Future CI (Just imagining what they'll be like in the future

"Worked on most who have tried it?" Exactly how many are there that have tried it? Can you point to one single clinical trial that has been completed? How do you know that it doesn't destroy residual hearing? The clinical trials and longitudinal studies necessary to determine that have not even been completed. How do you know that it will be available as a treatment for hearing loss in 15 years?

I know that sometimes we fight Jillio, but thank you for injecting some sanity into this stupid, repetative unrealistic discussion.

Michael J. Fox himself was on Oprah last night talking about stem cells with Dr. Oz. Dr. Oz said, and I quote "We have made 10 years' worth of advancements in stem cells over the past year." and "stem cell treatments for a variety of conditions are single-digit years away. Not decades away." This is including hearing loss. I'm an optimist rather than a pessimist - and I would wholeheartedly believe a medical doctor myself.

How did they do 10 years worth of work in a year. If it was done in a year, that would make it 1 year's worth of work...

Have fun with another 2-5 years of speech therapies!

IF their brain can even tolerate it! There is no "taking off" stem cells. What if it works perfectly and their brains can't handle that much sound and stimulation? They are screwed!!!

faire_jour:
How did they do 10 years worth of work in a year. If it was done in a year, that would make it 1 year's worth of work...

Not necessarily. Motivation + lifting of restrictions = exponential increase in work output. Ergo, M + LR = EWO. Haven't you ever had extra motivation at work and had significantly more progress in your work compared to previous years? Same here - why just this past month at work I single handedly performed the work of my entire department (I do creative computer work) in less than a month and got them caught up on all work issues - about 150 - (which would have taken them 3-5 months or more to do individually). I have business experience with this specific formula.

Motivation + lifting of restrictions will do wonders for work output.

Not necessarily. Motivation + lifting of restrictions = exponential increase in work output. Ergo, M + LR = EWO. Haven't you ever had extra motivation at work and had significantly more progress in your work compared to previous years? Same here - why just this past month at work I single handedly performed the work of my entire department (I do creative computer work) in less than a month and got them caught up on all work issues - about 150 - (which would have taken them 3-5 months or more to do individually). I have business experience with this specific formula.

Sorry, in science it does not work this way.
Do you have funding? You can get results.
Don't you have funding? Look for it.

Results are increasing when more money is put in the field, period.

IF their brain can even tolerate it! There is no "taking off" stem cells. What if it works perfectly and their brains can't handle that much sound and stimulation? They are screwed!!!

Exactly. I means, it would be nice to hear better, but at this point in my life-- I don't want any more rehabs. I am sick of speech therapies and trying to be "normal" (according to the mainstream's definition.) So getting stem-cells would means more rehabs.

Maybe if I lose the hearing I do have, or go blind completely, then I will accept rehab in order to learn the new world around me. However if it's not broken, don't fix it!

I means, what is done is done. You know? I could care less about what treatments children get, if it is not undermining anyone, as long they get the proper socialization.

I know that sometimes we fight Jillio, but thank you for injecting some sanity into this stupid, repetative unrealistic discussion.

You are quite welcome, faire jour. It is really getting ridiculous.

I don't see a difference of opinion as a reason to hold a grudge. We can agree in some areas and disagree in others.;)

You still cannot complete 10 years worth of research in 1 year. Longitudinal factors. Statements like, "We have made 10 years worth of advancements in 1 year" simply means that the research is moving along, and that is a way to quatify it. It is not to be taken literally.

I think we can interpret it as if we have 1 researcher doing the work in 10 years, when we can have 10 researchers it is possible to do it in 1 year.
In other words, if this kind of research sees an increase of funding from either public institutions and private foundations, it simply accellerates. Very basic. And this is why they are constantly pushing on that: more attention from public, more money, faster results, bigger business at the end.

I think we can interpret it as if we have 1 researcher doing the work in 10 years, when we can have 10 researchers it is possible to do it in 1 year.
In other words, if this kind of research sees an increase of funding from either public institutions and private foundations, it simply accellerates. Very basic. And this is why they are constantly pushing on that: more attention from public, more money, faster results, bigger business at the end.

There you go.

Back