Funniest thing an uneducated person has said to you?

"mumbles something"
Me: "Pardon?"
*Annoyed*: "mumbles again"
Me: "Sorry, one more time?"
Angrily "What are you deaf or something?!?"
Me: "Actually, yes I am" (Shows HAs)
*Shamefaced* ".......Oh, sorry"

This has happened on numerous occasions, and it cracks me up everytime because the person is usually really rude about it until I say that.

And of course I get the people who start yelling and/or exaggerating their lips, so I can't understand them so I tell them again and again just talk normally and look at me, I can "speech read" not "dumbass read".

Off topic: I went to a hearing school and always dreaded playing "Telephone" because the kids were trying so hard to whisper and would end up just blowing air into my HA mic, oddly enough I was never allowed to sit out on the game.....
That actually happened to me when I took a phone call while working.

I was working at a local video rental store and took a call from a customer. When I picked up the phone, this woman started talking really fast that it sounded almost like gibberish. When she stopped, I asked her to repeat again. She yelled, "What are you... DEAF OR WHAT!?" I calmly replied, "Yes ma'am, I am." Her response? *gulps* "Oh, sorry." and hung up. Hehehe!

That actually happened to me when I took a phone call while working.

I was working at a local video rental store and took a call from a customer. When I picked up the phone, this woman started talking really fast that it sounded almost like gibberish. When she stopped, I asked her to repeat again. She yelled, "What are you... DEAF OR WHAT!?" I calmly replied, "Yes ma'am, I am." Her response? *gulps* "Oh, sorry." and hung up. Hehehe!

:laugh2:

Back in my hearing aid days I had something similar happen to me while at the grocery store. The person who was assisting me with my shopping (a teenager) was softspoken and I had alot of difficulty hearing him as a result. He spoke so softly that I had to ask him to repeat everything he said. After my third request for a repeat, he got really angry and asked, "What's the matter? Are you DEAF?!" I said, "Yes, actually I am." He immediately started apologizing to me over and over again and then raised his voice so I could hear him. Because of his repeated apologies, I almost didn't get my shopping done. :giggle:

@Bottesini, I'm the one hearingsister is talking about and it was funny to me because I deal with this ignorance all the time whereas it made her angry to see how foolish people can be. Any of the situations we are talking about would make someone angry......

@Bottesini, I'm the one hearingsister is talking about and it was funny to me because I deal with this ignorance all the time whereas it made her angry to see how foolish people can be. Any of the situations we are talking about would make someone angry......

Aha. Well I guess she is very much on your side. I would think it funny too. I am usually looking for the humor in everything.

Back