering.

1) Claiming people are getting free goods and jobs for "advertising" is a serious charge. Do you have proof this occured or just an opinion? Who was offered a job in return for their testimonial?

2) Software is part of an implant. You only get what that company offers just as you get Oticon software with your Oticon HA. For your other question, simply look at the pictures of the different CIs. You will see they all look different so, no, they are different.

3) Who would actually know if the CIs are the same or one is better than the other? Here is how I would look at it. Each product has strengths and weaknesses.

C1

1) Claiming people are getting free goods and jobs for "advertising" is a serious charge. Do you have proof this occured or just an opinion? Who was offered a job in return for their testimonial?

2) Software is part of an implant. You only get what that company offers just as you get Oticon software with your Oticon HA. For your other question, simply look at the pictures of the different CIs. You will see they all look different so, no, they are different.

3) Who would actually know if the CIs are the same or one is better than the other? Here is how I would look at it. Each product has strengths and weaknesses.

C1
OK here we go again, I suggest that you stay on the other forum, you seem to be annoyed by my post for some reason or other, you need to know that you came to the wring forum :), go stay on YOUR forum where you can say your fake wows to the poor future CI people who only looking for some honest answers, there is no reason for you to get annoyed by my post if you are NOT ONE OF THEM.
Try other way in responding to me as I'm here where I belong, no one here will kick me out just because I'm looking for the truth.
A truth of what CI will do for me, a truth about what certain brand will do and not do without fake wows and fake claims from some brain washed advertisers, I suggest that you go find a real good job rather than chasing me around the internet.

Your Oticon HA mostly likely has much better sound processing than any CI on the market.

C1

You for sure a the "crazy one" on the other forum, you for sure came here to chase me and you seem to know me, take your bag and hung somewhere else, trust me I'm not going to let you chase me here, you are full of it and have no clue. WHO ARE YOU TO COME here and criticize me and my performance or my HA, you sure have some agenda people here do not know it, BUT YES I know who you are and you are NOT GOING TO WIN here, NOT ON THIS FORUM.

Last edited:
You must understand that HA and CI are much different in how they operate. HA have put a lot time/effort/money/research into speech and sound processing. A HA must take sound that you want to hear and noises you dont want to hear and output a signal you want to hear. The output symbol is generally broad band meaning you get a continuous, “smooth” sound output. Think of it as a miniature stereo system. A CI has very discrete channels and can only output around 12 to 20 specific tones (depending upon the number of electrodes and electrical field overlapping) and the output tones are based upon where the electrodes are placed in the cochlea. One way to think of this is having a bunch of buzzers that each make a sound. You then try to combine the out signals to make a something that somewhat sounds recognizable. The middle ground, as you mentioned are MEIs. These typically have broadband signals but directly stimulate the middle ear and have higher output than HAs. However, it sounds like you are in the USA and therefore you don’t have many choices of a MEI.

You have mentioned Bluetooth, etc with your HA. At the moment you will have a hard time finding CIs with the same features. Wait and see what the future holds.

C1

Keep your advise to yourself and NEVER EVER answer my posts, STOP chasing me and STOP making yourself someone else, you are making yourself answering some of my posts innocently and then attack me with other posts so you can clean up what I have found on some companies, DO NOT reply to my posts, stay OUT.

You for sure a the "crazy one" on the other forum, you for sure came here to chase me and you seem to know me, go tell them that I'm cooking a lawsuit against them if they DO NOT STOP, take your bag and hung somewhere else, trust me I'm not going to let you chase me here, you are full of S**T and have no clue or morals. WHO ARE YOU TO COME here and criticize me and my performance or my HA, you sure have some agenda people here do not know it, BUT YES I know who you are and you are NOT GOING TO WIN here, NOT ON THIS FORUM.

Chill out. I have never talked to you on any forum. I simply answered many of your questions in the order that you posted. However, when you make accusations of essentially bribery and violation of US Federal Law, those are serious. I highly suggest if you have proof of any violation of US Federal law, please report these people to the FDA.

Take time, calm down, and read and you will see information that you can use. If, I was as you claim, pushing an agenda for someone, I doubt I would have said that each one has its strengths.

I wish you luck in your search.

C1

over the pond - thank you for info on the compatabilty.
daredevil- i do agree with you on this that i need to lower my expectaions. for what im giving up i hope im going to gain more than what i had.
crazy one. do u have an implant? do u believe both implants are as good as each other, ?
im finding it quite hard to decide but with the ab recall i think im going to stick with cochlear

Wirelessly posted

i sure don't get paid, but i am more than willing to tell you why i believe ab is better than cochlear :wave:

Keep your advise to yourself and NEVER EVER answer my posts, STOP chasing me and STOP making yourself someone else, you are making yourself answering some of my posts innocently and then attack me with other posts so you can clean up what I have found on some companies, DO NOT reply to my posts, stay OUT.

This is a public place....just saying so you are aware and act/post accordingly.

AB is NOT BETTER than Cochlear America. faire_jour you do NOT qualify to classify a brand from another, please stay away from these claims that there is a brand is better than other.

This forum is not about any brand, this is what I like about this forum, it's a fair forum where people like us can share info away from any company's hidden agendas, we are here to get what is best for us. These companies are after $$$$ they will do anything to get it, we are the poor ones who are falling victims for their claims when the facts are clear, an implant is an implant, the difference is in some software which is outside and can be changed any minute, we are NOT here to bring money to certain company but rather to share experiences and help each other.

I appreciate if we all agree on this

AB is NOT BETTER than Cochlear America. faire_jour you do NOT qualify to classify a brand from another, please stay away from these claims that there is a brand is better than other.

This forum is not about any brand, this is what I like about this forum, it's a fair forum where people like us can share info away from any company's hidden agendas, we are here to get what is best for us. These companies are after $$$$ they will do anything to get it, we are the poor ones who are falling victims for their claims when the facts are clear, an implant is an implant, the difference is in some software which is outside and can be changed any minute, we are NOT here to bring money to certain company but rather to share experiences and help each other.

FJ's is a personal opinion, based on her experience, nothing more....

I think he doesn't want a AB vs. Cochlear

He just want to talk about implants in general.

Wirelessly posted

Fl885 said:

and if i don't agree? :)

oh sure... poor little cochlear kids.. they just can't succeed because they don't have AB.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back