Getting ASL in a TC classroom

WeeBeastie

Reaction score
I have become concerned that my daughter is not getting any exposure to ASL in her early childhood classroom (public school DHH program). The best I can describe it, her class operated in a Total Communication fashion. The teacher speaks 100% of the time and uses a 'loose' Signed English. There is no 'pure' ASL, contrary to what I was told in November. The teacher admits to not being confident in ASL and uncomfortable in using it in the classroom. Now, for the class as a whole, this works. Of 8 kids, 5 are oral/aural, 2 are nonverbal non-signers and then there's K, who is profound and non-oral. It's a great set up for the average needs of the class, but not so much for my kid individually.

My biggest concern is that she is not being exposed to a true language. At best, she's getting broken English via Signed English. After much research, it seems to be the consensus that kids with a firm footing in their first language have a much easier time learning a second. At 3, my daughter is falling behind in language skills, regardless of method. How is she to learn to read English in a few years if there's no established language to teach her in?

I am preparing to request an IEP review to include ASL as an instruction mode and possible individual instruction in ASL (language lessons). In sharing this with another parent who's been in the system for some years, I've been warned I will have to fight to get either. So, I'm now on the defensive.

Concern #1: She's already "getting ASL signs" in the classroom. The district may see this as "enough for now" since she's not proficient in ASL anyway. (I am learning as fast as I can, but her needs are have surpassed what I can give her at home and I'm not qualified to teach her anyway.)

Concern #2: She's getting speech services and therefore should be focusing on speaking/learning English. (Her IEP is worded in such a way that speech services are necessary to learn lipreading.)

Concern #3: Getting an ASL terp/teacher. The district's pool of educational terps, as a whole, are not experienced in ASL. They use Signed English/SEE in the classrooms. The district may have to go outside the pool to find someone qualified which would mean hiring... not something they'll be happy about.

Concern #4: The school doesn't know it yet, but she will not be in their program long. Hopefully, in the next year or so we will be able to move nearer the Bi-Bi Deaf School so she can start there. If the school were to figure this out, they may write her off as a 'short timer' and not feel it's worth the expense for a child who will not be staying in the district. However, by not jumping on this now, she'll fall further behind and be at a disadvantage when she starts at the Deaf School.

Anyone have any thoughts/advice/experience? I feel like I need to do a massive research paper to prepare for this, so much so that I haven't requested the meeting yet.

I wouldnt mention to the school that she will be leaving the program. If they dont understand what they are doing, give them this scenario...tell them to imagine a hearing child being taught by a poor model of English and then ask them if they would find it acceptable. If they say no, then tell them that is what your daughter is getting. A poor model of ASL and as a result she is put at the risk of language delays. If they argue against it, it would seem like they really arent too concerned with deaf children's language development and shouldnt be working in the field of deaf education.

Putting ASL in your child's IEP is a good start because they would be breaking the law by not providing it.

Concern #4:
If the school were to figure this out, they may write her off as a 'short timer' and not feel it's worth the expense for a child who will not be staying in the district. However, by not jumping on this now, she'll fall further behind and be at a disadvantage when she starts at the Deaf School.
Teachers should NEVER do that rather the child is leaving or not. That would be a bad for any deaf students if teachers have that thought process. Parents don't even want teachers doing that to their hearing children if they find they are leaving the district.

I wouldnt mention to the school that she will be leaving the program. If they dont understand what they are doing, give them this scenario...tell them to imagine a hearing child being taught by a poor model of English and then ask them if they would find it acceptable. If they say no, then tell them that is what your daughter is getting. A poor model of ASL and as a result she is put at the risk of language delays. If they argue against it, it would seem like they really arent too concerned with deaf children's language development and shouldnt be working in the field of deaf education.

Putting ASL in your child's IEP is a good start because they would be breaking the law by not providing it.

Couldn't have said it better. And if they refuse to include ASL in the IEP, don't sign and take it to due process. That's what I did.

More inconsistency and controversy with DHH programs. Why are these programs not standardized as many other educational programs are? Even with the full toolbox approach there should be standards IMHO.

Concern #4: The school doesn't know it yet, but she will not be in their program long. Hopefully, in the next year or so we will be able to move nearer the Bi-Bi Deaf School so she can start there. If the school were to figure this out, they may write her off as a 'short timer' and not feel it's worth the expense for a child who will not be staying in the district. However, by not jumping on this now, she'll fall further behind and be at a disadvantage when she starts at the Deaf School....
I wouldn't mention that at the IEP meeting. For one thing, plans can change and you might not move as soon as you expect. For another thing, it might seem like a "short" time to the school district but for a young child, even a few months delay in language development is a big deal. She's at a critical stage for language learning, and that opportunity won't come along again later.

The school doesn't know it yet, but she will not be in their program long. Hopefully, in the next year or so we will be able to move nearer the Bi-Bi Deaf School so she can start there
Oh that would be AWESOME! I think I heard that Wisconsin School for the Deaf is decent. Maybe a good idea might be to contact the School for the Deaf and point out that this program isn't that great. Also suggest to the teacher that they have a "voice off day" Little kids don't understand that just b/c they can hear, not everyone can hear and talk.

2 are nonverbal non-signers
Do you mean special needs nonverbal?
One possible plus by trying to improve Sign access, is that it might be discovered that the nonverbal non signers might not be as impaired as they think. So by improving ASL access you might be benifiting the other kids too!

Do you mean special needs nonverbal?
One possible plus by trying to improve Sign access, is that it might be discovered that the nonverbal non signers might not be as impaired as they think. So by improving ASL access you might be benifiting the other kids too!

Yes. One is very severely Autistic and the the other has other needs that prevent her from using her hands.

Thanks for all the advice. I had no intention of telling the school that she'd be leaving eventually, but I have told others, and you know how things travel. We do have plans to visit WSD later this spring with our Deaf Mentor.

Let us know how it goes, WeeBeastie! You seem to be on top of things.:wave:

Back