From Deaf To Hearing

eliotj

Reaction score
In response to the advertisement for HEARACLE.COM at the top:

I've asked a few Deaf people if they would like to be able to hear.
So far, I've not had one tell me they would choose to hear.

If I ask a child, I usually get either "I'm not sure" or "yes". If I ask an adult, which I've done, over 30 years old, I've not had one tell me "yes". I've had them tell me they are happy with being Deaf.

Any opionions?

I'm not big on bone conduction aids cause it buzzes your head up.

Richard

Me become hearing? I'd scream NOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

It's not like were forcing it on you. The technology and the biogenetics are there available to you like apples sitting in a grocery store. Anyways I have no problems if they use sex appeal to market it like some of the girls from the cochlear implant companies using their tongues a lot and wagging their buns while talking to their booth visitors like nymphos.

Richard

In response to the advertisement for HEARACLE.COM at the top:

I've asked a few Deaf people if they would like to be able to hear.
So far, I've not had one tell me they would choose to hear.

If I ask a child, I usually get either "I'm not sure" or "yes". If I ask an adult, which I've done, over 30 years old, I've not had one tell me "yes". I've had them tell me they are happy with being Deaf.

Any opionions?

How many deaf adults have you asked? I don't know any deaf adults that are using hearacle, so it's hard to know if it has been successful or not. Does it work on people who became deaf from spinal menigitis? What if their cochlear was blocked by bone growth fluid?

A similar question was asked to my deaf friend, who is in his early 20's, in front of me by a hearing, (i'm hearing as well). The person said don't you want to hear, my friend said no. The person asked why, my friend said i LOVE being Deaf. The person said why would you want that?? I took offense. it felt the same for me as when people ask me why i would want to be gay. It's who i am, i love being gay and wouldn't want to change that! I told the guy right then it is who he is, he's Deaf has always been Deaf. Loves his beautiful language. Loves his culture. Why would he want to become something that he isn't?? My friend said EXACTLY! For those who want to hear great! i have to say from personal experience i love hearing LOL. Although now that i have met so many Deaf not hearing is not as scary to me as it used to be. The thought of oh what would i do how would i live aren't there because i know, (for the most part) the changes that would have to be made. It has been very eye opening. Anyway, back to the subject at hand. Everyone has the right to go in any direction they choose. All Deaf i have met have loved the fact that they are Deaf and wouldn't change it for the world. They also don't have a problem with those who wear HA or any other device. To each his own

Last edited:
A similar question was asked to my deaf friend, who is in his early 20's, in front of me by a hearing, (i'm hearing as well). The person said don't you want to hear, my friend said no. The person asked why, my friend said i LOVE being Deaf. The person said why would you want that?? I took offense. it felt the same for me as when people ask me why i would want to be gay. It's who i am, i love being gay and wouldn't want to change that! I told the guy right then it is who he is, he's Deaf has always been Deaf. Loves his beautiful language. Loves his culture. Why would he want to become something that he isn't?? My friend said EXACTLY! For those who want to hear great! i have to say from personal experience i love hearing LOL. Although now that i have met so many Deaf not hearing is not as scary to me as it used to be. The thought of oh what would i do how would i live aren't there because i know, (for the most part) the changes that would have to be made. It has been very eye opening. Anyway, back to the subject at hand. Everyone has the right to go in any direction they choose. All Deaf i have met have loved the fact that they are Deaf and wouldn't change it for the world. They also don't have a problem with those who wear HA or any other device. To each his own
Good answer. I feel the same way about having Asperger's (autism). When I see the "Cure Autism Now!" campaigns out, I get mad since I want to stay this way. Same with being asexual. Some think I am missing out on sex, but I don't see what I'm depriving myself of since I have a wonderful girlfriend who's also asexual and who loves me a great deal.

I've asked my son the same question several times at different points in his life. His answer is always the same--"No." He's very comfortable with being deaf.

The only time his reply was any different was when he was about 6 and I realized that he thought I was deaf, too because I always signed with him or when in his company and talking to a hearie. He was very angry when I explained that I was not deaf, and I asked him if he wanted to be hearing like mommy. He signed, "No! Want mommy deaf""

I feel the same way about having Asperger's (autism). When I see the "Cure Autism Now!" campaigns out, I get mad since I want to stay this way.
Sorry for going OT gnulinxman, but what if scientists cured the severe autism? And I mean I find it kind of odd that there are people who are all "rah rah rah, Aspie/autistic pride!" and then in their next breath they start complaining and bitching that they have no friends.
I wouldn't want to be cured. I like being able to hear, but it's nice being able to turn off that sound at night!

You have only asked Deaf people with capital D?

What's that supposed to mean?

When I refer to Deaf people, I use the capitol D because I'm asking Deaf people as a part of the Deaf community, which I am not a part of.
I respect most people, but if you're trying to imply something just skip anything and get right to the point.

Say what you mean and mean what you say.

How many deaf adults have you asked? I don't know any deaf adults that are using hearacle, so it's hard to know if it has been successful or not. Does it work on people who became deaf from spinal menigitis? What if their cochlear was blocked by bone growth fluid?

I don't really know anything about hearacle, it just made me thing because a while back when I first started interacting with the Deaf community I was told by many that they'd remain deaf even if there was a way to make them hear.
Later this prompted me to ask people.
So far, I've only asked three adults; the response was the same from each.
They prefer to remain a part of the Deaf community as deaf persons.

I don't care if I could can hear or not. If I deaf, I don't care. if I could hear, I don't care. I will be happy no matter what the situation is as long as I still have my family.

pray tell, who are deaf people with a lowercase d?

quite personally anyone who attempts to make the distinction between the capital D and a lowercase d in the word deaf is a deaftard with a capital D

Specifying the capitol D is sign of respect and signifies the Deaf community and someone that is a part of that community. I have a friend that is deaf, but only a few years ago did he lose his hearing. He's not part of the Deaf community, he's just deaf. I think this will change.

I've asked my son the same question several times at different points in his life. His answer is always the same--"No." He's very comfortable with being deaf.

The only time his reply was any different was when he was about 6 and I realized that he thought I was deaf, too because I always signed with him or when in his company and talking to a hearie. He was very angry when I explained that I was not deaf, and I asked him if he wanted to be hearing like mommy. He signed, "No! Want mommy deaf""

AWWW that is so cute!

Back