G'Day, im New...

Lust2636

Reaction score
Just wanted to say hi... I can hear, my lil cuzin was born deaf (tho she can hear real high pitch in her right ear)... She got a Cochlear Brand CI about 3 months ago on the left side, and its been active about 2 months. Im here to make some friends, do some homework, and make sure she has the best of both worlds... as i truely beleive that Education is the key to bridge the gap.
I know theres a long standing debate on HA or CI vs non-use...
Soo, up front - i want her to sign, i want her to know, learn, and experience deaf culture.
Implants fail, get rejected... Batteries die... things happen... she might hit her teens and hate the thing and want to take it off... either path she chooses... She should have all the options available to her...
As shes only 3, going on 4... this choice was made for her.
But if it helps her *hear* someone behind her it might make her safer or more aware.
Many of us was brought up and told that a HA or CI will give a deaf person hearing, and it wasnt till recently that i learned its only 1/2 truth.
Sooo :) Anyone wanna teach me ASL? Shes already had part a school year of it, i have to keep up...
-Paulie

Hi back to you! ;):)

Find deaf community in your home area?

Good luck ;)

Back