From Hard to Soft Earmolds

city3f39

Reaction score
Well tomorrow I got back to my audiologist, and get soft earmolds for my hearing aids. I suppose I should say a bit about me.

Last fall, I finally decided to have my hearing tested, after years of struggling to hear things. I went and found I have a severe hearing loss in both ears. (60 db). I was given a choice of some hearing aids, and decided on Phonak Una's. Even though I am 39, I decided to be different, and got transparent blue BTE's. I love them. They are my first pair of hearing aids, so I don't know what to compare them to, but they are amazing. I am hearing so much that I never realized was there.

Anyways, the only problems I have had with them, is I have clear acrylic earmolds, and when I smile or laugh, I loose the seal, and all the background noise that the hearing aids get rid of, sneaks through, and I am basically back to where I was without them. Tomorrow, my new soft earmolds are going to be fitted and installed. I am anxious to see if they will help me maintain the seal I need.

I would be interested in hearing from anyone who has had the similar happen to them, and have had to change earmolds, to hear better. Also, if anyone would like to share what they have for earmolds, type, material, color (and post photos). I am planning photos of mine before the new molds and after in a future post.

Thanks in advance!

all soft ear moulds are best exspecially when you talk or laugh. your ear shape moves therefor soft mould blends your ear movement. it stops your aids from whistling.

Originally I had hard acrylic molds (first a skeleton then a half skeleton) - however I always found it uncomfortable and "slippy" when it got hot out or I exercised and sweat a bit - which of course causes both feedback/squealing and sometimes sore spots.

I asked to switch to the soft molds (got swirly blue & green) because I thought they would work best for ME. My audiologist agreed to let me try - even though "technically the acrylic molds are more appropriate for my type of hearing loss".

I LOVE the soft silicone molds!!! They are far more comfortable, stay put, don't squeal and I think I actaully hear better with them than I did with the acrylic mold!

I'd definitely recommend them to anyone who has ANY ear mold issues such as slipping, squealing, sound issues when eating/chewing etc ... they're great - I just wish I thought to push for them sooner!!

Back