Gally President Protests

angelstar819

Reaction score
i know this is kinda old news, but i can't believe this..protesting about the future gally president not having a hearing loss severe enough is dumb..i think the real issue behind this controversial issue is that these Deaf students of gally are discriminating against those who were raised oral like Fernandes..since she did not learn asl until her early 20s..plus she married a hearing guy..all of this are enraging the gally students..

it's obvious the gally students have no respect towards the little "d" deaf culture (oral and cochlear implants) and this is their reasoning for protesting.

if i attended gally today, i bet all these Deaf students would be making disgusted faces at me once they can see that i have a cochlear implant and can speak and listen...

why cant they just give fernandes a break and accept her for who she is and for her goals of making gally a better place? these students are way too biased and only care that she's "not deaf enough" to be president...

opinions anyone??

Actually, some Gally students have cochlear implants and wear them daily. For the record, Fernandes DOES NOT KNOW ASL. I have seen her sign, and it is nowhere close to ASL. It is obivously SEE or Sim Com (Simulateous Communication).
Also, the search process for finding a president seems flawed, and this has angered many students and faculty. There were canditates as qualifed as Fernandes, but Fernandes was bunched with 2 other less qualified canditates as the 3 finalists, and it seemed like a shoo in for Fernandes to become president.
It is a hot button issue among deaf people. I got into a slight argument with a member here on AIM today about it and it led to us no longer speaking to each other. I found it rather sad and childish, but I also learned more about that person I was chatting on AIM with.
I also am a returning student of Gallaudet (Sophomore) and I am not sure what is going to happen. I think it will be a challenge for me to keep my focus on school whilst the protests go on or there are demonstrations across campus.

Dr. Strangelove said:
Actually, some Gally students have cochlear implants and wear them daily. For the record, Fernandes DOES NOT KNOW ASL. I have seen her sign, and it is nowhere close to ASL. It is obivously SEE or Sim Com (Simulateous Communication).
Also, the search process for finding a president seems flawed, and this has angered many students and faculty. There were canditates as qualifed as Fernandes, but Fernandes was bunched with 2 other less qualified canditates as the 3 finalists, and it seemed like a shoo in for Fernandes to become president.
It is a hot button issue among deaf people. I got into a slight argument with a member here on AIM today about it and it led to us no longer speaking to each other. I found it rather sad and childish, but I also learned more about that person I was chatting on AIM with.
I also am a returning student of Gallaudet (Sophomore) and I am not sure what is going to happen. I think it will be a challenge for me to keep my focus on school whilst the protests go on or there are demonstrations across campus.

Too bad, she is the president of Gallaudet. Deal with it and move on. If you are not happy, don't attend that university. Who cares if she doesn't know ASL good enough. ASL is not the only language that is cherished in the deaf comunitty.

If ASL is not the only language that is cherished in the deaf community, I'd like to know what else is? English?
I am not letting my dislike for Fernandes get in the way of my education. I am not that feeble.

Dr. Strangelove said:
If ASL is not the only language that is cherished in the deaf community, I'd like to know what else is? English?
I am not letting my dislike for Fernandes get in the way of my education. I am not that feeble.

Uh oh, have you been to other countries. Don't they use ASL? Aren't you that limited to yourself with only one language (ASL)? Have you thought of British sign language, Swedish sign language, and others. And.. Who cares if it was sign Exact English. My opinion, no language is better than other. I view language as a useful tool for communication.

If you don't like her, too bad and deal with it. Honey, your life is not over yet just because she is a president at Gallaudet University. She is not here to be your mommy or friend. If she is suitable for that job, give her a chance to prove it. Be open minded about it and if she did a bad job. Complain about it after she has proven to be worthless.
:|

Honey? You crack me up. As you can see, I can use english. And pretty well. Fernandes already has messed up a few things. Her track record is not exactly stellar. It is not about Fernandes being my close companion, mommy or friend. It is about representing Galladuet. Your argument is baseless and I have lost interest in discussing with you, because it is blatantly obivous you have not done any background research on Fernandes. British sign language? Swedish? What are you smoking? It must be good stuff. News Flash: Gallaudet is an American university.
Bottom line: I am going back to school this fall. I in no way indicated that my life was over. Makes me wonder what exactly you were smoking..

http://alldeaf.com/showthread.php?t=27717 I am posting this link in case you or anyone else missed it. It is a lengthy thread and full of information and opinions regarding the JKF situation.
http://alldeaf.com/showthread.php?t=28283 Alex posted those and I missed it. I read them and they are a good laugh. Some of the comics are true, despite its comical feel, such as JKF walking by students and ignoring them and the first one where she is a darn robot repeating the same darn phrase over and over.
http://alldeaf.com/showthread.php?t=27715 <- Yet another thread to read for those who are interested.
I still am curious what you were smoking, Cane. :whistle:

The reason I called you "honey," it certainly gets your attention. :lol: I'm know it pisses you off more than it really is. I have seen those and it does not support your theory that Jane's a bad leader. You are simple not that open minded and not give her a chance to run the office as president yet. What if she did a darn good at her job and proved everyone wrong? What are you going to say then? If she runs the office sucks, you can complain. I respect your opinion more than if someone hasn't given her a chance to prove what she's capable of. No one asks you to like and support her. I think your opinion on her is obvious a bigot.

