Gallaudet protests 2006?

blank canvas

Reaction score
Not sure where to put this but if I chose wrong could a mod move it please :)

Ok so I am studying for my test and basically I am now questioning what I was taught in class...

My teacher says that the protests at Gallaudet in 2006 over Fernandez being selected as president by the board were fueled by the fact that she was 'not Deaf enough' But after reading comments in articles from the protesters that doesn't seem to be the reason.

Yes I realize we are referring to the culutural definition, but it just doesn't seem that cut and dry, so I was looking for input

I am pretty sure that she was not "deaf enough" and that was the main reason. She learned ASL much later on in her life and couldn't quite sign very fluently when she was asked to consider the position.

The Deaf students felt that they wanted someone who has been deaf their entire lifetime, be fully immersed in the deaf culture and community, and truly understands what it's like to be deaf. Also, they wanted to keep their promise true to the famous protest in 1988 for Deaf President Now. They didn't want to see all of their hard earned success be futile.

I was attending RIT at that time during the protest so I don't really know ALL of the deeper details although NTID supported the protest.

Also they objected to her management style in the admin. Also I believe there were occurrences of Audism under her leadership.

But it's probably not politically correct of me as a Australian to comment on this. I recall being glued to the internet everyday during the protest.

As a Canadian recall a few items of the Deaf protest of 1988 at Gallaudet,
If anyone is interested read Oliver Sacks book: Seeing Voices, University of California Press 1988. Chapter 3 pages 124-159.

Implanted Advanced Bionics-Harmony activated Aug/07

Yo Blank Canvas --

Without clicking play do you recognize this person? He pretty much was the "leader" of the protest.
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cljedp_dK3Q]YouTube - Gallaudet Univ. Students Protest[/ame]

The "not Deaf enough" was thrown in by Fernandes herself because she needed something to discredit the protesters.

The truth is there was many things that Fernandes did that were in question. One being that she did not write a dissertation, and she "got her way through" the tenancy process (the latter I'm not exactly sure on.) The others being that she was indifferent to the community, etc. I am not sure of all the details but hey, I could hook you up with the best source of information. :D

As a Canadian recall a few items of the Deaf protest of 1988 at Gallaudet,
If anyone is interested read Oliver Sacks book: Seeing Voices, University of California Press 1988. Chapter 3 pages 124-159.

Implanted Advanced Bionics-Harmony activated Aug/07
We're talking about the 2006 protest. :roll:

Yo Blank Canvas --

Without clicking play do you recognize this person? He pretty much was the "leader" of the protest.
YouTube - Gallaudet Univ. Students Protest

The "not Deaf enough" was thrown in by Fernandes herself because she needed something to discredit the protesters.

The truth is there was many things that Fernandes did that were in question. One being that she did not write a dissertation, and she "got her way through" the tenancy process (the latter I'm not exactly sure on.) The others being that she was indifferent to the community, etc. I am not sure of all the details but hey, I could hook you up with the best source of information. :D
Thank you for correcting the false information. Several of my friends were involved with the protest and the "not deaf enough" was never the issue
The media twisted that way out of control.

Thank you for correcting the false information. Several of my friends were involved with the protest and the "not deaf enough" was never the issue

Oh, yes media did that big time. I remember asking people about the protests and my questioning of people who were there revealed there were deeper issues regarding JKF and that she managed to alienate the majority of people with her management style and it came back to her big time.

Actually the PR at gally threw "Not deaf enough" at mainstreaming media so they hoped to use those naive and/ignorant people as an advantage to turn against the protestors.

The main reasons why the students/staff/faculty members protested were Management By Intimidation (MBI) practices by the King Jordan administration and inefficient management and leadership by Janet Fernandes as Provost.

One of my college friends will NEVER forgive her for what she did to him and his fellow workers whom he supervised in aftermath of the 2003 or 2004 murder on Gally campus.

There are many stories about what she did to Gally faculty/staff members and students and all these stories were actually awful.

Actually the PR at gally threw "Not deaf enough" at mainstreaming media so they hoped to use those naive and/ignorant people as an advantage to turn against the protestors.

The main reasons why the students/staff/faculty members protested were Management By Intimidation (MBI) practices by the King Jordan administration and inefficient management and leadership by Janet Fernandes as Provost.

One of my college friends will NEVER forgive her for what she did to him and his fellow workers whom he supervised in aftermath of the 2003 or 2004 murder on Gally campus.

There are many stories about what she did to Gally faculty/staff members and students and all these stories were actually awful.
Thought it happened in 2000? I'm referring to Joseph Mesa's victims.

Wirelessly posted

I still remember a few of my good friends were arrested and went to jail for that place.

Yeah, the "not deaf enough" cry was just a red herring.

Thank you everyone! And I did email the man PFH showed in the video.... anxiously awaiting his response :D

Mine too. =)

The truth is there was many things that Fernandes did that were in question. One being that she did not write a dissertation, and she "got her way through" the tenancy process (the latter I'm not exactly sure on.) The others being that she was indifferent to the communi
Yes, dead on. And it's a VERY red herring b/c virtually ALL dhh of her generation were orally educated.

Yeah, the "not deaf enough" cry was just a red herring.

Did everyone who engaged in the protest agree that the reason for the protest was inefficient management/bad management style by Fernandes? I am wondering if some deaf people joined the protest because they believed what the media said.

Well I'm pretty sure it was the correct answer on my test.... but after actually reading into it I didn't get the feeling that was the case

It was the correct answer.....:shock: goes to show ya......

Back