G20 protest and Deaf discrimination

JennyB

Reaction score
Hi all,

I apologize if this is a re-post.

On June 25th, 2010, a Deaf man named Emomotimi Azorbo was arrested at a G20 protest here in Toronto. He was an observer, and not involved in the protest. He was walking across the street to buy a bottle of water and was told to stop by the police, and he did not hear the command. He was then tackled to the ground and arrested. His friends were trying to tell the police he is Deaf, but this was ignored.

He was brought to a special G20 detention centre, where he was then held overnight without access to qualified interpreters. The police only provided a "member interpreter" meaning a police officer without any official training and only minimal fluency in ASL. The arrest happened around 4:30pm and it was not until the next morning at 9:00am that qualified interpreters were allowed into the facility.

All night protesters stayed outside the facility, calling for police to allow an interpreter in. There was an interpreter involved in the protest willing to provide services to allow for an interview. Ontario Interpreting Services had interpreters ready to provide services for this exact situation and this was denied.

At 2pm today I went to the bail hearing where the charges were described as three counts of assaulting a police officer and 1 count of resisting arrest. He was released on bail, with restrictions included not being allowed to enter the downtown core the remainder of the G20 summit.

This evening, I went downtown to go to a Deaf social happening. I live very close to the protests happing right now. I got to Queens park and Wellesley. There were people moving freely all through the park. At Queens park and Wellesley there was a line of police. There were people on the other side of the line of police and all I wanted to do was go east on Wellesley. I typed out "I am going East on Wellesley to a social held by the Ontario Rainbow Alliance of the Deaf. Can I do this?" I had ID out.

I approached them and they refused to read it. I started signing what I had written and gesturing that I'm Deaf. They pointed away from them and one of them said very clearly "she's playing the sign language game. She can hear. Don't play into it".

I grew up oral and I'm a good lip reader and I caught it all. Hearing people were asking questions and getting answers. I was not a protestor, at that time, I was just going downtown.

There is blatent disregard for human rights and obviouse audim happening within the justice system. Where are our rights?

I understand your frustrations about many restrictions in Toronto. I feel that you could have stay home until the leaders have gone back home after the G8 and G20 summits are over. There have been lots of problems for the last few weeks with mostly hearing people. I am shock what the police are doing having no regard with deaf people like us who are bystanders or want to walk downtown to go somewhere for social events or visit someone. Yes, audism is still alive and nothing has been change. Every police officer at the summits think we are some kind of terrorists to them and they are threatened by us. It is a very sad way to put up the fences and tell us what they want us to follow their rules before the leaders came to Toronto for the meetings. Most of the hearing people are not happy with that and the police are not doing a very good job at it. That is my opinion. I feel for you, JennyB. :sadwave:

I am not going to lie - I have been protesting. I have been peaceful though and not rioting.

Oh, JennyB. That is what the problem is when police are not sure what the protesters are up to, even if you are peaceful and not doing the riot. But still if you or the other deaf person are bystanders and not involve with protesting and rioting at all, then there is a mess of what is happening to you or the deaf person. Well, we all have to go through this crisis no matter how frustrating this incidents happen. :ugh:

I remembered when my mother took me to protest something which I could not remember back then in St. Paul, Minnesota in front of the capital. She was worried that something might happen to me if we were seen protesting by the police but so far at the time nothing happen to us as we were protesting peacefully and were lucky not going to jail or got hurt. :D

But this is different now that it is 2010 and there has been terrorism in United States and here in Canada, too. That is reason why the police are so nervous and fear the protesters are trying to start a violence. That is a concern for all of you not to get hurt or go to jail. :(

Sorry to hear your situation and that deaf man; that is why I'd rather live in the small to medium towns than the big cities like Austin or San Antonio, so, that I probably won't have to deal with the police whenever there's a riot or violence protest in the big cities, in my opinion.

Sad fact that our human rights are being disregarded more often nowadays due to terrorism etc.

Today I was surrounded by police, no where near a protest, and told to consent to a bag search. I said no. They said either I had to consent or I would be detained. How is this consent? Consent means agreeably allowing something to happen. I have no choice either I say yes or they arrest me and search it anyway.

Back