Garden Veggies/Fowers/Lawn?

Oh, that's sad, Stargazer Lilies!

I know another gardener who may have had the same experience. She spent the summers in a forest home and had a big garden there. Lyme disease made her quite ill for a year or so.

We have Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever here but, I guess, it is all across the US. Not common but there seem to be local reports on the illness every year.

I hope you can get back to gardening. I have Stargazers in my front yard.

Yeah - I compete with them too -- cant do a darn thing about deer. I used fishing line as a invisible fence and deere cant see it and they dont like the feel. I also plant stuff in onion family on outside of garden as a deterrent. The other small furry brats - I trap em and get rid of them when I can. it reduces the problem but doesnt get rid of it.

I told my husband about this and he will try the onion outer line next spring.

Our cat used to catch the rabbits, but he died of old age, and my poodle who died of a stroke used to chase the deer, but all our present dogs have better sense. :)

I love gardening when it's growing vegetables, but I hate mowing lawns. If I ever move anywhere with a lawn, I'll probably switch out the grass for camomile or something else fragrant that I won't need to mow! :P

As for what I *do* grow, I try to grow as much of my food as possible: Spuds, carrots, peas, onions, lettuce, pumpkins, tomatoes, aubergines, pak choi, kale, and as many herbs as will grow in the Irish climate!

My parents run a farm as hobby and I help if I'm around. We have almost everything that can handle the northeast climate: Apples, grapes, peaches, all assortments of vegetables, asparagus and a lot of corn. We had some difficulty with rabbits and other critters eating the plants and we finally put up an electric fence about 9 inches off the ground which seems to work. We have about 30 head of cattle, so most of our time goes to feed corn and baling hay though, not vegetables. We also make a fair amount of wine.

Back