Gallaudet Univ. President-Elect Draws Fire

Fernandes, 47, says she is caught in a cultural debate.
This is like discrimination. "She's not deaf enough. I don't want her."

Wait until the deaf students try getting a job in the future. If they came to me, I might say... "Oh yeah, weren't you at the Gallaudet JKF protest? You didn't want her cuz she wasn't 'deaf' enough? Well, what if I decide not to hire you cuz you're not 'hearing' enough?"
"There's a kind of perfect deaf person," said Fernandes, who described that as someone who is born deaf to deaf parents, who learns ASL at home, attends deaf schools, marries a deaf person and has deaf children. "People like that will remain the core of the university."
Geez... Deaf Pride? When are people going to learn to accept the fact that not everything has to be about Deaf Pride. I've seen students turned down by others because they don't fit the Deaf Pride profile. There was one guy who bluntly said to this gal, "I refuse to date you. You have hearing parents and aren't fluent in ASL." There was one gal who refused to date this guy, "I can't date you because you have hearing friends."
He (Jordan) contends that cochlear implants and other technology have changed deaf culture.
I agree. CI do not change people. People change people.

Kalista said:
wow there is heater debate about Treaure of Board and Gallaudet Students.

Their answers are very vaguely !!

http://bisontv.com/forum3.html

Thanks for that link I cannot even remember
what are their names (both man and woman who
answered questions to the audience ) ???

VamPyroX said:
There was one guy who bluntly said to this gal, "I refuse to date you. You have hearing parents and aren't fluent in ASL."

Are you serious? Are some deaf people really that anal?

I mean, you cant choose your parents. lol.

Vamp, You certainly have good valid points...

VamPyroX said:
This is like discrimination. "She's not deaf enough. I don't want her."

Wait until the deaf students try getting a job in the future. If they came to me, I might say... "Oh yeah, weren't you at the Gallaudet JKF protest? You didn't want her cuz she wasn't 'deaf' enough? Well, what if I decide not to hire you cuz you're not 'hearing' enough?"Geez... Deaf Pride? When are people going to learn to accept the fact that not everything has to be about Deaf Pride. I've seen students turned down by others because they don't fit the Deaf Pride profile. There was one guy who bluntly said to this gal, "I refuse to date you. You have hearing parents and aren't fluent in ASL." There was one gal who refused to date this guy, "I can't date you because you have hearing friends."I agree. CI do not change people. People change people.

hootster said:
Are you serious? Are some deaf people really that anal?

I mean, you cant choose your parents. lol.
Yep, it happens here. Pretty sad, eh?

One time, there was this cute gal I wanted to date. After months of trying, I gave up. Later, I found out that she went after some other guy because he had deaf parents. I have hearing parents. :(

VamPyroX said:
This is like discrimination. "She's not deaf enough. I don't want her." I've seen students turned down by others because they don't fit the Deaf Pride profile. There was one guy who bluntly said to this gal, "I refuse to date you. You have hearing parents and aren't fluent in ASL." There was one gal who refused to date this guy, "I can't date you because you have hearing friends."I agree. CI do not change people. People change people.
These are the deaf Audist's that I do believe exist.

If you meant the open forum last Friday night at Gallaudet, the man and woman were Tom Humphries and Celia May Baldwin. They had flown in from California prior to the open forum.

For more information about the protest at Gallaudet, check my blog at
http://www.xanga.com/lovemybostons.

Y said:
Thanks for that link I cannot even remember what are their names (both man and woman who answered questions to the audience ) ???

This is quite true.. Because I had people raggin on my back for marrying a hearing lady when I am from a deaf family.

Oh well life goes on!

And its true People change people - CI doesnt change people!

DefLord said:
This is quite true.. Because I had people raggin on my back for marrying a hearing lady when I am from a deaf family.

Oh well life goes on!

And its true People change people - CI doesnt change people!

raggin ??? like stab on ur back or negative behide your back ??

If this continue, then let's change the name
"Gallaudet University" to "Timberfest University"

Just to teach survival, where not to step over the
borderlines, how to respect, how to earn peace,
how to be more tactful, how to be financial independent,
How to CATCH or STOP Embezzlement (especially within
upper mgmt ) You Know Who...

OOPS !!!
Dear MOD... pls remove this posting i just submitted
this some one instead of editing..oops

VamPyroX said:

One time, there was this cute gal I wanted to date. After months of trying, I gave up. Later, I found out that she went after some other guy because he had deaf parents. I have hearing parents. :(

well, your ears and cock are Deaf. I did not understand why she does not accept for who are you. :dunno:

If this continue, then let's change the name
"Gallaudet University" to "Timberfest University"

Just to teach survival, where not to step over the
borderlines, how to respect, how to earn peace,
how to be more tactful, how to be financial independent,
How to CATCH or STOP Embezzlement (especially within
upper mgmt ) You Know Who...

I am Deaf, I am the only one who is hearing impaired in my WHOLE family. Yet I have been asked a few times if I was from a Deaf family. That alone tells me my ASL skills are above par. I will admit I will have second thoughts about dating a girl who is too oral, and not using signs enough. I can tolerate a SimCom or SEE signer if I feel it is worth it.
My biggest turnoff is smoking a cigarette. Doesn't matter how hot, or whatever, I get turned off big time by a cigarette smoker.
I agree, that the Board Of Trustees representatives gave vague answers. I honestly think the process should be re-opened. There is plenty of time. The only problem would be if Dr. Fernandes got picked again. The high likelhood of Fernandes getting picked again is probably why the BoT is refusing to re-open the process.

VamPyroX said:

Man, that sucks.

I had no idea it was that bad with some deaf people.

Nice to hear that those people are making the rest of us look bad. Jeez...

Back