Gasoline Prices Should Fall After Labor Day

rockin'robin

Reaction score
Demand Expected To Wane As Kids Go Back To School

Americans can expect gasoline prices to drop as school buses start rolling through neighborhoods across the country.

With most family vacations wrapping up and teen drivers back in classes, gasoline demand will wane and prices should fall after Labor Day. One expert says prices could drop as much as 15 cents a gallon.

The average retail price for a gallon of unleaded regular gasoline was $2.724 a gallon Friday, according to AAA, Wright Express and Oil Price Information Service. It has dropped about 4.6 cents in the past week but is still 10 cents more than it was a year ago.

Motorists on the West Coast are paying the highest amount, with the price averaging between $2.856 a gallon and $3.544 a gallon. The cheapest gas is in Texas, and parts of the South and the Midwest.

Over the next month, motorists could see prices fall 10 cents to 15 cents a gallon unless there's a sudden increase in oil prices and in investors' confidence in the global economy, predicted Tom Kloza, chief oil analyst at Oil Price Information Service. Oil prices have dropped about $7 per barrel over the past two weeks as economic data signal a slowing economic recovery.

"The question is whether (the price drop is) just sort of the hangover from the summer or whether it's the start of something that resembles a trend," Kloza said.

Prices already are falling in parts of the country. Kloza said he has seen prices between $2.25 a gallon and $2.50 a gallon in some areas of southern Missouri, Arkansas and South Carolina.

Even along the West Coast, where prices are among the highest in the country, Kloza suspects motorists could find gas below $3 a gallon in some areas.

Gasoline prices have remained steady for much of the summer even though demand picked up as more families hit the road for vacations after staying close to home last year.

In the past four weeks, gasoline demand rose 3.5 percent compared with the same period in 2009. At the same time, crude and wholesale gasoline prices have dropped.

Oil supplies are bulging, demand for overall energy products remains weak and consumers are conserving their cash as they worry about the slowing economy.

Oil prices fell a third consecutive day amid concerns about lagging economic growth. Benchmark crude for October delivery lost $1.20 to $73.56 a barrel in trading on the New York Mercantile Exchange. Slower economic growth is an indication that factories will need less energy and that companies will be reluctant to hire.

The retreat mirrored a pattern in the stock markets. The Dow Jones industrial average fell nearly 102 points in early trading, a day after falling 144. Broader indexes also fell moderately Friday.

Energy stocks were among the worst performers on the day, with oil companies ConocoPhillips and Marathon dropping more than 2 percent.

In other Nymex trading in September contracts, natural gas for September delivery fell 3.3 cents to $4.138 per 1,000 cubic feet; heating oil declined 2.82 cents to $1.9725 a gallon and gasoline lost 0.83 cents to $1.9204 a gallon.

Brent crude was down $1.17 at $74.42 a barrel on the ICE futures exchange.

Gasoline Prices Should Fall After Labor Day - Money News Story - WJXT Jacksonville

Wirelessly posted (Samsung Epix (i907))

Im glad that gas prices didn't get that expensive this summer. It pretty much stayed below 2.70 here..currently 2.59 for 89 octane.

Im glad that gas prices didn't get that expensive this summer. It pretty much stayed below 2.70 here..currently 2.59 for 89 octane.

Is there 87 octane which is more common? If so, I guess that grade would be less..., like 2.49.....

In Iowa, most of 89 octane is cheaper than 87 octane.

In Iowa, most of 89 octane is cheaper than 87 octane.

Oh wow, really? Do you know why that is? I know 89 probably burns hotter than 87 but......trying to guess why....farm equipment, weather, etc....

I think its because 89 octane has 10 percent blend of ethanol and 87 doesn't have that, plus its cleaner burning than 87 octane rating.

I think its because 89 octane has 10 percent blend of ethanol and 87 doesn't have that, plus its cleaner burning than 87 octane rating.

OIC, Seq; sounds good n' logical to me, thanks.

Oh wow, really? Do you know why that is? I know 89 probably burns hotter than 87 but......trying to guess why....farm equipment, weather, etc....

I believe farm equipment uses diesel :dunno:

89 octane is "finer" than 87.

the lower octane level is, the less amount of compression it is. that's why regular/slow cars use 87 octane.

sport car? well you know it's fast and powerful so that means high compression is needed.

I've got an issue with ethanol. Yes it is cleaner but it's wasteful because it's not efficient. It's a tough give-or-take.

the lower octane level is, the less amount of compression it is. that's why regular/slow cars use 87 octane.

sport car? well you know it's fast and powerful so that means high compression is needed.

Not all farm equipment. As for sports cars, etc, I am back to my original reaction: Iowa? And 89 costing more there than 87.

Not all farm equipment. As for sports cars, etc, I am back to my original reaction: Iowa? And 89 costing more there than 87.

89 costs less. It is with Ethanol. Iowa makes Ethanol. Therefore cheaper?

I am disappointed in my fellow Iowans for not knowing exactly why. Well, not my fellow Iowans anymore, I don't live there anymore. The reason it is cheaper is because Iowa gives a significant tax break to the gasoline that uses ethanol. The 87 octane in the state generally doesn't have ethanol.

Also - This kind of news is pretty old to me. Every year its the same thing... "oh, sales are projected to be higher on the 26th of December than the 25th..." kind of thing.

Not all farm equipment uses diesel. Altho they do use huge ol 460's as the powerhouse.

I know why lowa has lots of corn fields. enough to make ethanol.

Indeed. I enjoy fill E85 for my tundra at the cheap price. Gasoline Price is really cheap in here SD.

Your truck runs on E85, you sure that it is flexfuel engine? I haven't heard of Toyota, Honda or Subaru whatever running approved E85 or something. Most tend to be american like GM, Ford, etc.

I am disappointed in my fellow Iowans for not knowing exactly why. Well, not my fellow Iowans anymore, I don't live there anymore. The reason it is cheaper is because Iowa gives a significant tax break to the gasoline that uses ethanol. The 87 octane in the state generally doesn't have ethanol.

Also - This kind of news is pretty old to me. Every year its the same thing... "oh, sales are projected to be higher on the 26th of December than the 25th..." kind of thing.

See my post #11

Back