Gallaudet Protests

Found this on Gallynet

Let the fireworks begin! It all begins with this shock and awe from Gally.

Happy 4th! I wont be back online until the 5th.

---------------------------------------------------

June 28, 2006
Memorandum

TO: The Campus Community

SUBJECT: Guidelines for Expressive Activities and Assemblies

Following is a document that presents guidelines for expressive activities and assemblies which was developed at my request by the Crisis Management Team. The document begins with a review of information currently included in the Student Handbook and the Administration and Operations Manual, describes a plan to establish a committee to develop a policy addressing expression on campus and lists guidelines we will have in place until a policy is approved by the Board.

At the beginning of the fall semester, I will be in touch again with more information about the committee.

Gallaudet University Guidelines for

Expressive Activities and Assemblies

Introduction

Gallaudet University, as a private university, recognizes and supports its community’s desire and efforts in the exchange of ideas, assembly, and speech-making on campus. As stated in the Gallaudet Vision Statement, the University, in valuing freedom of expression, views our entire community as a forum for the exchange of ideas and scholarly debate; respect for all will be a hallmark of everything we do. This is further reinforced in the Gallaudet Credo Statement, which says that every person should be treated with civility and that our community is strengthened by the broad diversity of its members

Nonetheless, during both semesters in the 2005-2006 academic year, some members of the University community did, on occasion, exceed the boundaries of appropriate expression by engaging in behavior that infringed on the rights of the University to conduct normal business and/or on the rights of other members of the community. The University has an obligation to maintain conditions under which our primary educational purpose may go forward freely without disruption. The Gallaudet University Code of Conduct defines disruption of University academic or non-academic activities as an action that “disrupts the normal operations of the University and infringes on the rights of other members of the University community, leading or inciting others to disrupt scheduled and/or normal activities within any campus building or area, and intentional obstruction that unreasonably interferes with freedom of movement, either pedestrian or vehicular, on campus†(2005-06 Student Handbook, page 11). In addition, the Administration and Operations (A&O) Manual Policy 1.01 (Standards of Conduct) states that “the expression of dissent and attempt to produce change may not be carried out in ways that injure individuals, damage institutional facilities or property, impede the functioning of programs and services, or evidence a complete disregard for authority and direction.†(A&O Policy, 1.01)

It is therefore desirable to remind members of our community of the manner in which they may engage in such expression at Gallaudet and ensure that expressive activity is conducted on the grounds of the University in a way that demonstrates civility and respect for others, respect for University property, and respect for the right of the University to continue its normal operations, including classes and business activities.

It is in the University community’s best interest to develop a University policy addressing expression on campus that reaffirms the University’s and the community’s values related to freedom of expression. The policy will govern activities related to the use of facilities, the manner of expression that is permitted, and the manner that is prohibited. Similar policies with “time, manner and/or place†regulations exist at many institutions of higher education. A committee consisting of appropriate representatives will be established at the beginning of the fall semester and will be charged with the development of this policy.

The following guidelines are being established on an interim basis to ensure the orderly functioning of the University and its members until the new policy is in place and approved. They do not repeat or replace existing policies or guidelines related to the scheduling of events, use of University facilities, or appropriate behavior as described in the Student Code of Conduct and Administrations and Operations Manual; rather, the interim guidelines augment and clarify existing policies to preserve important values and interests of the University community.

Gallaudet University Guidelines for Expressive Activities and Assemblies

1) All demonstrations, marches, rallies or peaceful assemblies on campus must be registered[*]* with the appropriate unit responsible for the location requested (Registrar’s Office, Campus Activities, Business Services, etc.) at least 2 business days in advance of the activity. This helps ensure that the organization has appropriate resources for its activity. In addition, advance notice ensures that there are no conflicts with other events at the same location, ensures that the sponsor of the activity will accept all responsibilities pertaining to sponsoring and supervising the event, and ensures that reasonable steps are taken to ensure that the use of scheduled facilities complies with all applicable policies and regulations. It also ensures that public area activities do not impede pedestrian or vehicular ingress to or egress from campus, and it ensures that the size and nature of the event are appropriate for the location.

