Gallaudet U Open House

TrippyMoods22

Reaction score
I'm going to be at the Open House on the 13th! I'm eagerly anticipating it :D does anybody have input on what not to do/say, upon introduction to a D/deaf person?

Just be cool and yourself...
You will do fine

Yes just be yourself.
This is the best advice. Be true to who you really are. This is the best way to be happy inside. Don't try to be what you think other people want you to be. In the long run that will make you mistake and hate yourself. Been there, done that.
If you have career interests see if you can talk to a professor in that major while you are there.

I have been at GU since last night. Met some nice Deaf and Hoh people c: they were so patient with me. I am new to ASL, but with them, I felt like I was a part of the conversation. It was amazing. Quite unlike how hearies make me feel

I am never anything but myself :) I have walked as one beside who I am not. It is not the path i want

That's great. Nobody knows who stole a lot of desserts at the Open House. That might be you. LOL.

I have been at GU since last night. Met some nice Deaf and Hoh people c: they were so patient with me. I am new to ASL, but with them, I felt like I was a part of the conversation. It was amazing. Quite unlike how hearies make me feel
Welcome to the Deaf world. This is part of our culture. It's accepting and understanding. Many you met may have similar experiences as you where you only it or not. We know how it feels to be left out of conversation. It is a big party of how and why some key characteristics of our culture formed the way they did. It's something hearing people will never truely understand. Once you are immersed with an ASL rich environment, you will pick it up like a sponge

Welcome to the Deaf world. This is part of our culture. It's accepting and understanding. Many you met may have similar experiences as you where you only it or not. We know how it feels to be left out of conversation. It is a big party of how and why some key characteristics of our culture formed the way they did. It's something hearing people will never truely understand. Once you are immersed with an ASL rich environment, you will pick it up like a sponge

I picked up on that, right away. I met a lovely HoH girl, and enjoyed the time I spent with her, but found out that even Hoh people can be annoying. (Not her. Another girl who joined later in the day). I separated myself from the group because I was feeling extremely excluded, and explained to the first girl, when I caught up with her later, but not the second. The second seemed only to care about the sound of her own voice. *gesture of distaste* she also appeared to me to be trying to keep the first girl as interested as possible.. Because of her, I wasn't able to get much out of the first girl after the arrival of the second. Met many other people, too many to remember all of their names. Lol but I couldn't stop thinking of the first girl.. I wish at times like this, that it weren't so easy for me to invest myself in someone. :( now, I feel all alone, again. I don't want to leave Gally.. I want to stay here, forever.

Yeesh, sorry! I went off track lol. Webexplorer, I would be more likely to steal some guy's girlfriend, than dessert (; jk, I don't like coming between people. And southpaw, I am dreading my return to the hearing community.. I'm at the verge of tears, thinking of returning to my dreary existence as a rock in the river..(metaphor)

You will have to give a presentation in every class at end of the semester. I hope you are fluent in ASL by then. I hate presentations! Good luck!

I'm going to be at the Open House on the 13th! I'm eagerly anticipating it :D does anybody have input on what not to do/say, upon introduction to a D/deaf person?

Did you have a good time there? So they were giving out presentations. You did not like them. What had happened over there? :hmm:

I loved it!! I spent all of my spare time mingling and striking up conversation with as many people as I could. It was so cool! I learned so much thru immersion at GU! :D I wish the HoH girl I met had been interested in a LDR.. I enjoyed her company so much. I miss GU and the acceptance I felt. Granted, I ditched anybody I didn't feel welcome around. But overall, I had a great time. As for presentations, they were good. The alumni and staff just talk wayyyy too much.

I loved it!! I spent all of my spare time mingling and striking up conversation with as many people as I could. It was so cool! I learned so much thru immersion at GU! :D I wish the HoH girl I met had been interested in a LDR.. I enjoyed her company so much. I miss GU and the acceptance I felt. Granted, I ditched anybody I didn't feel welcome around. But overall, I had a great time. As for presentations, they were good. The alumni and staff just talk wayyyy too much.
Well, are you going to keep in touch with the HoH girl? :aw:

Nah.. She lives in MI, and despite her friendliness, i could tell that she wasn't interested in keeping touch. Plus, I'd much rather talk to someone who lives closer. I have had enough long-distance relationships to know that they are not for me. :)

What is LDR?

Back