frustrated, advice pls?

sevendaisy

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm so frustrated. I'm taking ASL classes right now and it is really frustrating. The instructor is profoundly deaf from birth, also Deaf, fluent in ASL (obviously LOL). She is really nice & patient. But my problem is this. I'm only hard of hearing and hearing aids dont really help a lot in this situation. So I cant talk to her because I have trouble hearing and understanding her, and I cant talk to her in ASL because Im such a beginner, and I suck at lipreading still.

Does anyone have any suggestions..?

:(

I'm Hoh/Deaf and when I was taking classes ( I was raised oral - so I learned ASL later on) All my classes where at the Deaf Community Centre here , and All my instructors were Deaf.

All my classes where 'voice off' so there was zero talking ... if we had a question we either wrote it out, or used a combination of signs and fingerspelling to get the message across.

What particularly are you getting frustrated with ... perhaps we can help ???

Does your asl teacher understand u when u use asl with her? Do u try to use ASL with her , u learned in class? It takes time and practice to improve ASL. I am patient with my future daughter in law whom she takes ASL 2 this semster, she is upset with her teacher who is CODA cuz he talks too much and not enough teach ASL in her class so she wasted her $200 with his class. She may have to take ASL 2 again next semster with a different teacher.

Well, you might need to use what little signs you've learned so far to try and talk with her.

Of course there's always fingerspelling. However, it might be tedious for some.

Lastly, there's always writing.

By the way, good luck with learning ASL. And don't give up on it!

jazzy said:
Does your asl teacher understand u when u use asl with her? Do u try to use ASL with her , u learned in class? It takes time and practice to improve ASL. I am patient with my future daughter in law whom she takes ASL 2 this semster, she is upset with her teacher who is CODA cuz he talks too much and not enough teach ASL in her class so she wasted her $200 with his class. She may have to take ASL 2 again next semster with a different teacher.
JAZZY.. Yowch! Can your future daughter in law ask him "in a nice way" not to use voice? The teacher CANNOT penalize her for asking

SEVENDAISY - you could use paper/pencil.. gesture.. If the meeting is very important, can request interpreter.

Good luck to both of you SevenDaisy and Jazzy's future daughter in law :fingersx:

hi there... i am hearing, and i have never really been in an ASL class, nor in a deaf environment whatsover... but i feel what you feel b/c i am like that in most of my upper level science classes... i feel lost, b/c i feel like the teacher is speaking some foreign lanugage... even after he explains everything to me... sometimes it's harder to get an explanation from him b/c it comes very natural for him and he gets a little frustrated... so WHAT i do.. is...

ask another student for help, make sure you are on the same track as they are... same homework... pass notes to each other... email... get a group study together before/after class... or get a tutor. sometimes, they really are more patient than the teachers, b/c they know where you are coming from and they are so much more comfortable to deal with.

Back