Funding Cuts Cause Concern For Deaf School’s Future

Miss-Delectable

Reaction score
Funding Cuts Cause Concern For Deaf School’s Future - News Story - WSOC Charlotte

Parents are concerned over the future of the North Carolina School for the Deaf, located in Morganton, after cuts in state funding.

"I can't say strong enough how important this school is,” parent Brenda Patton said.

Parents, former teachers and students gathered at Western Piedmont Community College Friday morning to share concerns about recent cuts in hours and programs, along with a proposal from the Department of Health and Human Services’ Office of Education Service to close or consolidate three blind and deaf schools located in Raleigh, Morganton and Wilson.

I know we [have] got a fight ahead of us and folks, we're going to take it to them,” Tony Smith, from the State Employees Association of North Carolina, said.

Earlier this year, the school cut class hours and a Sunday night residency program in an effort to trim thousands from its budget.

“Ninety-five percent of our parents can't communicate with [the students] at home,” a dorm coordinator said. “Ninety-five percent. And that's why we need to keep the school open and on Sundays."

Currently, 98 students are enrolled at the school. The budget stands at $9.7 million.

For years, local lawmakers have fought proposals to close or consolidate the state’s three blind and deaf schools in the state. This year, they will face another battle.

"The long-range plan is a reality, to close the eastern and the western school for the deaf,” state House Rep. Mitch Gillespie said. “That is a reality that we have to face."

At Friday’s meeting, school supporters suggested coming up with a bill of rights for deaf students and finding funding for the Sunday night program.

Many people expressed concern that students will be mainstreamed if the school closes.

"Students that are mainstreamed I've met are just isolated,” parent Martha Bradley said. “They really don't have any friends. Their best friend is their interpreter."

Gov. Beverly Perdue’s most recent budget proposal keeps funding for the school in place, but the final decision will come from lawmakers. They will return to Raleigh next week.

o close or consolidate three blind and deaf schools located in Raleigh, Morganton and Wilson.
I think they need to consolidate the Deaf Schools. Later on, maybe they could reopen one of the campuses. For the blind school, they should temporarily shut it..they should funnel students to other types of programs. I do know that most blind students are multihandicapped. Not severely multihandicapped, but still multihandicapped.
Maybe a good idea would be for North Carolina and South Carolina to join in on a regional blind school. (for both of the states) Blindness is a pretty low incidence disabilty.

Truly unfortunate

Although I understand that managing a state budget is no easy task, I cannot help but wonder why these situations arise (in my home state of New York they seem to be a common occurrence).

Back