2) Structures created for the purpose of free expression, other than those created by the University itself, may not remain on University property for an extended period of time. Temporary or symbolic structures, such as booths, tents, canopies, or similar objects or enclosures, may be placed on University property and may remain temporarily on campus, but they must be taken down and removed daily by a specific time, and the area removed of all debris and trash. The administration’s actions toward the structures will be guided by attention to the following, or similar, kinds of campus community interests that structures could infringe upon:

* Protecting health and safety;
* Preventing damage or risk of damage to University property;
* Preserving unimpeded mobility on pathways and streets, entrance to and departure from buildings, and unimpeded mobility within buildings;
* Providing for competing uses of campus grounds;
* Avoiding interference with other University activities;
* Reasonably limiting costs to the University of increased Department of Public Safety protection, potential University liability, insurance coverage, and cleanup and repair after an event.

Limits on the duration, size, and location of structures or symbolic structures may also be based legitimately upon the desire to preserve campus aesthetic values.

3) The sponsoring organization/department must obtain a Structure Scheduling Form from Business Services and obtain approval prior to the erection of such structures. The sponsoring organization/department will be required to sign the agreement on the form pertaining to all responsibilities associated with the temporary structure, including the removal of such structure, and acceptance of responsibility for any injuries to persons or property caused by the temporary structure. The University reserves the right to deny a request to establish a structure and to request the removal of temporary structures that may be an unreasonable safety hazard or inflict unreasonable damage to landscaping.

4) Overnight camping is not allowed on University property. The use of any part of the campus for living accommodation purposes such as overnight sleeping (including the laying down of bedding for the purpose of sleeping), making a fire, or carrying on cooking activities is prohibited. The use of any tents, motor vehicles or other structures for sleeping is also prohibited.

5) Signs, posters, banners, and other materials may not be affixed to the interior or exterior of any University structure without permission from the appropriate facilities person or person with authority to grant such permission. Unauthorized postings, etc. will be removed and discarded by the University.

6) In furtherance of the educational, research, service, and other legitimate functions of the University, no part of the campus is generally available for organized activities after 11 p.m. and before 7 a.m. except for official University activities or organization activities with prior authorization.

7) During the calendar year noise or amplified music must be maintained at acceptable levels to avoid interference with classes or other University activities. In compliance with D.C. ordinances, noise must be kept at reasonable levels after 11 p.m. This allows for the usual and customary campus events to take place and at the same time supports the academic mission of the University, the University’s intent to be a good neighbor with the surrounding D.C. community, and it observes applicable D.C. ordinances related to noise.

The University will take action through appropriate internal and/or external procedures against violators of these guidelines as well as other existing University policies and regulations. Actions taken may include the denial of approval of future requests for permission to use University property by the sponsoring organization/department. Any sponsoring organization or individual may be subject to all applicable sanctions for violations of these guidelines or other policies, rules, or regulations of the University.

[*] It is understood that spontaneous demonstrations, meetings, and assemblies sometimes may occur. Any planned or spontaneous demonstrations, meetings, or assemblies may be conducted in appropriate areas of the campus with the understanding that they are conducted in a lawful and orderly manner; do not restrict vehicular or pedestrian traffic; do not interfere with classes, other scheduled meetings, events, and ceremonies or with other educational processes of the University; and are conducted with specific authorization when held in University buildings, residential areas, or other areas available by reservation only. The event must have an identified contact person responsible for the activity, and the organizer must be a member of the University community (faculty, staff, or student). The University will recommend an alternative location, date, and/or time if conflicts are present.

Dr. Fernandes support CI? She want deaf people to get CI... then hell no...

Now, I hate Dr. Fernandes, she seems full of crap and probably not good president. Deaf people need have election to choose president what they want too.

