Funniest thing an uneducated person has said to you?

Ouch!

I could say the same thing about d/Deaf McCain supporters, but since that isn't the point behind this thread, I'll refrain.

Go right ahead; there can't be more than a half dozen of us.

Of course it is.

I actually wonder why??

Isn't the same echo that we see on this thread of the party that is supported.

Echo.

Both parties keep echoing. In my opinion. I have not heard or seen anything new!!

Echo o o o.

I apologize this is not a political thread I will refrain from saying anything else in this matter

But I will say I had someone at work today if I could get the phone. Lol. She later apologized to me. She was so busy she just said she told the first person she saw to answer lol then I ran and told the first person I saw. Too late. Phone call was missed.

But we all had a good laught

Two questions I'm asked quite often by the uneducated are:

"Can your guide dog read traffic lights?"

and

"Will your guide dog take you to McDonald's if you tell her that's where you want to go?"

:roll:

I just remembered one my mom said a few weeks or so ago .. I hope I didn't already post it here .. but she said she thinks maybe I shouldn't run the rotortiller (sp) because it is loud and it will probably hurt my ears. :giggle:

I just remembered one my mom said a few weeks or so ago .. I hope I didn't already post it here .. but she said she thinks maybe I shouldn't run the rotortiller (sp) because it is loud and it will probably hurt my ears. :giggle:

That reminds me! I go to manufacturing places often, which are loud environments, and I've actually been FORCED to wear those ear blockers thingies because of "policy", which means I had to take off my hearing aids and put them in!

Oh the irony.

That reminds me! I go to manufacturing places often, which are loud environments, and I've actually been FORCED to wear those ear blockers thingies because of "policy", which means I had to take off my hearing aids and put them in!

Oh the irony.

Oh yeah, that happened to me too several years ago at a lumber processing plant, but I was not deaf yet at that time, only HOH .. well, deaf in one ear, HA in other. I had to put hearing protection in both, which made me totally deaf as long as I was at work!

Just love learning from your posts. My uncle, bless his heart, he learns more and more about me being DeafBlind although my whole family is Deaf. He wasn't sure what to make of my white cane because I arrived at a party with the white cane and he didn't see me previously with it, he motioned to the white cane. The intervenor (SSP) tactiled to me what my uncle said "What's that? The white cane? Does it vibrate or something?" Now can you imagine what was running in my mind.. my 52 inches white cane and it vibrates!! Now I wouldn't need men at all!!

Just love learning from your posts. My uncle, bless his heart, he learns more and more about me being DeafBlind although my whole family is Deaf. He wasn't sure what to make of my white cane because I arrived at a party with the white cane and he didn't see me previously with it, he motioned to the white cane. The intervenor (SSP) tactiled to me what my uncle said "What's that? The white cane? Does it vibrate or something?" Now can you imagine what was running in my mind.. my 52 inches white cane and it vibrates!! Now I wouldn't need men at all!!

Oh, Mrs. Bucket! That's hilarious! :laugh2: Tactile smile!

OH man, this thread is just too funny!!!

It's a running joke with me and my mom "You're not deaf, you're just faking!" To most it wouldn't be funny, but it is - I'm severe-profoundly Deaf, and sometimes when I'm not looking at her, but listening to her talk (not always TO me, but to other people) I'll catch a phrase here and there, and I'll respond. So it gets me that response. :-P

I remember when I was about 10, I was sitting in the back seat of my mom's car. She and her then-girlfriend were talking, and they were planning to take me to Clocks restaurant (in South FL) and surprise me with my favorite, a cherry pie. This was being said behind covered mouths so I wouldn't see. I, of course, understood and got all excited and squealed "CHERRY PIE!!!!" And they were shocked, and started teasing me "You're not deaf!" :)

My husband is hearing. Before we married, we were working at the same place, and it's really noisy. I didn't find out for a while that he was turning off his voice and was mouthing what he was saying to me. :-P He still does that sometimes.

Dumbest thing I've had happen: When I was in 6th grade, a girl who had just been told that I'm Deaf leaned over and said in my ear "Can you hear me now?"

I said no. :-P

I live in a good town that's pretty good with understanding Deaf culture - we have a Deaf school here, so people are more knowledgeable than if I had lived in a different town.

What I just love is when big businesses who have my phone number try to call. And then they leave a voice mail. And I'm supposed to respond, how...?

For a while I was having some financial difficulties, so I was behind on my T-Mobile bill. OFC they tried calling my cell. I got back at them though... I just hit "answer" and let them talk till they got mad and hung up. :D (I hate the 'missed call' icon!)

LMAO!! I am cracking up.

Does everyone want to pool in money to get Mrs. Bucket a custom made vibrating cane? :lol:

OH man, this thread is just too funny!!!

It's a running joke with me and my mom "You're not deaf, you're just faking!" To most it wouldn't be funny, but it is - I'm severe-profoundly Deaf, and sometimes when I'm not looking at her, but listening to her talk (not always TO me, but to other people) I'll catch a phrase here and there, and I'll respond. So it gets me that response. :-P

I remember when I was about 10, I was sitting in the back seat of my mom's car. She and her then-girlfriend were talking, and they were planning to take me to Clocks restaurant (in South FL) and surprise me with my favorite, a cherry pie. This was being said behind covered mouths so I wouldn't see. I, of course, understood and got all excited and squealed "CHERRY PIE!!!!" And they were shocked, and started teasing me "You're not deaf!" :)

My husband is hearing. Before we married, we were working at the same place, and it's really noisy. I didn't find out for a while that he was turning off his voice and was mouthing what he was saying to me. :-P He still does that sometimes.

Dumbest thing I've had happen: When I was in 6th grade, a girl who had just been told that I'm Deaf leaned over and said in my ear "Can you hear me now?"

