Gas - self or full service?

illustrator

Reaction score
Anyone who live in Orgeon state, they have interest law, you can't do on your own by pump the gas for your vehicale. The service will do it for you. Do you know other state that has simliar law?

Last edited:
That is same as in New Jersey. No self service at gas station at all.
I think only Oregon and New Jersey are the states to have that law.

Originally posted by illustrator
[B
Anyone who live in Orgeon state, they have interest law, you can't do on your own by pump the gas for your vehicale. The service will do it for you. Do you know other state that has simliar law? [/B]

yes i found out when i was out west and driving a friend's car thru Oregon with pals of mine were (now just 1) from WA state at the time and needed gas so i as usual did my routine -- pull in the gas station, pop open the gas door and get out the gas cap and proceeded to start filling up til the guy at the station said he can do it i said no im perfectly fine doing it myself as i knew how to gas up the car and a minor verbal argument started and my friends who were :zzz: at the time woke up and said no let HIM do it i was like :shock: NO i can do it just fine and stop at a specific price since i didnt trust service station attendants going OVER what i wanted to pay :roll: and found out it was the LAW i was like :wtf:

MY personal opinion qq i think Oregon should forget that law -- its a RIPOFF if u allow the station attendants to do it FOR YOU and they go OVER what u really want to pay for -- next time im there in Oregon -- im gonna do it again on my own :lol: i dont trust them sowwy -- if the Oregon State Troopers want to cite me for this misdemeanor offense so be it -- ill tell the Trooper that i do NOT trust the station attendant to do it and comply with my request to stop at (amount) and stop THERE not to go over that limit -- i dont give a crap if the trooper says i should trust the attendant cuz i sure wont!

Originally posted by kuifje75
That is same as in New Jersey. No self service at gas station at all.
I think only Oregon and New Jersey are the states to have that law.

how long was that law in effect qq cuz ive gassed up my car myself when i was in NJ back in 94 i think

It has been in effect all of my life, so as far as back as before 1975. You must have filled your car up illegally! lach...

Originally posted by Fly Free
yes i found out when i was out west and driving a friend's car thru Oregon with pals of mine were (now just 1) from WA state at the time and needed gas so i as usual did my routine -- pull in the gas station, pop open the gas door and get out the gas cap and proceeded to start filling up til the guy at the station said he can do it i said no im perfectly fine doing it myself as i knew how to gas up the car and a minor verbal argument started and my friends who were :zzz: at the time woke up and said no let HIM do it i was like :shock: NO i can do it just fine and stop at a specific price since i didnt trust service station attendants going OVER what i wanted to pay :roll: and found out it was the LAW i was like :wtf:

MY personal opinion qq i think Oregon should forget that law -- its a RIPOFF if u allow the station attendants to do it FOR YOU and they go OVER what u really want to pay for -- next time im there in Oregon -- im gonna do it again on my own :lol: i dont trust them sowwy -- if the Oregon State Troopers want to cite me for this misdemeanor offense so be it -- ill tell the Trooper that i do NOT trust the station attendant to do it and comply with my request to stop at (amount) and stop THERE not to go over that limit -- i dont give a crap if the trooper says i should trust the attendant cuz i sure wont!

reason why this certain state choice to become the law. It's because you know fellows are pump the gas then running away without pay. That's other reason why they don't trust anyone.

In Texas, they required to make pre-paid or use credit/check card before pumping the gas.

Mod's note: This gas topic was part of the Store thread, and it was going off topic, so I decided to split the thread into two and help keep it back on topic.

Illustrator: No... here is a weblink where you can check out the real reasons the New Jersey Assembly decided to ban self-service ages ago.

http://www.njleg.state.nj.us/2002/Bills/A2500/2126_I1.HTM

In brief:

a. fire hazards
b. cashier is unable to see self-servers
c. attendants helps to regulate the laws imposed by the state
d. higher insurance charges for self service stations (cos of thefts, etc)
e. exposure to gasoline hazardous, especially to pregnant women
f. higher prices for full service discriminates the poor ppl, forcing them to be exposed to hazardous fumes of gasoline

There are several more reasons.

Happy reading.

Illustrator: No... here is a weblink where you can check out the real reasons the New Jersey Assembly decided to ban self-service ages ago.

http://www.njleg.state.nj.us/2002/Bills/A2500/2126_I1.HTM

In brief:

a. fire hazards
b. cashier is unable to see self-servers
c. attendants helps to regulate the laws imposed by the state
d. higher insurance charges for self service stations (cos of thefts, etc)
e. exposure to gasoline hazardous, especially to pregnant women
f. higher prices for full service discriminates the poor ppl, forcing them to be exposed to hazardous fumes of gasoline

There are several more reasons.