Deaf culture (Deaf Nationalist)
-Must full know about ASL
-Not support to get CI (or quit to wear CI)
-Must know about deaf history
-Must demands on social with deaf people except for job
-Allow to wear regular HA
-Must have deaf wife or deaf husband, or even deaf gay/lesbian friends.
-Must fully honor with deaf culture
-Demands on interpreters
-Demands on parties with deaf group
-Events with deaf people, such as in Six Flags and Disneyland

I hope Dr. Fernandes would drop out her new job then replaces new president that who fully know about deaf culture, also must fully know about ASL. Well, I don't follow 100% deaf culture, just like 80% are follow with deaf culture.

volcomskatz said:

Now, I hate Dr. Fernandes, she seems full of crap and probably not good president. Deaf people need have election to choose president what they want too.

-Demands on interpreters

I hope Dr. Fernandes would drop out her new job then replaces new president that who fully know about deaf culture, also must fully know about ASL. Well, I don't follow 100% deaf culture, just like 80% are follow with deaf culture.
Those are pretty harsh requests for a deaf president. :Ohno:

VamPyroX said:
Those are pretty harsh requests for a deaf president. :Ohno:

Ya know that LAUSD* isn't great school, it got bad since 1970's after state law passed to remove taxes from parent that paid children for go to school and funds are poor, increasing more violation, such as fighting, stealing, disrespect and other violate their policies, become more overcrowded, no time for to get lunch and increasing more immigrants from Latin America. LAUSD has been start improving in education in late 90's since our vote was passed and federal gave LAUSD about $40 billion to build new schools, improving education, purchase new textbooks and something. Thanks to god that LAUSD removes uniform infested from some middle school but all elementary and high school don't have uniform policies though, most of people are opposed with it.

Honestly, I want go to Gallaudet and take Art Major, including web design, graphic design and something because it's too easier for me to get stand with courses. I had noticed NTID, or RIT are too hard for students that who grew at deaf school, or special education, or bilingual education or moderate/bad school system. Heath is going to NTID, or RIT then I hate him, also I don't want see him though.

*LAUSD-Los Angeles Unified School District

IKJ said:
It is in the University community’s best interest to develop a University policy addressing expression on campus that reaffirms the University’s and the community’s values related to freedom of expression.
Talk about using a bazooka to down a gnat. :) I guess if the policy works out for Gallaudet, more power to them.

Deaf Images said:
"You have to be Deaf to understand that!"

:whistle:

For some maybe. I am hearie, and understand completly. It is about Deaf making sure that Deaf are taken care of. It is about allowing Deaf to do for Deaf. Deaf sick and tired of hearing dictating what is best for them or what their needs are. Deaf are capable of doing that for themselves, so allow them to do it.

The irony is when you have college for the Deaf, but have hearing people to administrate. For the Deaf, then should be by the Deaf. If I go to Gally as a hearing person, I not expect hearing environment. I expect Deaf environment that will teach me about Deaf. Hearing administration means that I get the same as anywhere else--Deafness as seen by hearing world.

volcomskatz said:

-Demands on interpreters

So... Does this mean that all deaf people who don't have a deaf spouse, don't use "proper" ASL and have implants should be kicked out of Gallaudet?

ayala920 said:
So... Does this mean that all deaf people who don't have a deaf spouse, don't use "proper" ASL and have implants should be kicked out of Gallaudet?

Maybe should re-read post. Doesn't say that at all. :ugh3:

jillio said:
Maybe should re-read post. Doesn't say that at all. :ugh3:

I'm aware it doesn't say that. However, those are the proposed requirements for a deaf president who should, by default, be like his/her students.

ayala920 said:

Not really, It was my views...

I'm back already! Construction went days faster than expected!

I have a lovely weekend now!

People have to pay attention to whats going on atNAD now cause I'm picking up additional fireworks.

Richard

Back