I said no. :-P

I live in a good town that's pretty good with understanding Deaf culture - we have a Deaf school here, so people are more knowledgeable than if I had lived in a different town.

What I just love is when big businesses who have my phone number try to call. And then they leave a voice mail. And I'm supposed to respond, how...?

For a while I was having some financial difficulties, so I was behind on my T-Mobile bill. OFC they tried calling my cell. I got back at them though... I just hit "answer" and let them talk till they got mad and hung up. :D (I hate the 'missed call' icon!)

Wow I have had so many common experiences with this post! I'm profoundly deaf, but have gone through the whole range over the past, oh, about 10 years, starting with excellent hearing. My grandpa, for crying outloud, still calls me and leaves voicemail! I can tell because it shows his name on caller ID. I think everybody in my family knows by now that if there a jet engine glued to either of my ears, I wouldn't know whether it was running or not if I couldn't feel it vibrate. In other words, I'm totally deaf. My body doesn't even remember a sense of hearing at all. By brain sure does! It's always tapping into strange senses all over my body trying to find it. I'm convinced that's what's happening because I start "hearing" weird body functions or random broken up memories. Anyway, back to topic =s Yeah, I wonder when my voicemail box is finally gonna fill up. I wish I could hear the voice prompt one last time so I could record "You have reach a number that is monitored by a deaf user. Leave a message if you like, but odds are, nobody will ever listen to it." (or just telling them to text me).

I went through that stage where I could pick up on conversations that were taking place with backs turned from time to time, and I got that, "You're feigning deaf" response too. Now, there are times when I can't see what's being said, and I certainly can't hear it, and I don't even have any observable clues that the person is even talking, but I just know what's being said. I know it! I know the person who's saying it very well, I'm very well tuned into the context of what's happening around me, and I just know what they're saying, and so I respond. I'm sure I'm not the only one to experience this. And hearing people are just astonished I knew what was said! People can try that "cover your mouth" trick on me, but I'll probably find some way to figure out what you're saying. If my brain is confronted with a mystery, it can't resist analysing every bit of data it can find and figuring it out. I just can't stop it from doing that. It's not magic. It's not hearing. But there are clues, hundreds and hundreds of clues, and if my brain is curious enough, it will find them and decipher them.

"Hear me now" - the easiest three words in a row in the world to lipread for me. You don't need to even see anything but the middle of the bottom lip, and it's clear as glass. My grampa, with his big beard and mustache, says that to me a lot. What is he thinking? He's deaf! He's .. deaf with a lower case d, but yeah, he should still know better. And my dad says that a lot. And why do people insist upon trying to talk to me while I'm driving. Sorry, moving on....

I think some people turn their voice off when they're talking to me. When they do that, I think they inadvertently turn off a few of the clues I get to what they're saying. For example, their throat moves in a certain way when they say certain words, but if their voice is off, they don't move their throat as much. But that's okay. If I've had my coffee that morning, I can probably still catch what they're saying. Better yet, just sign it. I'm sick of lipreading anyway.

I live in (or rather near) a small town where nobody knows what being deaf is or what it means or how it's possible to do anything without hearing. I was pleasantly surprised when I got pulled over by a cup who knew exactly how to talk to me. He acted very natural, and didn't make me nervous about it. I was still nervous though because I always get nervous when I get pulled over, even when I've done nothing wrong. It's just that if they THINK I've done something wrong, they screw up my life. Oh, and the people at my dentist seem very well trained to deal with people that are deaf/hoh, but it's clear the way they act that it's pure training and no practical experience.

Hmmm, I'm debating whether to post this here because I've probably gone off topic too much. Well, what's the worst that could happen? You'll all come to my house and spray it down with lead.
:Ohno: :bye: :run: :scatter: :rl:
:Owned:

SimplyMints, about going off topic, I never call folks on it because the longer a thread goes, it is usually nearing its useful end so a little diversion is good to rejuvenate it. I like getting off the freeway and going along the by-ways for those are the most interesting of places to visit!

SimplyMints, about going off topic, I never call folks on it because the longer a thread goes, it is usually nearing its useful end so a little diversion is good to rejuvenate it. I like getting off the freeway and going along the by-ways for those are the most interesting of places to visit!

I hope this thread is not nearly finished because the stories I'm reading here are very amusing :)

I had a roommate many years ago that had RP. When she would talk to people, she would turn her head to line them into her peripheral vision. It was amazing how many people would then adjust their position so that they were facing her head on. She would then be forced to turn her head again to catch them in her peripheral vision. Sometimes it would seem that the poor girl's head was going to fall off from constantly having to readjust! People that didn't know her well would just assume that she could not locate them because she would turn to them from the side.

You should have seen how the other driver from incoming traffic reacted when he saw my ex aunt in law was driving with her head turned about 90 degree sideways! We laughed when she was telling us about it. She has that peripheral vision issue, too.

Today I had an amusing experience. After getting into a cab, the driver asked me my destination. I told him and then suggested the route I wanted him to take. Then he asked me, "Why? Because it's cheaper?" I felt like saying, "No. Because I enjoy the view." (Note sarcasm: I'm totally blind) Yeah, right. Like I *want* to pay more money to get to where I'm going. Obviously, he wasn't thinking. :lol:

Last week, I had one of the FUNNIEST TDD conversations while I was calling a hospital to find out more about cochlear implants through a relay operator:

Me: Hi I would like to find out more information about cochlear implant services in Birmingham. GA

RelayOp: The what implant services? GA

Me: cochlear implant GA

RelayOp: Could you spell that out for me? GA

*after waiting 10 seconds and no response*

Me: C O C H L E A R … GA

Back