Funniest thing an uneducated person has said to you?

I thought it was her friend who lived like Amish, not Minty

Yes, but she was talking to the friend, who did not know about CC. If far away, needed technology to talk.:hmm:

Amish friend probably not possible.

Yes, but she was talking to the friend, who did not know about CC. If far away, needed technology to talk.:hmm:

Amish friend probably not possible.

that's why i said "live LIKE Amish." I mean I have heard of families who lived such... restrictive lifestyle such as... no games, no tv, curfew hours, limited interaction with friends, etc. I wonder if Minty's friend is like that or.... perhaps she's just too "simple-minded" as her mother said.

When I was in high school, I was working at a local grocery store.

One woman approached me and asked me something before I could have a chance to look at her face-to-face. She also spoke quickly, so I didn't catch what she said. I asked her to repeat and she spoke a bit slower. She was looking for a product that was located a few aisles behind her.

Anyways, after I told her what aisle to go to... she asked:

"So, what country are you from?"

"Huh? I'm from here. Why?"

"Oh... You didn't understand me at first. So, I thought you were a foreigner."

"No, I'm deaf."

"Oh, sorry... I don't speak deaf."

:roll:

Yes, Australia, and we talk regularly over the computer, and I know she has TV, but I don't know if she watches it much. She may be like me and doesn't watch it much, but unlike me in that I watch a lot of educational programming and she watches Simpsons or something. But I think her mother may be right.

.. oh my .. sparked a discussion =o

Yes, Australia, and we talk regularly over the computer, and I know she has TV, but I don't know if she watches it much. She may be like me and doesn't watch it much, but unlike me in that I watch a lot of educational programming and she watches Simpsons or something. But I think her mother may be right.

.. oh my .. sparked a discussion =o

oh ok! I guess I misunderstood or something :doh:

We love you anyway! :hug::nana:

rilla.gif
finger.gif

Wait a minute, did I see something mentioning about Australia??

Closed Captioning is the subtitles (similar) on TV for the hearing impaired... BUT it is not specifically for the hearing impaired, it can be for anyone. I was surprised, my 9 year old sister, turned on the captions when she was watching DVD, I wasn't around when it wasn't needed. It seems that she perfers it on.

When I was in high school, I was working at a local grocery store.

One woman approached me and asked me something before I could have a chance to look at her face-to-face. She also spoke quickly, so I didn't catch what she said. I asked her to repeat and she spoke a bit slower. She was looking for a product that was located a few aisles behind her.

Anyways, after I told her what aisle to go to... she asked:

"So, what country are you from?"

"Huh? I'm from here. Why?"

"Oh... You didn't understand me at first. So, I thought you were a foreigner."

"No, I'm deaf."

"Oh, sorry... I don't speak deaf."

:roll:
"Oh.. I don't speak hearing either"

:laugh2:

"mumbles something"
Me: "Pardon?"
*Annoyed*: "mumbles again"
Me: "Sorry, one more time?"
Angrily "What are you deaf or something?!?"
Me: "Actually, yes I am" (Shows HAs)
*Shamefaced* ".......Oh, sorry"

This has happened on numerous occasions, and it cracks me up everytime because the person is usually really rude about it until I say that.

And of course I get the people who start yelling and/or exaggerating their lips, so I can't understand them so I tell them again and again just talk normally and look at me, I can "speech read" not "dumbass read".

Off topic: I went to a hearing school and always dreaded playing "Telephone" because the kids were trying so hard to whisper and would end up just blowing air into my HA mic, oddly enough I was never allowed to sit out on the game.....

Would they think alcohol is absorbed through the ears? =s

I asked my friends what should be my reason for being deaf (since the real reason (possible genetics) is so boring). One of them said this:

"I thought he said 'Aural sex'"

Rude Customer

I was working with my sister and this one customer just blew my mind. She wrote an email (or sent a fax, I can't quite remember) about this really rude girl who was ignoring her as she was trying to order a coffee. She had tried to get her attention several times and was just completely ignored. She thought this was poor customer service and that this rude girl should be fired. (My sister is HOH and had her back to to the counter as she was working on another order).

I'm still furious about this customer and wanted to phone back and tell her not to assume that all people are as rude as her, but I didn't really have the authority to spout off to her.

I was working with my sister and this one customer just blew my mind. She wrote an email (or sent a fax, I can't quite remember) about this really rude girl who was ignoring her as she was trying to order a coffee. She had tried to get her attention several times and was just completely ignored. She thought this was poor customer service and that this rude girl should be fired. (My sister is HOH and had her back to to the counter as she was working on another order).

I'm still furious about this customer and wanted to phone back and tell her not to assume that all people are as rude as her, but I didn't really have the authority to spout off to her.
This is a thread of funny things, not anger.

When my husband and I came back from England my family took us out for breakfast the next morning and as we went around the table to say what we wanted my husband was last to speak his; as he was talking the waitress heard his British accent as he was talking, she turned her head to the side and asked where he was from. He replied the U.K. and she then proceeded to ask him how long he had been in this country to which he replied we landed the night before and her reply was very quick: "Dang you speak good ENGLISH for a foreigner! especially being here not even a whole day!" Needless to say as soon as she was out of range the whole table cracked up in hysterical laughter....

Back