Germany bans cola after drug test

Liebling:-)))

Sussi *7.7.86 - 18.6.09*
Premium Member
Reaction score
Germany bans cola after drug test

The authorities in six German states have ordered retailers to stop selling Red Bull Cola energy drinks after traces of cocaine were found in it.

The recall came after a sample analysis conducted in North-Rhine Westphalia found one litre of the drink contained 0.4 micrograms of the banned substance.

Officials said the cocaine levels were too low to pose a health threat but were not permitted in foodstuffs.

Red Bull said its cola was "harmless and marketable" in both the US and EU.

The company said coca leaf extracts were used worldwide as a natural flavouring, and that its own tests had found no traces of cocaine.

Classified as narcotic

The illegal cocaine alkaloid - one of 10 found in coca and representing only 0.8% of the plant's chemical make-up - is chemically removed before use, as mandated by international anti-narcotics agencies.

"There is no scientific basis for this ban on Red Bull Cola because the levels of cocaine found are so small," Fritz Soergel, the head of the Institute for Biomedical and Pharmaceutical Research in Nuremberg, Bavaria, told Time magazine.

"And it's not even cocaine itself. According to the tests we carried out, it's a non-active degradation product with no effect on the body. If you start examining lots of other drinks and food so carefully, you'd find a lot of surprising things."

But the authorities in North-Rhine Westphalia said the presence of coca leaf extracts meant the cola could not be classified as a foodstuff but as a narcotic, which would require a special licence.

When Coca-Cola was first produced in the 19th Century, it famously contained traces of cocaine, but has not since 1903.

BBC NEWS | Europe | Germany bans cola after drug test

Now I wonder what is in other drinks?? I know I don't drink anything that is red which might contains carmine which is ground-up beetles. Yes. ground-up beetles make things bright red like in dyeing clothes.

Before my time, there were cocaine in coke and I can not image those people who drank coke getting high. Interest it is coming back but not much longer.

Before my time, there were cocaine in coke and I can not image those people who drank coke getting high. Interest it is coming back but not much longer.

What a business ploy to get people addicted to Coke in order to bring in loads of money for the company!

I remember my Mom saying something about that.

Oh well, I never drink any of that soda/softdrink/carbonated/alcohol junk. Only milk and natural fruit juices for me. Much healthier in everyway.

Ditto, I don´t drink any soda except pure juice, water, milk and herbal tea.

It was so weird! In USA isn't ban the COLA yet. I didn't know the cola have cocaine inside. I never like to drink pop because of carbonated and high sodium! I prefer water, tea, coffee and juice that all.

I'm glad that I am against Red Bull. I am supporting Efusjon. It is healthy drink. Please check website. Efusjon 4 Friends

I am selling energy drinks to everyone.
Sounds like another one of those Quixtar scams. Seems that Efusjon is an energy drink that's sold through salespeople who follow the MLM plan.

Yep. The reason that Red Bull USA isn't banned here it is because it is likely that the Red Bull sold in the US is bottled within the US and is under close supervision from the USDA as it is considered foodstuffs therefore USDA has oversight of the bottling.

The Red Bulls sold in Germany are likely bottled somewhere in the EU if not directly inside Germany. I have no idea what EU agency oversees food safety protocols for EU countries, but it may be more difficult as each country may have its own guidelines of what is acceptable in foodstuffs and what is not.

This would explain why Red Bull isn't banned here (yet).

Back