Calling me honey makes you sound sympatethic, and is an insult to my intelligence. Fernandes has made many decisons that are unpopular. She has a bad history of relations with parents. She got into a shouting match with some parents of Kendall Elementary kids about their education. She cut the media program at Gallaudet a few years ago, and since then Bison TV has had to vounteer everything and all their time to keep a student run tv show. It doesn't stop there with Fernandes. I suggest you do some more and thorough research on Fernandes before calling me a bigot.
I am willing to give her a chance, but I really do not expect much. I know for sure she will be the most unpopular president Gallaudet ever has had and maybe ever will have.
She held daily meetings with students in the HMB to try and resolve issues, but dropped them after a week and half. What does that say about her?
I witnessed her talking with the crowd of protesters, and their facial expressions which is fully ASL made her leave, and she remarked that she did not like facial expressions.
Also, she kept telling various media that the protest was because she was "not deaf enough" which is not true. It only shows she does not know what is going on, and apparently does not really care.

She's been chosen. Everyone else should learn to accept it and move on. :roll:

I know. Which is why I feel indifferent to the protests. It is an uphill battle up a seemingly endless hill for the protesters.

VamPyroX said:

Every time someone talks about this you post the same thing. (not exact words, but same message.) I just knew you were going to post it again here and you didn't disappoint. My question is: What is your interest in trying to stir up others against Deaf people?

VamPyroX said:

yes, i agreed.. she has special talents in other areas and career to run Gally.. she have degrees and experiences for that. not just only unskill ASL...

ASL, PSE, English or whatever.. Communications are all same..
dont like my ASL, tfb.
dont like my PSE, tfb.
dont like my english, tfb.........."but still yet communications still there" ..............no one is perfect but she have specialized in career and experiences.. give her a break..
never know.. she make Gally better college.. who knows..

dkf747 said:
Every time someone talks about this you post the same thing. (not exact words, but same message.) I just knew you were going to post it again here and you didn't disappoint. My question is: What is your interest in trying to stir up others against Deaf people?

he isnt stir up others against deaf people.. thats his simply words to say..
dont need get into details..

dkf747 said:

What make you think he is trying to "stir up" deaf people's problems at Gallaudet University? I don't think he gives shit about who is running the president at Gally. I don't either, but I do not think it is fair for anybody to judge someone based on their sign style or where did she/he grow up. This is called predjuice. It reminds me of Dr Vivien Thomas, a black man, who did not earn a lot of respect by many white people. He was not allowed to do surgery and everyone viewed him as loser. None of white people really realized that Viven Thomas was the one who discover a new method how to save blue babies. Dr Alfred Blalock had to depend on Viven Thomas how to show him the method of how to save the blue baby.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/amex/partners/legacy/l_colleagues_txt.html

I highly advise to watch this film called "Somethiing the Lord Made,"
http://www.hbo.com/films/stlm/shareyourstory/roger_s.html

Whether if it is in the deaf or hearing world. Actually, there are no two earthes, just one. We only have 1 world, not 2.

It is not ultimately about her sign skills. It is ultimately about her leadership skills and decisons throughout the past.
Her adequate signing skills shows her disinterest in the deaf community. She even ordered cofee at Gallaudet University's Starubucks WITHOUT signing. If you cannot comprehend the audism in that, God be with you.

Dr. Strangelove said:
It is not ultimately about her sign skills. It is ultimately about her leadership skills and decisons throughout the past.
Her adequate signing skills shows her disinterest in the deaf community. She even ordered cofee at Gallaudet University's Starubucks WITHOUT signing. If you cannot comprehend the audism in that, God be with you.

Unfortunately to let you know. God left me a long time ago. :whistle:

"For the record, Fernandes DOES NOT KNOW ASL. I have seen her sign, and it is nowhere close to ASL." Claimed by Dr Strangelove

Why did you say that? Doesn't that make you sound a bit hypocrite? :|

I am merely stating what I see, and she does not sign ASL. If she were to engage in a full blown ASL converstation, I am certain she would be lost. I believe I have stated that she did not like ASL and how the students used it when she met with the horde of students at the front gate. I imagine some students may have used fierce facial expressions, but that is A S L, expressing your feelings exactly as you see them without restraiint. Students tried to talk with her, but she still looked down at them, being "All high and mighty". Brian Morrison came up to the stage where she was, and asked her a question, and she refused to answer until Morrison stepped down from the stage and did that by pointing to the ground and insisting that Morrison step down. She cannot level with the students, or refuses to.
But you are right, it is not right to judge someone because they cannot sign well.
I would be the hypocrite if I were to say she signs ASL. She does sign, but not very well, and apparently prefers to speak. But if she does not sign ASL, how can she understand the deaf community at large? How?
I will admit, she is the perfect representative for Gallaudet when she talks with hearing people and gets their money, and I suspect that is one of the factors that went to the Board of Trustees selection of Dr. Fernandes as Gallaudet's 9th president.