Happy reading. [/B]

Great, that sure explain alot better. :thumb:

Also, I thought of Full-Service is like luxury which is cool. Of course, the staffs except for tips. :|

In Texas, i have seen a few gas station have their own servicer will do it. i wish in every gas station in every cities so i dont feel stress and i will hand them some tips.

uhmm interesting --

While i was on a road trip last summer and in several states u can go ahead and pump gas without PREpaying and they have security cameras everywhere -- and signs posted VERY clearly "if u pump and leave -- WE take ur drivers license and u can get up to 6 mos jail" something like that -- once when i had to get gas (sorry i dont remmy which state this occurred at) and saw that there were NO clerks around (around 11 or so pm) and right across the street was a state trooper -- some states have this system of after a certain time u prepay ONLY with credit card if u want to get gas and no clerk -- that was a BIG surprise to me and the first time ive ever seen a gas station with NO human clerk on duty just an officer that happened to be there at the time watching the station and the drivers at same time

here in the DC metro area -- we have self service pumps and full service pumps in some certain stations for those in need of assistance but gotta PRE pay first then the clerk opens the pump nbr u prepaid for and that works just fine

reason why this certain state choice to become the law. It's because you know fellows are pump the gas then running away without pay. That's other reason why they don't trust anyone.

In Texas, they required to make pre-paid or use credit/check card before pumping the gas.

yes Illustrator -- but the way i look at it -- it is ridiculous -- what if the attendants are SLOW/disinterested in their job/customer service or overwhelmed with so many customers lining up in the gas station for service qq and the customer is in a hurry -- wont be very good service

Kuifje has listed the few things already for the purposes of why NJ has full service stations -- theres always security cameras to see the person and their vehicle tag nbr so if they split can report to the cops and the cops can quite easily get the information off the MVA information -- if tag stolen fine use the person's picture to ID them then go from there -- if tag not stolen and does indeed belong with the person in question who was pumping gas then THAT person would be cited for gassing up and splitting

Originally posted by Fly Free
some states have this system of after a certain time u prepay ONLY with credit card if u want to get gas and no clerk -- that was a BIG surprise to me and the first time ive ever seen a gas station with NO human clerk on duty just an officer that happened to be there at the time watching the station and the drivers at same time

This reminds me of a funny time I had in Italy. It was late night, but a lot of service stations were open 24 hours. There is nobody there, not even the police. How it works?

You put in 10.000 lire note, or 50.000 lire note into the machine, and it will start pumping into your car. It was really strange to get used to this concept, but my friends said that it was common in Switzerland and Austria too. I think we should do more of that in the States, allowing ppl to put 10$ bills into the machine and start filling up.

Also, having attendants there also reduces the chance of ppl driving away without paying. In New Jersey, service stations are usually videotaped too, even if there are attendants on duty. Also, don't forget that New Jersey is the most densely populated state in the Union, with about 1,130 residents to per square mile. Even though NJ is a tiny state, we have over 8 million people living here. That is a lot of cars to deal with!

This reminds me of a funny time I had in Italy. It was late night, but a lot of service stations were open 24 hours. There is nobody there, not even the police. How it works?

You put in 10.000 lire note, or 50.000 lire note into the machine, and it will start pumping into your car. It was really strange to get used to this concept, but my friends said that it was common in Switzerland and Austria too. I think we should do more of that in the States, allowing ppl to put 10$ bills into the machine and start filling up.

Also, having attendants there also reduces the chance of ppl driving away without paying. In New Jersey, service stations are usually videotaped too, even if there are attendants on duty. Also, don't forget that New Jersey is the most densely populated state in the Union, with about 1,130 residents to per square mile. Even though NJ is a tiny state, we have over 8 million people living here. That is a lot of cars to deal with!

yes Kuifje -- i saw that sort of system at a service station Javapride stopped at in CA and i was like :shock: never saw that system before and i had thought that system has gotta be a great thing to humankind and gets ppl moving faster to handle the massive lines at service stations -- prepay there at booth and enter the pump nbr u wanna use was how it worked (if i remmy right -- if im mistaken Javapride can post her correction here for me LOL)

That probably applies to some areas and also after dark... but not all of them. I've gone to gas stations where they don't require payment beforehand.

Why do I have 2 feet for??? USE IT! Since most deaf can't hear so ignore the attedant and do it on your own... if they tries to do it themselves just tell them you can't hear and do it... I'll do anything to shut them up!

Originally posted by pimpdaddyposse
Why do I have 2 feet for??? USE IT! Since most deaf can't hear so ignore the attedant and do it on your own... if they tries to do it themselves just tell them you can't hear and do it... I'll do anything to shut them up!

:rofl: PDP -- id do that too!!!! tell them i cant hear them nor uddy what theyre saying and continue on with my business of gassing up the car and pay (if its gas then pay unless otherwise pre pay and gas) and drive off!! :lol:

Originally posted by vvti low rolla
i won't let them do gas for me. my car is painted in very special color.

yea vvti -- i dont blamecha -- some service attendents sure doesnt have respect for other ppl's property!! :roll:

Back