Frustration with a Capital F

AquaBlue

Reaction score
My biggest flaw as a person is my impatience when learning a new subject. Satisfaction is nowhere to be found when learning ASL. I always want to learn more (much, much more) than what I learned so far. The rate at which is not acceptable. All my deaf friends tell me that I am improving at a very steady, prompt fashion. But I feel that they are just being kind. I mean I know I am progressing but the (strong) feeling of dissatisfaction lingers- its a real downer. What can I do to ease those negative, impatient emotions?

Grrr!

I learned ASL rather late, and it took time for me to get rid of the "broken English" feeling, and I had to learn to let myself go and let it (ASL) come from inside me. You'll get it if you loosen up and forget what you were taught in English class! :)

Well it is not that I get it (or not), it's that I want to be fluent yeaterday. I am always driven to learn things as fast as I can and I don't know why I'm like that. My mental engine is ALWAYS at full throttle because I have a great need to learn my new subject faster than fast.

I need to learn to break that drive and take things slowly. Doing just that is not at all easy for me. Any suggestions my friends?

It takes a lot of time. Just keep going to events where ASL is used..everyone is different with the pace they learn it at.

If all else fails, try Ritalin. Sorry if it's a bad joke! But you need to learn to slow down and take your time and enjoy the process rather than rushing to get to the finish line.

What I need to do is breath deeply and exhale slowly. It is almost like (sort of) mental anxiety. Weird I know. I just need to chill.

My biggest flaw as a person is my impatience when learning a new subject. Satisfaction is nowhere to be found when learning ASL. I always want to learn more (much, much more) than what I learned so far. The rate at which is not acceptable. All my deaf friends tell me that I am improving at a very steady, prompt fashion. But I feel that they are just being kind. I mean I know I am progressing but the (strong) feeling of dissatisfaction lingers- its a real downer. What can I do to ease those negative, impatient emotions?

Grrr!

Just continue to get feedback from your deaf friends. They are the best resource in telling you if you are doing good or not.

Their complement tells me that you are doing really good--at least - you're not slacking. :)

They tell me that I am doing just fine, perfectly actually- so they tell me. It's just frustration. I hate it. It does't go away.

Aquablue, sign everything you say. If you don't know a sign, go home and look it up on aslpro.com. Then keep signing everything you say. It annoys some hearing people to death, but boy do you learn fast! I picked up ASL in a year doing this.

Another good thing is to interpret song lyrics, and to think of many ways of signing something, e.g. the more literal way and then another way using classifiers that grasps the concept more.

Good luck!

They tell me that I am doing just fine, perfectly actually- so they tell me. It's just frustration. I hate it. It does't go away.

i know what that's like. i used to feel the same way when i started learning asl. my main difficulty with asl centered around understanding the grammatical rules more than the signs. i found that participating in the deaf community as much as possible was the most effective way for me to accelerate my knowledge of asl. try not to be so hard on yourself. (i know it's easier said than done!) hang in there!

Grrr!

Have you read my blog, honey? You'll see that i share your sentiments, somewhat. I feel your pain, I really do. :(

Back