General life experiences

Tasky

Reaction score
Hello everyone! I'm an ASL student and I've heard quite a few people mention how difficult it can be for Deaf growing up. I was wondering if anyone would be willing to chime in about their experiences.

What I'm most curious about is:

Is your family Deaf/HOH as well?

Do any of your family members know sign language?

Did your parents/guardians support your deafness or did they view it in a negative way?

Were you sent to a Residential/Day school or mainstreamed?

Did you enjoy whichever school you went to?

Was signing encouraged or was it forbidden?

Do you have mostly hearing friends, Deaf friends, or both?

Did you attend Gallaudet University, a different college, or not at all?

If you have a spouse/significant other, are they Deaf? A CODA? Or hearing?

If you want children, would you prefer they were Deaf?

Yes
Yes
Did your parents/guardians support your deafness ?
Yes
Yes

Yes

Yes

Yes

Yes

Yes

Yes

If you want to know these things for your own enlightenment, read thru previous threads (use the Search option for topics).

If you are doing a homework assignment . . . well….

Yes
Yes
Did your parents/guardians support your deafness ?
Yes
Yes

Yes

Yes

Yes

Yes

Yes

Yes

Ditto, if yuo dont mind, bott! :lol:

I am curious about knowing something about you beside just being a student . It would be nice if gave a little back ground about yourself before asking about mine.

I am curious about knowing something about you beside just being a student . It would be nice if gave a little back ground about yourself before asking about mine.

I'm more than willing to give you more info about myself. I grew up in Aurora, IL before moving to a small farm in the country when I was about 5 or 6. Not sure what first sparked our interest but my family started keeping chickens soon after moving. They would usually arrive in the mail in March which meant I could skip out of school to go get them at the post office. Besides the chickens, my family has also had horses, ducks, ferrets, dogs, cats, and even an alligator at one time.

I myself am not Deaf. My first experience with sign language, that I can recall, was in high school. About halfway through freshman year we started learning the ASL alphabet. When people asked why, we found out one of our two teachers (it was 2 classes in 1) was Deaf/HOH. I'm guessing that she was mainstreamed as, apart from the alphabet, I never saw her sign. She also relied mainly on speech-reading as well. I wanted to possibly get in touch with her again but she no longer works at that high school anymore.

If you're curious about anything else just let me know.

Oh boy, the chance to help another ASL student with their homework! YAY! :roll: We should all feel so privileged to be studied and asked by every single ASL student in the world to help with their assignments. This one tried to play it off like they were just curious rather than asking help with the assignment though, CRAFTY aren't we?! :roll:

Oh boy, the chance to help another ASL student with their homework! YAY! :roll: We should all feel so privileged to be studied and asked by every single ASL student in the world to help with their assignments. This one tried to play it off like they were just curious rather than asking help with the assignment though, CRAFTY aren't we?! :roll:

It is the same thing over and over again with different ASL students. They never bother to read many posts about our deafness and our experience being deaf/hard of hearing growing up. They have to find the posts looking for an answer to their questions instead of asking us question right at this moment and they always say they are late or getting close to their deadline for exam. No wonder we get tired of repeating this questions. We are not guinec (spelling?) pigs. Thank you very much. :roll:

Wirelessly posted

I love being bait! As long as I'm being used as sexy bait... :twisted: Bait me some sexy women! Whooooooo! :twisted:

Is your family Deaf/HOH as well? No, I'm the only one

Do any of your family members know sign language? Nope

Did your parents/guardians support your deafness or did they view it in a negative way? Neither, more like viewed hearing aid as a all around magical cure for me and that ASL wasn't needed.

I was mainstreamed.

Yes and No, mostly no

neither

Do you have mostly hearing friends, Deaf friends, or both? I have both

Did you attend Gallaudet University, a different college, or not at all? none

If you have a spouse/significant other, are they Deaf? A CODA? Or hearing? My significant other is hearing, but very aware of deaf culture and signs with me.

I would accept a child regardless if she was deaf or hearing.

Time for me to turn the tables. Picture this at any forum elsewhere:

What I'm most curious about is:

Is your family hearing as well?

Do any of your family members know how to speak?

Did your parents/guardians support your hearing or did they view it in a negative way?

Were you sent to a private school or public school?

Was speaking encouraged or was it forbidden?

Did you attend Harvard University, a different college, or not at all?

If you have a spouse/significant other, are they deaf? A CODA? Or hearing?

If you want children, would you prefer they were hearing?

What would the responses be?

It's nearing thanksgiving, that only means one thing, final project is almost due.

My daughter's ASL teacher assigns a project every other week and the final (ASL 1) is to interpret, gloss and perform a song in ASL. From what I hear is pretty common so be prepared for all kinds of "help me gloss this" request come April or May.

I don't know why on earth the teachers have beginning students interpret songs.

Story telling is a much better demonstration of linguistic skills.

Language learning and interpreting are two different skill sets.

Most ITPs require an ASL fluency level 4 before even beginning the interpreting process.

Are language students in Spanish, Latin, Chinese, etc., expected to sing a song in their target language? I'm not talking about learning culturally relevant songs in their native language; I'm talking about taking an American English song and translating it in a linguistic and cultural way that makes sense. No one is singing "Born in the USA" in German or Italian.

In college, my very first sign language teacher <hearing> in Level 1 class gave us the "sign a song" assignment at the end of the semester. I was about 19 as were most of the students. The class was mostly just vocab and no Deaf cultural aspects at all. At that same time I was working for a summer recreational program focused on d/Deaf students and there were Deaf staff - including CODA program supervisor - at this rec. program. I learned much more with that than with the college class.

Since then all my local teachers have been Deaf:)

Back