Jesse Thomas stated in his blog that Fernandes ordered cofee by speaking her order at GU's Starbucks, and the worker had to ask her to sign. That is plain ignorant, but then again, I should give her the benefit of the doubt, she could have been "tired" or something and needed that cofee to perk up. She also has a reputation for walking around campus without really saying hi to people who say hi to her passing by. It is illustrated pretty well in the comics I linked to that Alex posted. Is this an act of snobbery?

Dr. Strangelove said:
I am merely stating what I see, and she does not sign ASL. If she were to engage in a full blown ASL converstation, I am certain she would be lost.

I don't care if she is going to lose it. Too bad for her then. My opinion, it is stupid to discriminate someone about what communicate tools is more effective for the whole deaf community at Gallaudet. Between Oral vs ASL vs Sign English vs Cued speech. Why don't we just let ourselves be comfortable with whatever communicate tools everyone is using? No one should be forced to sign ASL or speak all day long. If we are that open minded, we would have no problem with respecting others for using different styles of communications.This is how I view, and NOTHING will not change my opinion on that.

[/QUOTE] Students tried to talk with her, but she still looked down at them, being "All high and mighty". Brian Morrison came up to the stage where she was, and asked her a question, and she refused to answer until Morrison stepped down from the stage and did that by pointing to the ground and insisting that Morrison step down. She cannot level with the students, or refuses to. [/QUOTE]

This is her right not to answer any questions to anybody. If a cop has arrested and forced you to answer his questions, would you answer or wait until a lawyer came in?" This is a free country, people are allowed to ignore our questions whether we like it or not. Believe me I always get angry when no one answers my question, but I can not force someone to answer. It is our rights.

[/QUOTE]But you are right, it is not right to judge someone because they cannot sign well. [/QUOTE]

Yes, this is my major point about this agruement. I do not care much about Jane; however, I have zero torlerance for predjuice or comments like that. I stand up what I believe in and follow it. I don't play between two fences.

I do not tolerate when someone tries to exaggerate the story with lies or no obvious evidence to support their statements. A good example here, many deaf people I have met told me that CSDF is a very good school, but actually it was a lie. I found out that CSDF actually did poor on their CAHSEE examinations than CSDR did. Does this make CSDF a better school than CSDR? Nope. I do have a proof to support my claim. This is one example.
http://www.cde.ca.gov/ta/tg/hs/
You will have to dig up the information if you truly want to find out. If that was the truth or a lie, go look it up for yourself with your proving eyes.

[/QUOTE]I would be the hypocrite if I were to say she signs ASL. She does sign, but not very well, and apparently prefers to speak. But if she does not sign ASL, how can she understand the deaf community at large? How? [/QUOTE]

If she does not sign very good, thats fine. She can use interpreters to interept for her. I know many deaf people will not agree with me. There is absoutely nothing wrong with using interpreters, everyone orders stuffs and food on vp relay all the time. I think deaf people should be proud to repersent various kinds of people. There are many deaf people who come from different backgrounds, classes, and ethinics. Some grew up in residental schools, some went to oral school, and some were mainstreamed. Why not stand up and be united as only one group that repersents everyone? I do not think that should be a problem, but I can understand why deaf people will want a president who is "Deaf" and know ASL. This is showing that they only want one kind but not other kinds. Everyone should not focus on that.

"I will admit, she is the perfect representative for Gallaudet when she talks with hearing people and gets their money, and I suspect that is one of the factors that went to the Board of Trustees selection of Dr. Fernandes as Gallaudet's 9th president. "

Do you want to see Gallaudet University keep running or going downhill with no money to support the school? Yes I do believe that a qualify Deaf person who sign profoundly in ASL can run the school. Unfortunately BOT picked her, not the students. All I can say is too bad.

"Jesse Thomas stated in his blog that Fernandes ordered cofee by speaking her order at GU's Starbucks, and the worker had to ask her to sign. That is plain ignorant, but then again, I should give her the benefit of the doubt, she could have been "tired" or something and needed that cofee to perk up. She also has a reputation for walking around campus without really saying hi to people who say hi to her passing by. It is illustrated pretty well in the comics I linked to that Alex posted. Is this an act of snobbery?"

I do know who is Jesse Thomas and thats too bad for him. He can whine about it all day long in his Blog. Listen, everybody has an opinion about everyone. Let me ask you a question, what do you think of Brittany Spears? Do you like her? Do you like Jessica Simpson? What about her ex husband? Everyone has its opinions about those certain kinds of people. If your friend tells you that she does not like your friend; however, you have no problem with that same friend. Would you stop talking to that friend just because your other friend does not like her? It's lame, I'm sorry to say this actually. The problem lies between Jesse and Jane. Not lies between you and her. If you had a personal problem with her, that is your problem not everybody else's problem.

Response

As a student who went to Gally - I can understand the frustration of sign vs. non-sign. I was mainstreamed, went to Gally where I learned sign for the first time. There were those who looked down on me " you speak pidgen", or "english hearing" , yet when growning up, people would ask me "To speak English or correctly". I see it as a mirror image of each group hearing/deaf - they put someone else down, so hearing-impaired are stuck in the middle !!!! :dunno:

Back