Genetic Modification, Good Or Bad?

Is removing deafness via genetic modification a good thing from the perspective of deaf people?

• Total voters
That is why they fertilize it and when it is 7 blastmeres they take one and run the test, out of the womb, and if it is what the parents want they implant it into the womb and hops it lives. If it is not they kill it before it grows any bigger or gets anything. At 7 blastomeres it is just a blob of cells and dna, so the only thing being 'killed' is cells, DNA, and a good sperm.
its still a living being after fertilization.... so where is that thin line drawn? Those little swimmers that get swallowed, its just a suicide mission?

That is why they fertilize it and when it is 7 blastmeres they take one and run the test, out of the womb, and if it is what the parents want they implant it into the womb and hops it lives. If it is not they kill it before it grows any bigger or gets anything. At 7 blastomeres it is just a blob of cells and dna, so the only thing being 'killed' is cells, DNA, and a good sperm.
Cells and good sprem? I guess that is one way to look at it and not the fact that it is a developing person...

I don't know maybe I just see it from a biologists pov. But I also think stem cells research is the future. So people will always disagree with me. It's okay

I don't know maybe I just see it from a biologists pov. But I also think stem cells research is the future. So people will always disagree with me. It's okay

There is a lot of benefit to stem cell research. ... but it can be gathered from adults and other methods and not keep creating lives just to abort them... we are not ment to all think alike... it would be dreadfully boring...

There is a lot of benefit to stem cell research. ... but it can be gathered from adults and other methods and not keep creating lives just to abort them... we are not ment to all think alike... it would be dreadfully boring...
:) yes it would be super boring. Hehe

On the flip side, what if they manage to create superbabies that can hear better than normal hearing? Should that be banned since it would give an unfair advantage to the "natural" babies?

its certainly bad for us and our cultures future, and language survival...

the argument that
"they cant do it yet" or thats way off" or never happen"
just doesnt add up to what we know of technological advancments in leaps and bounds the last 50 years,
many many many thought ci would be always and forever a hearie wet dream because of the technological difficulties as well as surgical plms,associated with the bilk of the implant prior to the advance of digital technology in the digital revolution the last 20 years...
we obviously know better now considering what has happened, most of it if not all with no or little regard the Deaf it targets.

the numbers are stark, the ramifications starker

its crucial to have the discussion and involvement in any new tech prior to its being unleashed not after

once they do it, (ci is an example first done with against medical advice and not even approved), its almost impossible to get a handle on it or prevent it.

same goes for all these mutant gene dreams of clones the guys in white coats wish to cook up...

Ugly and attractive are both relative, meaning that what is ugly or unattractive to you is not necessarily ugly or unattractive to everyone else.

EDIT to add: Different strokes for different folks.

Last edited:
ha funny..cappy...i had for years one for those hanging of my rearview mirror..

your avatar...

mine was a corno of course, but it looked exactly like your avatar.
great days....
ah
(kissing corno hanging from my chain)

I had to look that up. My avatar is a hot pepper. But, I see now. Learned something new.

Last edited:
Yeah you see a lot of uglies with some fuglies.... thats ok, cause someone gotta love them too. But I feel some are just hard up and take whatever they can get ( wonder how some can breed) ewww lol

...I am so lost lol. We are talking about avatars looking like something and ugly people?

When the cat is away, the mice go on a beer run.
Anyone else have a good one?
When the cat is away the mice, _____ (fill in the blank)

Back